Last week we helped acquaint you and the newest cotton-top tamarin pair at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Gemma and Draco. The pair has been delighting guests all week. If you haven’t had a chance to visit yet, we’ve got you covered!
Check out these photos to see the pair exploring their new home!
Did you know…?
- Cotton-top tamarins are a critically endangered species of primate found only in the tropical forests of Colombia. This 1-pound monkey lives 8-10 years in the wild and the median life expectancy in zoos is 11.2 years.
- Cotton-top tamarins live in social groups of 2-10 individuals.
- Females, on average, give birth to twins annually and parental care in this species is shared by all group members.
- Pairs breed every 28 weeks in captivity, but once a year in the wild. The birth period in the wild appears to be linked to the rainy season when there is the greatest abundance of fruit and insects in the diet.
- Disney’s Animal Programs’ team members have helped coordinate cotton-top tamarin pairings since 1997 through the Association of Zoos and Aquariums’ (AZA) Species Survival Plan (SSP).
- The word ‘tamarin’ translates to ‘tití’(pronounced tee-tee) in Spanish. Proyecto Tití’s conservation program works to protect cotton-top tamarins in their tropical forest home in Colombia by having a 20+ year study of these amazing animals that has given us new insights into what they need to survive in the wild. Since field studies alone won’t save cotton-top tamarins, Proyecto Tití has also developed innovative strategies to empower local communities to get involved and benefit from conservation activities!
- Kids in Colombia are involved in conservation, too! Check out the video below to learn more about Proyecto Tití’s programs and the impact they have had on the community and cotton-top tamarin conservation efforts!
On your next visit to Disney’s Animal Kingdom, be sure to stop by and welcome Draco and Gemma into their new home!
This week we’re taking a sweet stop at the Confectionary on Main Street, U.S.A. I love so many of the treats inside – from the specialty apples and Mickey crispy treats to my personal favorite, the chocolate-covered pineapple skewers.
According to this sign, the Confectionary is the home of ___. Do you remember the missing words? If so, tell us in the comments section below. We’ll post the answer later today.
This summer, we asked you to share what makes you happiest at the Disneyland Resort in our #GetHappier Instagram contest. Well, the winner has been chosen, and it’s Mary Powell from Nevada! As our grand prize winner, Mary will receive a trip for four to the Disneyland Resort – sure to make anyone get happier! I recently asked Mary for the story behind this adorable winning photo.
She seems to be very excited to meet Mickey Mouse! Has she seen him again since this photo was taken?
She was very happy to meet Mickey. She has seen him again since this picture and still loves him, although multiple princesses are making their way up her list of favorites.
What happened right after this photo was taken?
It was a pretty magical moment for everyone in the room. We really didn’t want to leave, Lydia (our daughter) included. Thankfully we were there with lots of family and there were other kids in our family that we got to meet Mickey.
We can see what makes her happy at Disneyland … what makes you happy here?
That moment is one of many that makes us love Disneyland. It is those magical moments that seem to come around every corner that sets Disneyland apart. We have gone as single people, a married couple without children, and now are passing our Disney love to the next generation. Each stage is a unique experience at Disneyland but it is always a happy and memorable experience. I love that there is something for everyone and even with a 5-month-old we were able to enjoy plenty of attractions, shows and experiences.
What is the first thing you’re going to do when you arrive on your grand prize trip to the Disneyland Resort?
The first thing we always look forward to is coming out from under the bridge at the entrance of Disneyland and getting that first glimpse of Main Street and the castle. Both my parents grew up going to Disneyland. They actually were both there the first week that Disneyland opened at 5 and 7 years old. It is an experience we have all shared over the years.
Today, I’m thrilled to share a new image featuring PANDORA Jewelry created especially for Disney Parks. Coming this November, PANDORA’s Disney jewelry collection features hand-finished .925 sterling silver and 14K gold charms inspired by some of Disney’s most beloved characters.
In case you can’t make it to Disneyland Resort to taste all the delectable pumpkin treats we mentioned in last week’s pumpkin cheesecake recipe post, here’s one more recipe we just had to share: hearty pumpkin muffins packed with the flavors of sweet golden raisins, nutmeg and cinnamon. A crunch on streusel on top makes them perfect with coffee to start the day.
We’ve just finalized plans for our next Disney Parks Blog Meet-Up and it’s one you’ll not want to miss. On November 2, 2014, we’re offering the opportunity to be part of a special preview screening of the Walt Disney Animation Studios film “Big Hero 6” at AMC Downtown Disney 24 at Walt Disney World Resort before it opens in U.S. theaters on November 7.
Yoo-Hoo! Have you heard? Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post, one of the most popular parts of last summer’s “Frozen Summer Fun LIVE!” event at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, is back and staying put through the holidays!
Can you feel the chill in the air? ‘Frozen’ has taken over the newly themed Anna & Elsa’s Boutique in the Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort. Here’s a look at some of the magical transformations taking place!
So do you think you love Disney? Do you think you love Disney enough to run 13.1 miles? If the answer is yes to both questions, you are not alone. Christine Cheng and Anthony Tsang’s love for Disney and each other have put them on the course to love runDisney.
Halloween is almost upon us and “Grim, Grinning, Ghosts” are coming “Out to Socialize!”