Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion Stretch Painting

Time-Lapse Video: Grand Floridian’s Gingerbread House

posted on November 30th, 2009 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Earlier this month, the life-sized Gingerbread house at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa opened for business and we shared some tips on creating miniature houses of your own. But how we do the real thing is remarkable.

To build the 16-foot-high structure, Cast Members use 60 sheets of plywood and 1,000 board feet of trim. Also, there are 40 window panes found on the Victorian gingerbread house — and that’s just the structure.

More than 400 hours are spent baking over 10,000 pieces of gingerbread before opening. And 1,050 pounds of honey, 600 pounds of powdered sugar and 140 pints of egg whites are used each holiday season. It’s quite a process but we’ve got it in seconds.

You should know that Gingerbread house decorating demos are conducted in front of the Gingerbread House daily (except Sundays). Is this a “must see” for you? Let us know in the comments.

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Hotels & Resorts, Walt Disney World Resort

Bob on November 30th, 2009 at 11:33 am

Amazing what you can do with A LOT of gingerbread! This would definitely be a “must see” if we were lucky enough to be in WDW for Christmas! ºOº

Bob
@NCDisneyDad

melissa from NY on November 30th, 2009 at 11:55 am

I love the gingerbread house. Whenever we are there for the holidays we make sure to check it out. It is amazing!!!

Robert from TX on November 30th, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Very cool!

Karen from CA on November 30th, 2009 at 3:08 pm

We leave for Walt Disney World tomorrow and I’m so excited, since I will get to see this beautiful creation, up close and personal, since we’ll be staying at The Grand Floridian!! I can almost smell the gingerbread right now, just thinking about it!

We watched the HGTV special last night, that was a backstage look at all the Christmas decorating that goes on at WDW and I was amazed to see how many and how HUGE their decorations are!!

Can’t wait to see it tomorrow!!

Kristin from FL on November 30th, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I’m really looking forward to seeing this one!

Beth from MI on November 30th, 2009 at 6:17 pm

This is absolutely amazing. I bet the aroma at the Grand Floridian is wonderful! I will keep wishing that someday I can be at WDW during the holidays to veiw this work of art!