Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

Disney Volunteer Celebration Spreads

posted on September 29th, 2009 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Our “Give a Day, Get a Disney Day” celebration may have started in Chicago with Mickey and Minnie but it certainly didn’t end there — it spread around the nation and into Canada.

Give a Day, Get a Disney Day in Los Angeles, CA

In California, Disney Company President and CEO Bob Iger, celebrities and 125 volunteers helped construct frames of houses to help low-income families. As part of the volunteer effort, Teri Hatcher and James Denton hammered away to build Lynwood homes.

Give a Day, Get a Disney Day in Miami, FL

Walt Disney World President Meg Crofton and the Disney VoluntEARS joined the community around the Miami River in South Florida for volunteer work. The projects included shoreline restoration, enlarging a community garden, landscaping and other work to revitalize the community. Disney characters Donald and Daisy Duck helped with the volunteer work.

Give a Day, Get a Disney Day in Atlanta, GA

Also, Disney Parks and Resorts joined volunteers to revitalize Butler Street YMCA in Atlanta, GA. Volunteers constructed an amphitheater, planted and painted to beautify the facility and the surrounding area. Disney characters Goofy and Pluto were also “digging” the volunteer effort at the YMCA.

And volunteers in Toronto helped revitalize the grounds at the Toronto Zoo – they painted, planted and cleaned up the public zoo areas.

Remember, if you perform a similar day of volunteer service for a participating organization beginning on January 1, you’ll receive a one-day admission ticket to a Walt Disney World or Disneyland theme park. When the program launches, it’ll be as easy as signing up, volunteering and then redeeming your ticket.

In upcoming weeks, we’ll be spreading the volunteer message throughout the nation. We’re working with Southwest Airlines to provide transportation for a 20-city tour that’ll include a few surprises. We’ll be posting updates on the @DisneyParks Twitter account and on The Disney Parks Blog.

Here are some details you need to know: Must pre-register and sign up for eligible volunteer opportunity at disneyparks.com. Ticket quantities for this program are limited. Must be at least age 6 to participate. Other terms and conditions apply. For details, see disneyparks.com in the United States and Puerto Rico. In Canada, see disneyparks.ca.

Filed: Disney Differences, Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

11 Comments 1 Reply

Friend on September 29th, 2009 at 5:33 pm

That is such exciting news! I hope you’re coming to Houston!

Lee on September 29th, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Great job everyone! Glad to see our CEO out there with everyone else volunteering. :)

Miguel from FL on September 29th, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Miguel From Southwest Airlines
This Event Was Great,,I Travel For Free,,,Tell me Where The Next Events,,ill Be THERE,,Showing My Southwest Airlines Spirit !!!!!

Jacob on September 29th, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Wow! This is a great idea. I’ve said this before in another comment, but this seems like something Walt would have done. Bravo for rewarding people for community outreach. You guys could have just offered free days for anything, but doing it for charity work is great. Thanks, for trying to make the world a better place. Walt’s spirit lives on.

Claudia from FL on September 30th, 2009 at 4:02 am

This promotion has a lot of good things going for it, except that it is only for those living in the US or Canada… what about us in the rest of the world? Will there be anything similar happening? Even the Celebrations promotion was valid for citizens of other countries outside N. America… don’t forget us please!

gary on September 30th, 2009 at 10:43 am

I believe this is a wonderful idea.

Mark from GA on September 30th, 2009 at 11:48 am

Gawrsh!! I live in Atlanta and if I had known my boy Goof was going to be in town I would have stopped by to say hello!

Good job, Disney!

Lisa on September 30th, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Hey, so I went to the site to pre-register but it said I can’t pre-register right now. When will we be able to PRE register so we can get started in january?

Thomas on September 30th, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Hi Lisa. Starting January 1, 2010, you may sign up for the program on the site. You can then search and select from a list of eligible volunteer opportunities.

Robert from MI on September 30th, 2009 at 4:42 pm

This is a wonderful program.

Daniel from MI on September 30th, 2009 at 6:16 pm

My family will be coming to WDW the first week of April I know the dates are blacked out but what about the special Fast Passes offered we already have our tickets. I could not find that info on the website. Thank you in advance.

Brian on October 1st, 2009 at 11:16 am

I will be celebrating my honeymoon the first 2 weeks in May in Disney World. I hope this comes through MI so i can get another day in the park since they only let you purchase a 10 day ticket with your package. I can see this being a great success, they should find some way to track how much progress they made for the community through the program.