Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

Celebrating a Decade of Magical Trades

posted on October 1st, 2009 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

Hi, I’m Steven Miller, project manager for Disney Trading. I regularly look for things to celebrate. October 1, 2009 is one of those special celebratory days for me. It’s not my birthday but (cue confetti), it’s the tenth birthday for Disney Pin Trading! I can’t believe it’s been 10 years! The funny thing about trading is that it was planned to only last through the end of 2000.
The official logo for the 10th Anniversary of Disney Pin Trading

Trading was considered the perfect compliment to the “Celebrate the Future Hand-in-Hand” marketing theme for the Millennium Celebration. What better way to bring people together than by exchanging pins, hand-to-hand? The hope was that through trading pins folks would connect, share stories and make friends. I guess the plan worked as you are currently reading this story 10 years later.
Concept artwork for the visual display coming to Disney’s Pin Traders in Florida

I’m particularly excited to start our bi-coastal, 10th birthday celebration for Disney Pin Trading – a celebration we have been planning for the past year. The “Decade of Magical Trades” celebration will run from October 1, 2009 through October 10, 2010 (or 10/10/10 for those numerology fans). Though the official 10th anniversary of Disneyland Resort Pin Trading isn’t until February 17, 2010, we wanted to celebrate at both locations starting on October 1 (you know, it takes two to make a trade).
Limited Edition 100 pin pictured left; Tribute Collection pin pictured right

For the celebration, we made some incredibly fun pins that I think Guests will love – from the “Limited Edition 100s,” only 100 of each design were made and will be released on the 10th of each month from January to October 2010, to the limited edition “Tribute Collection” that spotlights highly desired or frequently traded pins we have released since the start of Disney Pin Trading.
Original concept sketch for a Cast Member trading lanyard

Speaking of trading, did you know the original Cast Member trading concept called for only one Cast Member to be the “pin trader of the day” in select locations? She or he would have worn a Millennium Celebration lanyard and only traded pins with Guests during that designated day. Can you imagine how popular that Cast Member would have been?

Make sure you visit Disney’s Pin Traders at the Downtown Disney areas on either coast (which is the official headquarters for the celebration), or visit DisneyPins.com to see more about this year-long event.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Disney Differences, Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Lee on October 1st, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Haha! I love it! That Spaceship Earth pin looks stellar!

Scott from IL on October 1st, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Steven, this is Scott from WDW Daily News and I want to commend you on such great projects. I had the privilege to interveiw Steven and discuss pins and vinylmations. My oldest daughter, who is 12, used the trading of Disney pins as a way to open up and meet others. She was always shy and reserve, but pin trading provided her with an opportunity to become more expressive and shed the shyness of her past. She is now much more confident in all aspects of her life and it is because of her interactions by trading pins! Thanks Steven for all your good work and we look forward to your exciting future projects!

james on October 1st, 2009 at 7:23 pm

This is great. Even though I live in Rhode Island and 15 years old I try my hardest to get to the parks to buy and trade. I even went all the way to California to the D23 Expo. I am really dedicated. Thank you DISNEY for this great tradition!

Donald on October 1st, 2009 at 8:40 pm

I just wanted to thank Steven and the entire pin trading team. I’ve been trading pins for about the entire 10 years, and I won’t even admit to how many pins I have.

However, the pins are just little pieces of metal. The friendships I’ve made along the way are the real treasures. I have friends all over the country, and even a few in other countries that I would never have met without the help of these shiny little pieces of metal.

Aimee (Donald’s wife).

Lee on October 1st, 2009 at 8:44 pm

That is a great story Scott!

Amanda on October 2nd, 2009 at 12:22 am

Hi Steven. It’s Amanda with DisneyEveryDay. Everyone missed you tonight at the 10th Anniversary of Pin Trading Celebration at the Contemporary. Hope you’re feeling better soon! We appreciate all of your years of service. You and Jim go the extra mile and make us all feel like part of a BIG Disney family. The Pin Trading Community is a GREAT one! Keep up the good work!

Steven Miller on October 2nd, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Hey Amanda! I have to agree that the Pin Community is a great ‘Ohana. Hope to see you at the next Disney Trading Activity – Friday, October 30 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Ballroom of the Americas.

Heather from IL on October 2nd, 2009 at 8:03 am

Steven, this is great!!! A fun way to start the day to see you had a post on here! Keep up the good work!

Joe from FL on October 2nd, 2009 at 8:34 am

That Spaceship Earth pin is amazing!

Evan on October 2nd, 2009 at 10:16 am

Great stuff….Though it has gotten a tad out of hand in the past few years, this is a nice program that I like to participate in.

Now then…When is that Spaceship Earth Pin coming out? ;-)

Steven Miller on October 2nd, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Thank you to everyone for the kind words! The Spaceship Earth pin is one of my favorites too. It is scheduled to be released on June 10, 2010 at Disney’s Pin Traders at the Downtown Disney Marketplace.

Jacob on October 2nd, 2009 at 11:01 am

Pin trading is pretty cool. Happy 10th anniversary!

Dennis on October 2nd, 2009 at 12:26 pm

It’s so true, the point in the blog article about making new friends as a result of Pin Trading. I made and continue to have several Disney pin pals that I would not have if it wasn’t for pin trading.

We have a saying in the Pin Trading community that it’s about the people not the pins! If you treat people right the pin you want to trade for will come your way!

I have attended several pin Celebrations at EPCOT over the years. And have met several Disney pin ambassadors such as Scoop Sanderson, Main Street Reporter. An awesome cast member and pin ambassador!

Thanks to all at Disney in the Pin Trading group that have given my family and I a wonderful family hobby that we can all participate in!

-Dennis

Dana on October 2nd, 2009 at 3:24 pm

HAPPY 10TH ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!!

We were just up in Orlando last weekend and went back home (approx. 3 1/2 hours away) just to make the trip back up not to miss the great celebration…………………………

Our family has been trading since the very end of 1999 to present and did not want to miss being with everyone!

We would like to thank everyone who has put so much of their time and effort into a hobby that has brought so much happiness to so many people. It has given our “family” an activity/hobby that we all enjoy and love. Our children are now 19 and 16 and have memories that they will pass on to their children that are beyond MAGICAL!

Also we would LOVE to see Scoop back with his Pin Afternoon Talks hopefully in the near future. He was such an important part to the hobby and education of pin trading. We looked forward to attending every single time we were in WDW…….Really hoping this is reinstated at least once a weekend so the people from out of town could also attend :)

We are looking forward to the next 10 YEARS!!!!! and once again thank you for the start of a beautiful celebration…….

GREAT JOB!!!!!

Dana
dizneyusa (South Florida)

Steven Miller on October 3rd, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Dana – Always great to hear from you! Thank you for the best wishes. I have enjoyed our many conversations over the years at the various Disney Pin Events.

For those of you who are curious, Scoop Sanderson, Main Street, U.S.A.® Gazette Reporter, Town Councilman and long-time Disney “Pin-thusiast,” still plays pin games on select days on Main Street, U.S.A. You can meet Scoop and several of his fellow Main Street citizens on select days at Magic Kingdom Park. As always, entertainment is subject to change without notice.

See: http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/event?id=3411

Ian on October 2nd, 2009 at 4:46 pm

I think it is wonderful the Cast interactions that can begin as a result of pin trading. Some magical moments can result and make a trip very special!

Diane from BC on October 2nd, 2009 at 6:15 pm

This is great to hear…we will be there in October 2010…my 12 year old is going to be so excited…I think my other 2 kids will want to start too…

Steven Miller on October 3rd, 2009 at 11:05 pm

I hope to see you and your family in October 2010, especially on 10/10/10 – the start of the next decade of Disney Trading.

For the latest news about our 10th Anniversary Celebration, visit this page on DisneyPins.com: http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/event?id=47119

This page will be updated throughout the celebration with additional details for events such as Disney Pin Celebration 2010 (which will be held August 27-29, 2010 at Epcot).

Scotty on October 3rd, 2009 at 3:23 am

10 Years of Pin Trading….Congratulations!

I’m now in my 12th year of Disney Pin Collecting. In May 1998, I started my collection by purchasing about 75 Disney pins at Disneyland. I got all the character pins and all the Disneyland attractions pins I could find.

The fun never stops.

Thanks!

Cassy on October 3rd, 2009 at 9:15 pm

The Deebees have invaded the celebration. Love the Deebees. I solved all the puzzles and couldn’t wait for them to arrive. Keep your eyes open in the parks, you may see one.

Steven Miller on October 5th, 2009 at 4:35 pm

We heart the DeeBees too!

Check out the newly updated FindtheDeeBees.com:

Have you seen them?

Jeff on October 4th, 2009 at 6:44 pm

Congratulations and Happy Pin Trading Anniversary! I have been hooked! I love my pins :) And each one that I have collected or traded has a very special story and memory, which makes it all that much more fun. So thanks, Steve and Disney for a fun and memorable hobby!

Cast members are so much fun to interact with, so it is also a great way to meet the Disney team up close and personal.