Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Holidays at the Disneyland Resort

Disney Sports Announces New Wine & Dine Half-Marathon

posted on October 15th, 2009 by Darrell Fry, Sports Media Director, Walt Disney World

Running 13.1 miles can be quite a challenge, but Disney Sports has come up with the ultimate dangling carrot to motivate runners to make it all the way to the finish line.

Actually, it’s more like a dangling Lamb Chop with mango chutney. Or Jerk Pork with spicy pineapple sauce. Or any of the other extraordinary culinary creations at the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival, which will essentially be the finish line for a new half-marathon race at Walt Disney World Resort.

Earlier today, Disney Sports released just some of the details of its latest endurance event, but you can bet its going to be more – a lot more – than just a race. Here’s what we know so far: Appropriately enough, it’s going to be called the Disney Wine & Dine Half-Marathon Weekend and will debut Oct. 1-2 in 2010.

One of the really unique features of the race is that it will be run at night, which is fitting given that Halloween will be just around the corner. In fact, this race will quite possibly be the only half-marathon run under the stars.

The weekend will also include a two-day expo, a 5K family fun run, kids races and a lot of special Disney touches. The half-marathon will start at the soon-to-be-renamed ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex and finish inside Epcot with an exclusive post-race party at the annual Epcot International Food & Wine Festival that features culinary delights from around the world prepared by top Disney chefs.

One of the other really cool features of the event will be a two-person relay team option. Hey, dividing up the 13.1 miles between two runners is a lot easier than running the entire way by yourself – especially when there is a plate of Smoked Ribs with Braised Red Cabbage and Chestnuts and a nice California Chardonnay waiting for you at the finish line.

Grab your running shoes and sign up starting Nov. 16 at www.disneyenduranceseries.com.

On your marks! Get set! Eat!

Filed: Special Events, Walt Disney World Resort

Heather on October 15th, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I’m really disappointed. Unless you plan to announce additional races, you have effectively eliminated races for those who want more of a challenge then a 5k but aren’t quite up to the challenge of a half marathon. January has the half and full marathon, the Princess half marathon replaced the Minnie 15k, Race for the Taste and Tower of Terror were the remaining races that were shorter than half marathon and now you have removed those. The relay option is very interesting – but I really enjoy starting and finishing a race myself. Our family made many trips to Disney each year just for the races, but it’s not worth it to come down several times a year for 5k’s. With the decision to move Expedition Everest to June (it’s much too hot for all that!) I don’t think we will be participating in any of the Disney races! Very disappointing! Please reconsider!

Paul on October 15th, 2009 at 3:49 pm

I have to agree with Heather. One of the great things about the Disney endurance series was the variety of races. 5k, 10k, 13k, half-marathon, full marathon…. there were a lot of options. Now it seems like you’re eliminating all the variety in distances, and trying to make up for it in variety of venue or theme. Very unfortunate.

Lisa from CA on October 15th, 2009 at 4:58 pm

My daughter and I did the Minnie and Me 15k…my understanding was because the race wasn’t sold out they were changing it to a half and sure enough the inaugural half hit the numbers. I am signed up for the next one in March – I will probably sign up for the new one because it is during my birthday month and I always take a trip…this will make a great long weekend birthday present to myself.

Wendy on October 15th, 2009 at 5:08 pm

We just did the Race for the Taste 10K last weekend. I had not run a race in 25 years (I’m 60) and my partner (54) had never run a race. We were already coming to Food and Wine for the long weekend, and decided having the 10K as a goal would get us exercising. We signed up in May, and worked long and hard all summer to prepare. We were delighted that we both finished, even with the heat and humidity (we live in New Hampshire), proud that we had done it…and sad that we could never do it again. I agree that there should be more variety; we have a new goal of the January Donald half marathon in 2011, but would love to have come back for the 10K… It was a great race, a great goal, and we will miss it even though we only did it once. Add to that the new race is not over a long weekend, and we just can’t come…I teach, and can’t take time off from school in October. Please, think about a good 10 K again.

Charles from TX on October 16th, 2009 at 9:49 am

Sweet. A half marathon just in time to see where training is at as we ramp up for marathon weekend! Count me IN.

crystal from TX on October 16th, 2009 at 11:46 am

I enjoyed the RFTT this year also. It was a great goal and I was thrilled to finish!! I am not an athlete so the longer races hold very little appeal to me. I may find someone to relay with but wish it was over the holiday. We had a great time this year and I hope to see more races in the 6-10 mile range.

Heather from FL on October 19th, 2009 at 11:56 pm

This is great news! I’m a Disney runner and enjoy the longer races. I have the Donald (half) and the Mickey (full) medals and look forward to adding the Princess and Wine & Dine to my collection in 2010. Being a wine lover too makes this a special race. Can’t wait to see the wine medal! I understand the comments of those who want shorter distances but I feel like there are ample opportunities to run 5k’s & 10k’s just about every weekend…everywhere!