Via Napoli Restaurant, Italy Pavilion at Epcot

Captain EO Returns to Disneyland Resort

posted on December 18th, 2009 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

Twenty-three years ago, at the height of his phenomenal entertainment career, Michael Jackson joined forces with Disney to create “Captain EO,” a groundbreaking 17-minute 3D film experience.

We are excited to confirm that the classic musical spectacular that thrilled Disneyland park guests from 1986 – 1997, will return for an exclusive, limited engagement at Disneyland park beginning in February 2010!
Captain EO Returns
The attraction’s return to Tomorrowland will provide new audiences the opportunity to experience the original 3D production for the very first time, as well as a nostalgic look back for longtime fans wanting to see “The King of Pop” in a rare performance created for the big-screen, just one more time.

Honey I Shrunk The Audience” will be closing sometime in the next few weeks to make way for the Captain’s return.

Check back here for more details on “Captain EO.”

Filed: Disneyland Resort

112 Comments 1 Reply

Stephanie from CA on December 19th, 2009 at 3:33 am

wow i cant believe this !!! this is so awsome, It was a Disney Classic that broke the bonds of movie making tech.and inter-audieance participation ie; It’s tough to be a bug.Thanks to Iger for the attention that the parks are getting now. If only the people movers with Tron and America Sings were brought back you would have the Tommarrow Land in its prime as it was in the late 70′s and earlier 80′s Captain EO says ” Your just another part of me” Signing off as A true Disneylaner since 1975

Chevy on December 19th, 2009 at 4:43 am

Disney, you win my money for Feb 2010.

Michael on December 19th, 2009 at 9:10 am

It’s time to bring the Captain back to EPCOT as well. “Honey I Shrunk The Audience” is woefully out of date. The 3D is weak. The attendance is as well. For that fact, why stick to just one film anyway? Why not also schedule “Magic Journeys”? There is nothing in the theater that would prohibit that.

karyn on December 19th, 2009 at 9:44 am

We were in Disneyworld last year at this time and soooooo very disappointed that Captain Eo was not operating. It was one of the best attractions in the park. The entire group we were with was so shocked and upset. Now that he is gone forever, never to create another masterpiece again, we hope that the Michael Jackson will return to Disneyworld,(his favourite place on earth) as CAPTAIN EO, especially since Disneyland is bringing it back!

Kyla on December 19th, 2009 at 10:18 am

OMG this Is AMAZING news… The last time I saw Captain EO i was 5 years old, and I remember it…I am also the biggest MJ fan!!! It was unbelieveable when they announced this as we will be in Disneyland in February!!! What a gift!! SOOO excited… I cannot even wait until February….

John on December 19th, 2009 at 11:20 am

I just called guest relations at Walt Disney World. Captain EO will not be returning to EPCOT.

It will debut at Disney’s Hollywood Studios instead!!!

*February 27-March 1 2010*

Heather Hust Rivera on December 23rd, 2009 at 5:04 pm

We’re constantly evaluating attractions at Disney Parks, but Captain EO is only scheduled to return to the Disneyland Resort.

Tyler from ON on December 19th, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Can someone refresh my memory, why was Captain EO removed from the park to begin with?!

shell517nj from on December 19th, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Beautiful! A new generation of kids will enjoy the wonderments of Michael Jackson. Thank you Disney! lol, fans, we just love ourselves some Michael Jackson.

Jennifer on December 19th, 2009 at 1:32 pm

This attraction needs to stay forever! Please Disney!

Stacie on December 19th, 2009 at 1:34 pm

I am so glad to hear this! A wonderful message for all of us around the world…spread LOVE and PEACE! ‘We’re bringing brighter days’!

I’ll be there!

NB: The poster that said people will be disappointed is just plain wrong.

Jon from CA on December 19th, 2009 at 2:31 pm

What demand? What am I missing? Sure, I have a few very minor nostalgic memories of this attraction, but lets be honest, the real news yesterday was the Opening of “Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln!”

Michella on December 19th, 2009 at 3:18 pm

So excited about this and perfect timing I will be there at the end of Feb!

Elke from Christ Church on December 19th, 2009 at 4:09 pm

It is so good to hear that captain EO is returning to its rightful place. So many fans were hoping that this would happen after MJ’s death, it is so good for the younger generation to learn about this amazing man and would he stood for, peace, love, happiness, healing the world, and yes we are just another part of it!

Joe from FL on December 19th, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Exciting news! I hope they bring it back to Epcot, I would definitely make the trip to see it!

Anntoniett on December 19th, 2009 at 11:01 pm

So, I’m in my 20′s and I remember watching Captain EO with my family when I was younger and I can’t wait to see it on Feb with my family once again.

Yuji on December 19th, 2009 at 11:10 pm

I was waiting for this news for a long time.
The fan of Japan wishes the return to TDL.

He is a Superstar also in Japan.
Showing of “THIS IS IT” was extended, and ended once.
But, it has been screened again from Yesterday.

I will go from Japan to the USA to see Captain EO.

Alyssa from NY on December 20th, 2009 at 10:42 am

YAY!
I am a huge fan of Disney and Michael Jackson, and I cannot wait to see this!

BUT PRETTY PLEASE BRING IT BACK TO WDW!

Janice from FL on December 20th, 2009 at 10:51 am

It is so AWESOME Captain EO is coming back to Disneyland. Please, please, please bring it back to EPCOT too. That use to be my favorite attraction there. It doesn’t get any better than Michael in 3D! It would also be great if Captain EO could be released on DVD in 3D format with the glasses to go with it.

nancy on December 20th, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Thank you thank you so much Disney!!!! You will be making a lot of Michael’s old and new fans so happy! I watched it years ago and would love to show my kids this show. I just hope you show it longer and not for a limited engagement only pls….

Sharon on December 20th, 2009 at 3:45 pm

We’re goin’ in !!!

Enrique on December 21st, 2009 at 9:52 am

Please bring it back to Walt Disney World just once more!!

Gary from DC on December 21st, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Finally!!! I prefer Captain EO! it is ideal for Tomorrowland!

Shannon from RI on December 21st, 2009 at 12:33 pm

PLEASE BRING IT BACK TO DISNEY WORLD IN ORLANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!

Danitra on December 21st, 2009 at 1:09 pm

So what will the “honey…” theater become after Michael leaves??!

filomena from RI on December 21st, 2009 at 1:10 pm

That is awesome but how about Disney World in Florida? When is Captain EO coming here?

Robert from PA on December 21st, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Nice! I’ll be in OC in May…I’ll definitely hit Disneyland now!

Cynthia from CA on December 21st, 2009 at 10:39 pm

I was just talking about this the other day with my fiance. Unfortunately he never got to see it. This was one of my favorite attractions as a kid and I’m SO happy they brought it back. I just hope I can get there in time to see it…

Christine from MI on December 21st, 2009 at 10:42 pm

PLEASE BRING IT BACK TO FLORIDA TOO!!!:) I hope they don’t plan to keep it only for a limited time, but for a long run!

Daisy from CA on December 22nd, 2009 at 1:59 am

Yipee! I am so very happy that Disney has decided to bring back Captain EO. Too bad we lost Michael before it happened.
However, I will be there on opening day. How wonderful for a new generation to see the magic of Michael as Captain EO. Get ready because you’re not going to be able to stay in your seat!

Mary on December 22nd, 2009 at 3:17 pm

This announcement is wonderful!! But please… bring this spectacular attraction back to EPCOT in Florida as well! Since Michael Jacksons death, I felt that it was just a matter of time before we’d hear this news. I lived in California during those years that Captain EO was operating in Tomorrowland at Disneyland and saw it each and every time I visited the park.
To the powers that be in Orlando…..I think many would cherish the thought of following suit with Disneyland and preparing EPCOT for the return of Captain EO!!! You’ll be happy you did!!

Gianna from CA on December 22nd, 2009 at 8:49 pm

I first saw this when I was 5 years old! I’m now 24 and can’t wait to see it again!

Emily from CA on December 23rd, 2009 at 12:46 pm

My Mom and I ar so excited this is comming back. I am 25 and we went to Disnayland every year as a kids and we always saw Captain Eo. This year we got Disney season passes and we all have said that they should bring this back. It is too bad that Michael does not get to experience all the excitment. We will be there opening day!

Emily from CA on December 23rd, 2009 at 12:49 pm

My Mom and I can’t wait. I am 25 years old and every year as a child we would go and see this at Disneyland. I am so happy this year we got Season passes so I will be there opening day! We have been asking Disney all year if they will be bringing it back. I am so excited that they are!

Jason from DE on December 23rd, 2009 at 9:59 pm

To Disney:

Please bring EO back to EPCOT!!! PLEASE!!!!!!PLEASE!!!! How much do I have to beg? PLEASE!!!! PLEASE!!!! PLEASE!!!!!…………..

julia on December 24th, 2009 at 12:02 am

Im sooooo excited about this. the first time i saw captain EO i was 4 years old. I owned a purple Micheal jackson shirt that i had on that day we entered the theater and sat down it was the last ride we were going on for the night. after the show my mom stopped buy the balloon guy and got me a red mickey balloon. i kept the glasses from the movie. that night i really felt the disney magic. this memory for me is one of the best memory’s i have of my childhood it turned me on to disney and i have been a loyal fan ever since.i take my children to Disneyland every chance i get. i love to see the look in there eyes when the Disney magic gives them there memories. but this time i will to to Disneyland to relive my childhood thanks disney for so many years of joy. PS i still have the glasses.

mandy on December 24th, 2009 at 2:49 am

I’m planning a trip to the US in Aug 2010!I’ll not be able to go in Feb!So how long is the film going to stay in the Park?

Ng on December 24th, 2009 at 10:35 am

Will the “Captain EO” be seen in the Disneyland of Hong Kong? I and mang Hong Kong MJ fans hope so. Looking forward to seeing the film soon.

Ashley on December 24th, 2009 at 1:26 pm

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE ALL THE OLD PINS FROM 1986!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND I HAVE BEEN WAITING SO LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MICHAEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jake from TX on December 24th, 2009 at 5:59 pm

not evry body hads disny xd but evry body hads cartoonetwok i dont even have disny xd i alway wanted to wach naruto again im so sad becus ill never wach naruto again th hol resen i know about it on here becus of my friend

jake from TX on December 24th, 2009 at 6:08 pm

plz bring naruto back to cartoonnetwork because ive been aking to see naruto shippuden on cable because i thought it was coming back to cartoonnetwork but when i found out it was on disney xd i was dissapointed beacause i dont have the station and my parents cant afford to by another channel but ive seen 8 eps in english on computer but i wanna watch it on cable every wendsday like everyone else so plz that my only christmas wish is december 24th

Marie on December 25th, 2009 at 2:28 pm

I would love to see Captain EO! Our next trip will not be until at least Fall 2009 and more likely Spring 2010. I really, really hope their limited engagement lasts at least that long…. hopefully permanently.

Meganoosh from VA on December 25th, 2009 at 8:33 pm

This is great news. So excited to captain EO at disney. i wish you guys would bring it to disney world as well. Its closer to VA. Please Please. I know you would get a big audience for it.

sara on December 26th, 2009 at 3:48 pm

hi there, do you know if it will return even in disneyland resort PARIS??

Fred from CA on December 28th, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Even though the return of Captain EO is only for a limited engagement, this is still very exciting news! :)
I have a feeling that the queue line will constantly be full for this!

chantal from QC on December 29th, 2009 at 5:21 pm

heyyyy i will be going to California for the first time this summer and i’ve been a fan of Michael Jackson forever (jackson 5 days)i saw him in montreal in 1984 first and only time, hopefully i’ll be able to see captain EO when i go visit in 2010 around july or august, dont know for how long you guys are gonna be presenting it but its a real good news …see you than!!!

Gina on December 30th, 2009 at 2:44 am

I am so excited to hear that Captain EO is returning!!!!! I have to say that even though “Honey I Shrunk the Kids” is an amazing show, I started to catch my power nap in there for a while. Now I will definitely have to make my way back to the Disneyland Hotel to catch my nap!!! I will not be able to close my eyes in Captain EO for sure!! Thanks again Disneyland, only you guys know how to show a family a good time…..

Maria on January 1st, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Just went to DisneyWorld but looks like I need another trip in February to DisneyLand for Michael!!!! Excited!!!!!!!

janell on January 1st, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Hooray! There is so much excitement about Captain EO’s return! Thank you Disney for bringing it back!
I have heard of a lot of people, including me, changing their Disneyland 2010 dates just to make it to this attraction.
Would Disney please give us a hint as to how long the “limited engagement” will be? 2 months? A year? It would be so sad to make a trip from Portland, OR – or even further away – just to miss it by a few weeks. Please update us with an estimate of how long it will run. Thank you!!
Can’t wait to see it and share an experience with my kids that I enjoyed at their age. :)

Kerry from SA on January 2nd, 2010 at 11:55 am

This is the most wonderful news. I’ve been praying for this! I’ll be visit the Park for the first time in years when I come to California in July. Please, please, please may it be on then. [Love you forever Michael!]

Haruka from Aomori on January 4th, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I’m so happy to hear that.But please bring it back to Tokyo Disney Land!!Captain EO was my first experience of Michael when I was 10 years old.I can never forget it and I want to see it at Japan again!!