It’s opening day for our amazing Victorian gingerbread house at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. And if you’re like me, the thought of building your own 16-foot jaw-dropper of a gingerbread house has at least crossed your mind.
Well, to build it you’d need 800 pounds of flour, 600 pounds of sugar and 1,050 pounds of honey. So we’re offering the next best thing — a taste of the experience. The Grand Floridian Bake Shop uses a classic gingerbread recipe from Austria to make their gingerbread houses, ornaments and cookies. Here’s a holiday recipe that’ll bring the Disney Parks holiday experience into your home:
Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. Makes 36 cookies
2 sticks softened butter
2 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 2/3 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 1/4 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground star anise
1 teaspoon ground fennel
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
Ingredients for decorations optional
1/4 cup milk
1 cup colored sugar granules
1. Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until smooth using an electric mixer. Add the eggs and mix until combined.
2. Sift all the remaining dry ingredients in a separate large mixing bowl and mix well. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture until a dough forms
3. Remove dough from the bowl and wrap in plastic wrap; place in refrigerator until firm, two to four hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheets.
5. Remove dough from refrigerator and allow dough to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes, until pliable. Divide dough in half and place on floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out until about 1/8 inch thick. While rolling, flour the work surface and rolling pin as needed.
6. Cut out desired cookie shapes with cookie cutters. Transfer cookies to a greased cookie sheet, placing them 1 inch apart.
7. Lightly brush cookies with milk and sprinkle with sugar granules as desired.
8. Bake until firm and edges begin to darken, 10-14 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for a minute, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
You can find star anise in the ethnic aisle in your local grocery store. To get the best flavor from this spice, you will need to grind the whole star anise pod. For the neatest edges, dip your cookie cutters in flour before cutting out each cookie.
The Grand Floridian gingerbread house offers homemade items like shingles, stollen bread, chocolate chip cookies and chocolate-peppermint bark. You’ll also find gingerbread ornaments and miniature gingerbread houses. Tell us about your favorites in the comments below after checking out some Disney Parks tips for creating your own gingerbread house.