Disney Parks Blog Celebrates the 15th Anniversary of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Back to Film at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

posted on October 20th, 2009 by Gene Duncan, Photographer, Walt Disney World Resort

Earlier this year, I was asked to shoot some film – yes, film, for a joint promotion with Kodak on the unveiling of their newest color neg film. It was awkward at first, not being familiar with the film’s characteristics, not to mention having to retrain myself not to immediately look at the back of the camera after every shot. The promotion is being directed toward nature and wildlife photographers, so I spent some time inside Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park. These are a few images from that outing.
Disney's Animal Kingdom

Disney's Animal Kingdom

Disney's Animal Kingdom

Filed: Disney's Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

donna from GA on October 20th, 2009 at 11:32 am

Where can we see more?

Kristin from FL on October 20th, 2009 at 11:44 am

I love the shots, especially the last one. Will we be seeing any more of these?

Gene Duncan on October 20th, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Thank you Kristin- I hope so, as I do enjoy photographing wildlife.

Laura on October 20th, 2009 at 11:45 am

Absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing these special pictures.

Kevin on October 20th, 2009 at 12:32 pm

These photos are wonderful! It’s hard to believe they weren’t shot in Africa. Any chance they can be posted larger (1280×1024) for use as Disney’s Animal Kingdom desktop wallpaper?

Tom on October 20th, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Love the buttery bokeh on that meerkat shot. The gorilla shot also looks great. I guess that’s one of the benefits of film–added dynamic range. I can’t imagine a digital shot of that same scene looking quite the same, without some time spent post processing. I’d also love to see more shots from this shoot!

Karen from MA on October 20th, 2009 at 9:55 pm

When we were at the Animal Kingdom this past April, my son & I took several photos. He was especially pleased with the shots he took of the gorillas. Animal Kingdom is a fabulous park to experiment with a camera & see what you’re able to capture in photos. Your photos have inspired me! Can’t wait to return & spend some time capturing the beauty of nature at Animal Kingdom.

Sandra from IN on October 20th, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Wonderful shots, Gene! I’m not sure I’d be brave enough to shoot on film anymore myself… but you definitely pulled it off! :-) It’s tough to choose between the gorilla and the meerkats as my favorite of the three you posted – I guess I’ll have call it a tie.

So, what was your opinion of the color neg film?

Gene Duncan on October 21st, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Thanks Sandra. I have to say, the film was everything it was advertised to be- fine grain, ultra sharp and phenomenal color saturation.

Kathleen from FL on October 20th, 2009 at 11:19 pm

They are some beautiful shots! From one photographer to another they are awesome. I would love to have a job like that for Disney taking photos. Hook me up Gene! :)

Saudade from FL on October 21st, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Stunning shots! Thanks for sharing.

Animal Kingdom park is one of my favorites, it is such a great place for picture taking. The animal habitats are wonderfully done and the rest of the park is so beautiful in terms of artistry and design. I can’t get enough of it!

Steven on October 23rd, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Wow! Truly exceptional!

As a former driver on the Kilimanjaro Safaris, I had the wonderful pleasure of observing these creatures along with guests at Disney’s Animal Kingdom on a daily basis. These wonderful photos took me right back to the savannas of Harambe.

Thank you for this wonderful treat! And please, let us know where we might be able to see more images from your “trip.”