Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion Attraction Poster

U.S. Mint $1 Coin Pilot Begins at Walt Disney World

posted on October 19th, 2009 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Beginning today, you may notice more unique $1 coins at Walt Disney World Resort.

We’ve worked with the U.S. Mint to participate in a circulation pilot of the 2009 Native American dollar coins. The coin’s design is based on the theme of agriculture. You’ll notice a Native American woman planting seeds in a field and the inscriptions UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and $1 on the reverse side.

New U.S. $1 Coins

Our participation in the circulation pilot is part of a continued commitment to environmentality. The coin is an environmentally responsible choice – it’s recyclable and lasts decades longer than paper bills.

Only certain locations at Epcot and Magic Kingdom Park will be offering the coins through Dec. 13, 2009. Here they are:

Epcot – American Adventure:

• Haunted Mansion Cart
  • Heritage House
  • Yankee Trader

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Mike on October 19th, 2009 at 2:21 pm

So the locations listed be using these dollar coins rather than bills when giving change? I’ll have to make sure I pick something up at one of these locations when I’m down for D23′s Magic & Merriment in December.

Chris from FL on October 19th, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Does the coin really reference a single state — United State of America — or was that simply a typo?

Kathlyn on October 19th, 2009 at 2:44 pm

This is great- I can’t wait to pick up mine!

Melanie on October 19th, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Fun idea. I hope this continues past December 13!

Rich on October 20th, 2009 at 10:01 am

While this sounds like a great idea, the last thing I want to do is have a bunch of heavy coins in my pocket all day. Thanks!

BRANDY from LA on October 20th, 2009 at 11:19 am

i arrive dec 12

kesley from VA on October 21st, 2009 at 8:18 am

I picked mine up last night. They are really very pretty and my father loves coins, he was very excited to have one! Great and fun idea to teach kids about saving and spending money.

Barry from ON on October 21st, 2009 at 2:39 pm

As Canadians, we’ve had $1 and $2 coins for more than a decade. While not stated here, the primary reason is to have the dollar coin considered ‘pocket change’ and thus easier to spend. No need to pull out your wallet to buy that newspaper anymore, just pull out your dollar coin. Our $1 Canadian coin is known as a ‘loonie’ due to the picture of a loon on one side (and Queen Elizabeth on the heads side). Following the loonie came the $2 coin or the ‘two-nie’.

I’ve had days where I’ve had a fair amount of change in my pockets, but eventually the money gets spent. There is no real increase in the weight of the ‘jingle in your pockets’ as much as the quantitiy of $1 bills in your wallet now.

Barbara on October 21st, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Does anyone know if these are the new coins that are missing the phrase “In God We Trust”? I can’t tell by that picture shown here.

Judith on October 21st, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Barbara – “In God We Trust” is on all $1 coins. I also want to point out that using $1 coins can save our government over $522 million per year. Finally, studies show that 94% of all $1 notes carry germs that could cause serious infections (e.g. staph) while our coins are made of copper, which a natural antimicrobial.

Elizabeth Darlene from BC on October 21st, 2009 at 11:27 pm

Sadly I am only going to Disneyland. It would have been nice to have one of those coins. Vancouver Canada

Dan from NJ on October 23rd, 2009 at 11:54 am

Does mining metals create less pollution than cutting down trees? Did you know that the current dollar coins contain only 5 cents worth of metal? Better than worthless paper!

James from CA on October 24th, 2009 at 6:12 am

Someone who lives on the other coast get one… We’ll trade for something (I live right by D-land.) The motto “In God We…” is on the front left at about ear level above child’s head. Some “Godless” no motto President coins and a 1907 coin were minted and have quite a value for collectors. Yes the coin is only “worth” 5 cents but the old cent and nickle are above their face value. Bring the coins to Ca!

James from CA on October 24th, 2009 at 6:40 am

Oh on a second look another difference w/ this coin is the writing on the side called a legend. The 2000 Sacagawea has none. I can not tell what it say from photo. Anyone?

Jeb from TN on October 24th, 2009 at 11:00 am

James. You can buy get these online, right now. I won’t tell you where because I am not a advertiser, but if you really want them you can find them. The site that I shop at (I’m a coin collector) has these for fairly cheap but I tend to buy in bulk. They sell a roll of these for $30, but they ____ a $50 minimum so you’d have to buy 2. After shipping and handling and CC fees (ouch!) the total is about $75 for $40 worth of coins. Now, considering that they sell each one for $2.50 each, and you paid just under $2 for each …

;)

Now then — yes, the penny and the nickel still have their worth, but the old pennies are worth double and the old 90% silver dollars are worth at nearly $14 each. This is just based on their silver value alone — most are worth $20. Sure, that Sacagawea is a nice looking coin, but I would much rather spend that $75 on 4 Morgan silver dollars. As long as Bernanke continues to print more worthless paper, the silver dollars will not only be a more attractive coin to collect, they’ll sky rocket in value. Even the ugly beat up ones. The only Sacagawea that are worth anything are the rare ones that are overpriced to buy and require the luck of a lotto win to find. Good luck! :)

Jeb from TN on October 24th, 2009 at 11:02 am

oops … I left my blank empty above. I meant to go back in and fill in the word “require”

Robert from IA on October 24th, 2009 at 11:46 am

You can get these dollars at almost any US bank. Just go to a teller and ask for a dollar coin or a roll of dollar coins. You’ll get a good selection that way.

Greg on October 25th, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Chris,
The current $1.00 coins are Presidential coins. 5 Being released each year like the state quarters were. You can get them at your banck (circulated) or the US Mint (uncirculated andmany different collector forms). You may also come across the Sacagewa (sp?) dollar coin or the bicentenial dollar coin.

Barbara-”In God We Trust” is on the coins written along the edge.