Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

Your Favorite Disney Parks Attraction Is…

posted on October 20th, 2009 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Each attraction at Disney Parks has more than one story behind it. There’s our story, like the one about the oldest attraction at Magic Kingdom ParkCinderella’s Golden Carrousel. It was built in 1917 for the Detroit Palace Garden Park and later moved to Maplewood Olympic Park in New Jersey, where the Disney designers discovered it.

And then there are your stories. The memories and experiences that make an attraction like Cinderella’s Golden Carrousel special to you and your family. You’ve already shared some of your stories about our attractions on our Twitter account @DisneyParks. Now, here are some on video.

It’s your turn. Let us know in the comments which attraction is your favorite and why. And keep an eye out for our camera in the parks for future Disney Parks Blog video questions.

Filed: Walt Disney World Resort

Melissa on October 20th, 2009 at 2:35 pm

The Jungle Cruise has always been my favorite. I always tell people my dream job is Jungle Cruise skipper. I love all the puns, the great animatronics, and every time you ride it it’s a whole new experience.

But I also love Carousel of Progress. Besides knowing it was Walt Disney’s own project, it’s such a fun take on history. I love the “wink-wink” jokes about past events that we know eventually do happen, and “It’s A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” is a song you can never get out of your head!

Ryan on October 20th, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Epcot: Living with the Land. It’s so cool for me to see all the innovations that go in to food and what can be done with a little research. Followed closely by all the country pavilions. Epcot rocks!

Jackie from WA on October 20th, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Our family’s VERY FAVORITE Disney Parks attraction is Pirates of the Carribbean at Disneyland in CA. We just love the start of the ride going through the bayou ~ especially the fireflies ~ that atmosphere is like no other!! We love looking over at the Blue Bayou restaurant with all the lanterns hanging from the ceiling! The ride has a wonderful musky sort of smell that never changes & we just love that ~ it feels like home!! We also love the 2 drops!! It is the very first ride we head to each time we get to the parks!

Jacqueline from MS on October 20th, 2009 at 2:43 pm

I can’t choose just one ride. I love Haunted Mansion and Pirates, my handicapped older brother loves It’s a Small World and Journey into Imagination with Figment. My family always has to ride Spaceship Earth and The Great Movie Ride everytime we go to the parks! Plus many Many more! I also love Carousel of Progress!

Craig from MA on October 20th, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Too many favorites, but one of my must do’s is always the TTA. It’s just the perfect ride after hoofing around the park for several hours. Love the Epcot model, the peek at Buzz, Space Mountain and Mickey’s Star Traders. Haven’t heard the new narration yet, but hopefully will like it!

Dan on October 20th, 2009 at 2:45 pm

The Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland! That’s my favorite ride of all time!

Peter on October 20th, 2009 at 2:45 pm

I guess Splash Mountain is still my all time favorite. It seems to possess all the best qualities of a Walt Disney attraction. Design, themeing, audio-animatronics, family fun, thrills, extended duration, high-capacity… basically, it’s got everything!

And GREAT on a hot summer day!!!

Jose on October 20th, 2009 at 2:46 pm

By far my favorite Walt Disney World attraction is Spaceship Earth, before the recent additions, at Epcot. But it is a very close second with Toy Story Midway Mania. It’s very hard to pick.. :)

Amy from FL on October 20th, 2009 at 2:50 pm

My favorite attraction would have to be Soarin’ at Epcot. It really immerses you in the hang gliding environment.

Brian from WA on October 20th, 2009 at 2:54 pm

My favorite attraction is the Haunted Mansion. My wife and I were there for our honeymoon and the cast memeber saw our honeymoon buttons while we were standing in line and led us to the front, bypassing the long line!

Paresh on October 20th, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Albeit that choosing just one is close to impossible, I would have to say that Test Track ranks at the top of my list.

Alison from CA on October 20th, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Right now I am LOVING Space Mtn. Ghost Galaxy at Dinsey Anaheim! But, my ULTIMATE favorite would have to be…Pirates!!!

Kristen from TN on October 20th, 2009 at 2:59 pm

This is a really hard decision but I’ll have to go with Pirates of the Caribbean. It’s the first attraction that I ever rode at WDW. I was in total awe and it made me fall in love with Disney.

David from VA on October 20th, 2009 at 3:00 pm

So many to choose from! Pirates of the Caribbean, the Haunted Mansion, and Splash Mountain are my favorites. Love the attention to detail in all three.

Dawn on October 20th, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Can’t pick just one. It’s impossible. One(ish) per park, maybe. ;-) Magic Kingdom: Carousel of Progress, Haunted Mansion, Mickey’s Philharmagic. Epcot: Test Track. Animal Kingdom: Kilimanjaro Safari. Hollywood Studios: Toy Story Midway Mania. Disneyland: Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean (blows Florida’s version away by lightyears!).

Matt on October 20th, 2009 at 3:05 pm

My favorite is Soarin’. There’s nothing like it. It’s an awesome feeling.

Carol on October 20th, 2009 at 3:05 pm

I love so many, but have a special place in my heart for the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (always the WEDway People Mover to me!) It’s so relaxing after a very intense day at the Magic Kingdom.

Laura from CA on October 20th, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Pirates is my favorite ride from my childhood. Now that I’m older, I still love the ride, but I really enjoy Indiana Jones and Thunder Mountain. I love that with Indiana Jones, it feels like a new ride every time you go on it.

Banks on October 20th, 2009 at 3:15 pm

My favorite Disney attraction (and favorite of all time) is The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror! I became obsessed with this ride in 1993 when I visited WDW and saw the construction wall advertising it opening in 1994, and also saw the hotel itself being built. I became too obsessed, though, because in 1997 I was scared to death to go on it. I faced my fears and did it, and have been in love with it ever since, I know the story backwards and forwards. Since I moved to Orlando in 2007, I have been on Tower of Terror over 500 times! Nothing else is like it, and it is my favorite Disney attraction!

Kevin on October 20th, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Of all the rides, over all the years, the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney Studios (previously MGM Studios) is by far my favorite. The presentation, the external setting of the old Hollywood Hotel, the short film in the creepy little library, the elevator ride up….and the elevator ride down and up and down and up and up and down and up and down!!! How I’d love to just walk around inside that ride and see all of what is really going on behind the scenes. It never gets old, and every time I ride it I want to just get right back on.

Debra on October 20th, 2009 at 3:21 pm

My current favorite is Philharmagic. The music, the animation, the special effects — it’s just pure Disney magic!

Catherine on October 20th, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I love the Tiki Room. It’s just so corny yet cool and modern. I love getting a Dole Whip and enjoying the birds singing, the flowers blooming and the tikis tiking. It’s so relaxing and pretty. The thunder and lightning are scary. Great attraction.

Johnny from MD on October 20th, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Tomorrowland Transit Authority

Joseph on October 20th, 2009 at 3:36 pm

This is a tough question, so I’m going to do it by park.

DIsneyland – Space Mountain
Disney’s California Adventure – Toy Story Midway Mania
Magic Kingdom – The Carousel of Progress
Epcot – Mission Space
Disney’s Hollywood Studio – (really tough) between Rock N’ Roller Coaster and The Great Movie Ride
Disney’s Animal Kingdom – Expedition Everest

Honorable mentions Soarin’, TTA, Spaceship Earth, Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland, Haunted Mansion in both parks, especially Haunted Mansion Holiday in Disneyland, and the Kilimanjaro Safari.

Danielle on October 20th, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Test Track for sure. Nothing beats the moment you exit the building and fly around the track.

Michael on October 20th, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Horizons.

Scotty on October 20th, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Matterhorn Bobsleds are so very unique. It is a classic Disneyland attraction, dating back to the 1950′s; a rollicking ride down the icy slopes of the majestic Matterhorn. Plus, you’ve got caves, tunnels, ice, Glacier Grotto and the Abominable Snowman. Additionally, there are FOUR! waterfalls and an exceptional splashdown. AND, it’s got dual tracks that are completely separate experiences in their own right. I absolutely love the Matterhorn Bobsleds! Especially at night!

michael from NC on October 20th, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Horizons… it’s still the best.

If limited to the attractions still in operation, I’d agree with the others that say the WEDway. So simple, so awesome. I feel bad for the Disneylanders who must go without.

Michael
Progress City, U.S.A.

Ashley from OK on October 20th, 2009 at 4:14 pm

My favorite ride of all times is Mickey’s Philharmagic at Magic Kingdom! I have seen it dozens of times and it still has the same effect on me. Magical!

Joseph on October 20th, 2009 at 4:18 pm

My favorite is definitely Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress. Better than any other attraction, it encapsulates Walt’s personality and vision in it’s true-to-original form.

Linda from NV on October 20th, 2009 at 4:23 pm

It’s a hard question, but I’ll pick Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, at either park. I’m not a thrill ride type of person, but this one is my must-ride every time we go. I get off happy and usually saying “let’s go again!”.

Cori on October 20th, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Splash Mountain. Or Indiana Jones. Tough choice.

Sarah on October 20th, 2009 at 4:31 pm

My favorite Disney attraction is Soarin! I was in Disneyland with my dad and sister when we first got to ride it. It was amazing! I was so thrilled when they decided to build it at Epcot. I just love everything about it…the stunning film, the soundtrack, even right down to the cast member uniforms. :) Plus, what other attraction gets a round of applause when it’s over?!

Kaitlyn on October 20th, 2009 at 4:37 pm

My favorite Disney attraction is Space Mountain!

Anonymous on October 20th, 2009 at 4:41 pm

So many to choose from, for so many reasons, but Peter Pan’s Flight remains a favorite. It is classic, timeless, and appeals to the inner child in all of us. Fantastic characters and memorable score, coupled with a unique ride experience make it one of Disney’s best ever

Lou
WDWRadio

Louis on October 20th, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Lou
WDWRadio

Michael on October 20th, 2009 at 5:04 pm

I always loved Cranium Command. I know it became dated quickly, but I will always have a soft spot for that attraction.

Mary Beth on October 20th, 2009 at 5:07 pm

My favorite – and this brings back such nostalgia- has to be the GE CAROUSEL OF PROGRESS. As a small child I can still remember sitting and watching the eras go by and hearing that ever favorite song, “Now is the time, Now is the best time of your life!” It ended with ” a futuristic era” where families had computers in their homes, etc. Little did I know at the age of 10 ..that someday..it would all come true. Disneyland always makes me feel like I am having the BEST TIME OF MY LIFE! It makes my dreams come true!

Roger on October 20th, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Even though some people make fun of me for this, my favorite Disney Parks attraction is “it’s a small world” at Disneyland. A simple, but fun and entertaining boat ride with such a simple message of peace and happiness. And no, the song doesn’t get stuck it my head. It’s especially beautiful around the holidays when it’s known as “it’s a small world holiday.” Absolutely amazing!

Katie on October 20th, 2009 at 5:17 pm

So many to choose from! But one of my all time favorites has to be Mickey’s Philharmagic! The music and effects are beautiful. I still get teary eyed thinking about my son, who was 4 years old at the time, and watching him as he tried to grab the dishes and spoons, bubbles, and anything else that “jumped” out at him. His favorite part was at the end where “Donald jumped in his eyeballs”! So precious! We are going back next year and I imagine this will be one of our first stops.

Vincent from CA on October 20th, 2009 at 5:24 pm

My favorite has got to be Tower of Terror and Toy Story. These rides are fun for all ages. Of course the greatest classic ride is Thundermountain!

Sebastiaan on October 20th, 2009 at 5:24 pm

gotta say that Crush Coaster @ Disneyland Paris is awesome (low amount of people per hour though). In WDW its a tight race between Rock ‘n Rollercoaster and Philharmagic…

Sarah on October 20th, 2009 at 5:25 pm

For me, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is my favorite, mainly for sentinmental reasons. It was the first rollercoaster I ever rode, and to this day is the only one my mom will ride. However the TTA, mission space, Rock ‘n Rollercoaster, Carosel of Progress, and the great movie ride come in a very close second. I too loved horizons when it was open.

Kristin from FL on October 20th, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Thrill rides: Everest and Tower of Terror. Both offer great thrills and terrific themeing, which is essential for a successful Disney attraction in my opinion.

Slow rides: Haunted Mansion, which inspired my love of Imagineering!

Michael on October 20th, 2009 at 6:19 pm

It’s impossible to narrow it down to one attraction, so I have to go park by park.

Animal Kingdom – Expedition Everest

Hollywood Studios – Toy Story Mania

Epcot – Test Track & Soarin

Magic Kingdom – Space Mountain

Margaret on October 20th, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I’m taking the one per park “cop out” too!

Magic Kingdom – Mickey’s Philharmagic
Epcot – Soarin
Hollywood Studios – Toy Story Mania
Animal Kingdom – Safari

Enrique on October 20th, 2009 at 7:02 pm

My favorite is “Space Mountain Mission 2″ at Discoveryland (Disneyland Paris). I’ve experienced a lot of rollercoasters, some of them a lot higher and maybe even faster, but none of them has ever made me feel like my heart was going to burst out of me, but the Paris version of “Space Mountain” really did so.

I also love It’s a Small World. It’s a different type of ride, but it really is wonderful. It made my eyes full of tears of joy the first time I rode it.

Paul on October 20th, 2009 at 7:41 pm

From my first visit as a child to WDW, my favorite attraction is The Haunted Mansion. The effects are still cool today. I love the entire area surrounding the mansion. It all adds to the attraction, the river, the covered entrance, the Liberty Tree, just great.

Paul
wdwprince

AJ on October 20th, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Favorite Rides:
Magic Kingdom – Buzz Lightyear
Epcot – Test Track
Hollywood Studios – Tower of Terror
Animal Kingdom – Expedition Everest

Overall favorite of the 4 WDW parks – Buzz Lightyear…and I’m 36 years old! I just find this to be one of those rides that you can be young or old and still enjoy it immensely.

Favorite non-ride Attractions:
Magic Kingdom – Philharmagic
Epcot – walking through the countries
Hollywood Studios – Muppets 3-D
Animal Kingdom – It’s a Bugs Life

Melanie from NC on October 20th, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Can I do my favorite per park that I’ve been to? This is tough!
Magic Kingdom – Carousel of Progress. I love it. Probably my overall favorite, but I don’t want to slight the others.
Epcot – Spaceship Earth. I like the changes that have been made but wish Tomorrow’s Child would be brought back fully!
Hollywood Studios – Tower of Terror! Even if my husband won’t go on it with me more than once per visit, I manage to take several trips to the Twilight Zone!
Animal Kingdom – Maharajah Jungle Trek. I could sit and watch the tigers for hours, particularly when they play in the fountain.
Disneyland – It’s a Small World. That was my favorite song as a child and I loved the Disney World version. Finally seeing the Disneyland version in my twenties was like coming full circle.
California Adventure – Soarin’ Over California is amazing. Simple, but innovative as an attraction. I could ride this daily!