Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom Park

Halloween Time at Disneyland Resort Features New Attractions – Ghost Galaxy at Space Mountain

posted on September 28th, 2009 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

Hi, I’m Heather, Social Media Manager at Disneyland Resort. On the Disney Parks Blog we’re offering some behind-the-scenes looks and updates from around our properties.

Our first update is a big one as Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure Parks have a whole new look. Mickey and Friends are decked out in their Halloween best, and the Disney Villains have some tricks up their sleeves for Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort. Guests will enjoy the spooky atmosphere and this year’s new attractions.

Space Mountain riders will be launched into an uncharted and haunted section of the universe on the new Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. Out of the darkness and swirling galaxies of Space Mountain, ghosts try to pluck riders from their seats as they speed through space. The drops and curves of the journey are even scarier with piercing screams and haunting music.

Check out the video below, and you just might get goosebumps.

Scare alert: If you find these haunting thrills too frightening you can still enjoy the outside of Space Mountain. The mountain’s exterior will transform into a show that includes new lights, audio and eerie images.

Can’t visit the Parks during the Halloween time but still want to be a part of the fun? Then go to www.disneyland.com/halloween and check out the games and crafts. You can play with the Disney Villains and print out coloring sheets and fun masks.

Tagged: , , , , ,

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Michael on September 28th, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Will this overlay for Space Mountain ever make it to Walt Disney World?

Jackey on September 28th, 2009 at 1:18 pm

That looks stellar! I hate it when Disneyland gets something cool and WDW doesn’t.

BRANDY from LA on September 28th, 2009 at 1:26 pm

pretty cool

Lee on September 28th, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Would be fantastic to see something both similar but different happen at Walt Disney World. It’s always great seeing holiday themed attractions at the parks.

Monica from NC on September 28th, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Space Mountain was my favorite roller coaster as a child. I’m waiting for my girls to get a little bit taller and them hopefully I can take them on the ride too… This looks so awesome too!

Christian from CA on September 28th, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Oh no, the video shows the surprise at the end of the ride.

Richard from LA on September 28th, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Please use a video format other than Flash so Disney fans with iPhones can also see them!

Elaine on September 28th, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Halloween Screams fireworks show was fantastic!! And so was Ghost Galaxy.

Robert from MI on September 28th, 2009 at 2:14 pm

I would also love to see this at WDW!!!

Sean on September 28th, 2009 at 2:17 pm

What a great looking attraction. I’d love to see something like this at the Magic Kingdom. I really miss all the seasonal overlays for the attractions.

Jacob on September 28th, 2009 at 2:59 pm

It looks awesome, but please bring this to WDW!!! We would like some holiday overlays to our attractions too!

Lisa from CT on September 28th, 2009 at 3:09 pm

It would be so cool if Space Mountain at the Magic Kingdom could get a Halloween overlay like this! I’m so jealous of our friends in CA!

Deb from LA on September 28th, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I sure wish that this was at Walt Disney World, too. It looks awesome. Thanks for putting it up here for us to see.

Jake from FL on September 28th, 2009 at 3:26 pm

I hope they show the East Coast some love and put in something similar at WDW after the rehab. The seasonal overlays are awesome! I heard the new cars will seat 2 people side by side and have a sound system similar to Rock n Roller Coaster. Is that true?

Jennifer on September 28th, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Please Please Please bring this to Florida!

Ken on September 28th, 2009 at 3:47 pm

MUST…NOT….CLICK

I don’t want to spoil it.

I’ll be there for the final night. 16 and a half hour journey from Liverpool UK to Anaheim. Arrive Friday night in the park Saturday morning….

first time at Disneyland also….. :-D

Krista on September 28th, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I will have to say that I am not too sad we have something WDW doesn’t have. WDW often gets things first and then it goes to Disneyland. So, I do know how you guys feel.

Hopefully you guys will get it next Halloween season. It looks pretty cool. I can’t wait to see it.

Lee from FL on September 28th, 2009 at 4:28 pm

^”I heard the new cars will seat 2 people side by side and have a sound system similar to Rock n Roller Coaster. Is that true?”
Not true at all.
The refurb of Space at MK is very…um….minimal. No changes to the trains at all. No audio, etc.
Putting Ghost Galaxy at MK would require MUCH work to SM. Don’t hold your breath….

Nancie from FL on September 28th, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Looks fab. I’m glad it’s starting at the original Disney property although I hear it started in Japan. Any truth to that? Disneyland is so much better than the Magic Kingdom for rides.

maya from GA on September 28th, 2009 at 5:37 pm

It sounds great but it would be even better if both walt disney world and disneyland had it! It would also be great if WDW had any type of on or off board audio! It would be nice to see the type of exterior lighting that disneyland has on WDW’s!

Chris on September 28th, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Super cool. One of these years I hope to get to the park during the Halloween season. Looks very fun!

Cindy from CA on September 28th, 2009 at 6:53 pm

This was pretty cool! Loves the new Halloween firework spectacular!

Tricia from MI on September 28th, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Awesome!! Please bring this to WDW!!

Renee from CA on September 28th, 2009 at 7:22 pm

I am going to buy my tickets right now! Looks scary and fun too.
Can’t wait to ride this one. Will have to get a fast pass early!

Adam from NY on September 28th, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Looks awesome. Same as others though…I hope WDW gets stuff this special one day.

Julie on September 28th, 2009 at 9:11 pm

I get to celebrate my birthday at Disneyland for the first time and I can’t wait-what a cool way to trick out Space Mountain!

Thor from CA on September 28th, 2009 at 9:17 pm

The exterior dome lighting is my favorite! I watched it do its shows for almost an hour this weekend, just sitting in Tomorrowland and watching and listening to the ghosts terrorizing the outside of the dome. Awesome!

The inside is a great too, but the exterior shows/lighting is my favorite. Very impressive work Disneyland!

Larry from OH on September 28th, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Wow, that’s a sweet upgrade, Heather. Thanks for posting the video. Now, if I can only wrangle a “business trip” to the West Coast before November…

Thomas on September 28th, 2009 at 11:08 pm

I didn’t like it at all. The projections were too bright, which made it too bright inside the dome and the screens were CLEARLY visible. Not scary at all. The outside show is cool, but the ride itself wasn’t any good. And my picture at the end showed it.

Either make it much darker and creepier, or don’t do it at all, please.

David from Bedfordshire on September 29th, 2009 at 8:09 am

This looks fantastic. Born in Hong Kong, and now in Disneyland. Great to see! I love the external lighting especially.

This is one of the multitudinal reasons why Disneyland is my resort of choice in the world.

dave on September 29th, 2009 at 10:56 am

Wow.
I hope I can make it to the park this halloween to ride this. Looks like lots of fun.

Nicole on September 29th, 2009 at 11:21 am

I can’t wait! It looks awesome! Loved the Rockin’ Rollercoaster’s! Sure this will be just as good! Personally, I like the fact that WDW doesn’t have some of the same things as here at Disneyland. (For ex. Disneyland doesn’t have a Halloween parade like at MNSSHP. :( ) It’s what makes going to the different parks fun and exciting! I wouldn’t want to go all the way to Florida to see the same things that I can see here at Disneyland.

Michael from NS on September 29th, 2009 at 1:26 pm

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for this to appear at Walt Disney World. Unfortunately, WDW management is capapble only of the type of minimal refurbishment now taking place at Space Mountain.

Bobbie on September 29th, 2009 at 1:52 pm

I absolutely love when something new arrives @ disnleyland, my family and I go every month since we’re only two hours away from anaheim CA. We’re avid disney fans and can never get enough. I’m so excited to see the new space mountain changes since we’re going in a couple days. Keep up the great work Cast members! hope to become part of your disney family one day! Thanks for all the great memories

Brett on September 30th, 2009 at 9:43 am

Disneyland almost always gets the cool stuff before/over WDW. Can’t we be the favorite child more? j/k. Each park has a lot the other doesn’t and I appreciate all we have.

Philip on September 30th, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Michael, watch what you say about WDW’s management. They are not like that at all!

Just because they don’t do something for YOU does not mean that they’re terrible!

Peter from FL on October 2nd, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I love this site.

Wendy on October 6th, 2009 at 1:55 pm

We loved going to California Adventure for Mickey’s Spooktacular…I always wondered what music was playing…would love to the get the list to have it at home for Halloween…Anyone know?

Jon from CA on October 20th, 2009 at 6:21 pm

I went on it 3 times last time I was at DLR,It is amazing!! I say Disney expands it’s “Hall0ween time” to Matterhorn, Thunder Mountian, Pirate’s Island ect, ect! Next year!!