Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Country Bear Christmas Special at Disneyland Park

Mobile Magic – First Disney Parks Mobile App Details, Screen Shots Unveiled

posted on October 27th, 2009 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Earlier this year, we announced our first official Disney Parks mobile application – Mobile Magic. Now, we’re sharing details and screen shots.

You’ll recall that Mobile Magic is bringing attraction wait times, FASTPASS return times, extensive information on character locations and more for Walt Disney World and Disneyland theme parks to your Verizon Wireless phone. Development work has been ongoing but the team recently offered a walkthrough of the app and it’s looking great.
Disney Parks Mobile Magic

Attraction wait times on your Verizon Wireless device will be unique. There’s been an investment in the backend infrastructure to support Mobile Magic and offer actual wait times based directly on Disney Parks information.

As for FASTPASS, you’ll be able to check if it’s still available for specific attractions. And if FASTPASS is available, the app will deliver information about the next return time. So, if you can still get a FASTPASS, the application will show, for example: FP: 4:00-5:00 p.m.

Also, mobile maps are GPS-enabled. While wandering the parks, your location will be indicated by a white circle. Then it’s simple to scroll through content and find it on the map via a “getting there” option. The map zooms out and allows you to see your location and exactly where the character greeting or restaurant can be located.
Disney Parks Mobile Magic

It’s important to note that actual wait times, FASTPASS return times and detailed character appearances are only available in the park you are in. When you’re out of the park or on the soon-to-be-launched mobile Web site, you’ll see scaled-down wait time descriptions (now – moderate – high demand) FASTPASS availability (yes – limited availability – not available) and the list of character appearances will be limited.

There’s more to this offering but we wanted to share these screen grabs and let you know that the app is coming soon. So, how’s it looking?

Of course, there are some official details you should know about: The downloadable Mobile Magic application for Verizon Wireless subscribers is available for purchase. Message and data rates also may apply. Coverage not available everywhere. Availability subject to handset limitations. If you’re under 18, get your parent’s permission first.

Tagged: , , , ,

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort, Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

91 Comments 1 Reply

Banks on October 27th, 2009 at 11:01 am

Really cool! I hope that y’all develop one for the iPhone in the future.

David from TN on October 27th, 2009 at 11:02 am

Looks awesome! Just hope it becomes available for other carriers.

Thomas Smith on October 27th, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Thanks, David. There will be a mobile site launched that will be platform independent.

Chris on October 27th, 2009 at 11:04 am

How do we get it?

Adam on October 27th, 2009 at 11:08 am

Any details on a release date? Or pricing? :)

Bastian from VT on October 27th, 2009 at 11:13 am

Ditto on hoping for it to come to other carriers, and availability on the iPhone.

Kevin on October 27th, 2009 at 11:16 am

This looks like it would work perfectly on the iPhone… Do you see that being a possibility anytime in the near future?

Scott on October 27th, 2009 at 11:17 am

This is clearly a great idea, but the fact that it’s currently limited to Verizon subscribers, and therefore NOT offered to iPhone users, is a real misstep. Granted there are several unofficial iPhone apps aimed at park visitors, but getting such information straight from the source (Disney) with real-time updates would be a huge benefit. The unofficial iPhone apps are basically slick guide maps with hacked wait time and FASTPASS return time features. An official app would be a beautiful thing if done right.

I don’t know what kind of deal Disney made with Verizon, but I sincerely hope you’ve got an iPhone app in the works too!

Victoria on October 27th, 2009 at 11:18 am

iPhone. iPhone. iPhone. Please?

Dallas on October 27th, 2009 at 11:19 am

Would I be able to get this app on a Verizon phone running the Android OS? Like, say, the upcoming Motorola Droid?

Jessica from UT on October 27th, 2009 at 11:22 am

Please do one for the iPhone.

Jackie from WA on October 27th, 2009 at 11:23 am

This sounds completely amazing & I cannot wait to see the program & actually use it on our next vacation! I’m so excited as it sounds like this will work on my blackberry since I do use Verizon! YAY!!

Matt on October 27th, 2009 at 11:26 am

I’m disappointed it’s not available as an iPhone app. Will there be something that tells what moderate and high demand mean in terms of minutes?

Heather from CA on October 27th, 2009 at 11:28 am

Please make this for the sidekick and t-mobile!

Steven on October 27th, 2009 at 11:29 am

Connecting the park guest to the pulse of what is going on is a HUGE advancement! One I am looking forward to for sure in an effort to maximize my “Park time”… I can only hope this app is also made available for iPhone users (as the numbers of subscribers of this device is staggering), Android (the new smartphone language of choice on Verizon), and Blackberry.

Sarah on October 27th, 2009 at 11:30 am

+1 for an iPhone app. I’d switch to Verizon to get this, except that I can’t live without my iPhone and so far it’s only available on AT&T…come on Disney, there are a lot of us in the same position, please can we have something too?

Chris on October 27th, 2009 at 11:31 am

Disney’s agreement for the app is exclusively with Verizon, so the only hope if it being available for the iPhone is when Verizon gets the iPhone.

Gary on October 27th, 2009 at 11:35 am

+1 for an iPhone app. This looks awesome but until it’s on the iPhone it’s of no use to me. :(

Shannon from MI on October 27th, 2009 at 11:47 am

Finally! The whole reason why I went to Verizon last November was because of this app! So tired of everything going to the iPhone (not everyone has access to AT&T) Would be so for Verizon getting the iPhone though! Will enjoy testing this out next time I’m in the park!

Bob from NC on October 27th, 2009 at 11:53 am

This looks great! And what a fun app to use in the Parks! Glad I’m on the Verizon network. The true test will be whether or not I can use it on my outdated phone though… ºOº

LOIS on October 27th, 2009 at 11:55 am

I, for one, am very happy that this IS for Verizon phones and not on iPhone…there are other phone users out there that will enjoy these aps beside iPhone…and I for one will not change to iPhone. thanks for keeping “the rest of us” in mind! Any idea on a release date?

michele from FL on October 27th, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Cool stuff…

Mike on October 27th, 2009 at 12:21 pm

I don’t think anybody’s really complaining that the app is available on Verizon phones. It’s more that it’s exclusive to Verizon phones (which ones? who knows). Such a shame. iPhone users love their phones, and all the apps, and I doubt any would switch providers for one application.

Herb on October 27th, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Why just Verison, Thought Disney had an agreement with Sprint!!!

Meredith from DC on October 27th, 2009 at 12:47 pm

we need it for the iPhone!!!!!

David from AZ on October 27th, 2009 at 12:58 pm

How bout one for use with AT&T?

Tanya on October 27th, 2009 at 1:20 pm

don’t forget about the Palm Pre!!!

Marc on October 27th, 2009 at 1:28 pm

You would think with Steve Jobs on the board he would have pushed for a OFFICIAL Disney Park app for the iphone?

ANTHONY from PA on October 27th, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I love the application I would love to know if there are plans to make this for the iPhone or other mobil devices.

Andrea from AL on October 27th, 2009 at 1:46 pm

It looks great! I’m just going to have to get a new phone before my next trip : D haha.

Carla from KY on October 27th, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I have a Blackberry on Verizon and we’re heading to WDW in 10 days. How/where do I purchase this? Can’t wait!

Krista on October 27th, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Thank you so much for choosing the Verizon network to start. I am kind of getting tired of every app going to the iphone. No offense to At&t iphones, but since these American phones are locked to certain carriers it is a bit annoying.

Travis from NH on October 27th, 2009 at 2:57 pm

This looks awesome, however, I’m a tad confused. When you say “you’ll see scaled-down wait time descriptions” on the new Mobile Disney Parks Website, will you actually be able to see the wait time and fastpasses for X attraction?

I’m really hoping for an iPhone Disney Parks App that provides this same information. It would go great next to my Toy Story Mania and Breakspin Disney Apps!

Christian on October 27th, 2009 at 3:04 pm

+1 for iPhone. I’ll be playing with Wishing Stars in the meantime.

Deborah on October 27th, 2009 at 3:28 pm

I’m going to Disneyland for Christmas. Hope this is available before that.

Michael from UT on October 27th, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Another vote for iPhone app! Approximate wait times via a mobile site is practically useless. You can guess if the line is “now”, “moderate”, or “high demand” just based on the weather and how crowded the park is.

brad on October 27th, 2009 at 4:06 pm

an iPhone 3gs app, utilizing the augmented reality mapping feature would be amazing. Want to find a path from your current location to Space Mountain? Just select space mountain, and hold up the iphone, and it points you in the direction you need to go. It can have cool little fun facts along the way…

I know that marketing deals with companies like Verizon bring in the money, but an AR iPhone app could really put you guys on the cutting edge of mobile technology.

Jason on October 27th, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Very nice! I hope it will be available on Windows phones.

Mary on October 27th, 2009 at 5:02 pm

+1 for an iPhone app. This looks awesome & a Must Have but until it’s available for the iPhone it’s of no use to us. :(

Sharon from CA on October 27th, 2009 at 5:06 pm

As a Verizon cell phone customer, I would purchase this application, but not if I had to pay a monthly fee. Disney Parks would do better in charging by the use, rather than a flat fee. It would encourage more purchases by infrequent visitors to the parks.

Kevin on October 27th, 2009 at 5:08 pm

As a long-time Verizon Wireless customer, I am glad to see something that is being developed for Verizon first rather than iPhone.

So, are we talking Motorola Droid or some other platform?

Jolyn from CA on October 27th, 2009 at 5:15 pm

It *should* be in the iPhone, but it looks like it’s not going to be for the future, which is a shame.

For everyone else who wants some info, there is at least some iPhone apps that you can get either for free or for a small charge for DL/DCA and WDW. While not as cool-looking as these, they do offer wait-times for rides and give more accurate information than the “mobile Web site” that will be offered for people who don’t have Verizon.

Please, Disney, get this for iPhones.

Mary on October 27th, 2009 at 5:16 pm

+1 for an iPhone app. PLZ PLZ PLZ make it for us too. :(

Michael on October 27th, 2009 at 5:47 pm

I hope this becomes a cross carrier app and has ports for the iPhone and Android OS. Limiting it to Verizon does not seem like the best idea since it is only an application.

Dana on October 27th, 2009 at 6:17 pm

When is the release date?

Joseph from GA on October 27th, 2009 at 8:35 pm

This is a really good tool. One thing I see with this is that the international Guests at the parks may have been overlooked. Verizon Wireless’ network uses a signal network that is not common for most of the European, Asian, etc countries. In concert with some of the above posted comments, is there hopes of rolling this out across other carriers in the future?

Karen from MA on October 27th, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Looking forward to trying this out on our next trip. Thanks for the info!

James on October 28th, 2009 at 8:35 am

Hi, how about an iphone application?

Rich on October 28th, 2009 at 9:20 am

Please port the app to Blackberry phones ASAP. There are far more BB than iphones in use.
Thx.

Mike from ME on October 28th, 2009 at 9:44 am

So it says “If you are not a Verizon Wireless subscriber, you can still use your mobile phone to access select information via text and on the Disney Parks Mobile Web site. It’s just better from our friends at Verizon Wireless.”

So get the striped down version and wish you had Verizon for a change. :)

Philip from TX on October 28th, 2009 at 11:36 am

My wife and I like the idea of an app. (We would also like to see an iPhone app) However we were discussing that we don’t quite understand the restrictions outside the park. If I am at Pop Century deciding what park to go to that day, it would be very helpful to have fast pass and wait time info. Also if I want to park hop having fast pass and wait time info in another park would be great as well. If it only works inside the park you are in, it’s really just a mobile tip board. You spend money to be able to Park Hop I do think that should be rewarded!