Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Happy Holidays from Disneyland Resort Paris

Snow-Capped Mountains Behind Sleeping Beauty’s Winter Castle

posted on December 15th, 2009 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

Snow-Capped Mountains Behind Sleeping Beauty’s Winter Castle

And you thought the Matterhorn was the only snow-capped mountain at the Disneyland Resort!

You may have heard it snows at Disneyland park during the holidays, but as this photo shows, on some days, Southern California’s snow-capped San Gabriel Mountains provide a lovely backdrop to Sleeping Beauty’s Winter Castle.

Paul Hiffmeyer, the chief photographer at the Disneyland Resort, recently captured this photo, and he has many other interesting images to share. Beginning in the new year, Paul will share his work and some of the stories that surround the images he takes.

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Bob on December 15th, 2009 at 12:20 pm

What a beautiful shot! ºOº It really makes Sleeping Beauty’s Castle look even more magical in its Fantasyland home. Can’t wait to see more of Paul’s photos in January!

NCDisneyDad Bob ºOº

Allyson from MD on December 15th, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Possibly one of the most beautiful castle pictures I have ever seen. Love it!

Diana from sonora on December 15th, 2009 at 12:29 pm

i have never notice the mountains before….lovely pic!

Kristi on December 15th, 2009 at 2:11 pm

The reason that you may not have noticed the mountains is that they are often hidden by haze and smog. A friend tells a true story about moving to Southern California and opening the curtains one morning after living there for 3 months and suddenly seeing the mountains for the first time… Don’t get me wrong, I love the area and am from California, but the haze does often hide the San Gabriels

I am curious where he was when he took this shot?? It appears to be from an elevated level…

Lee on December 15th, 2009 at 2:30 pm

I am in love with this photo. It’s always a gorgeous view when you get to see the mountains behind the castle. Usually don’t get to.

Michelle on December 15th, 2009 at 3:08 pm

What a beautiful photo! I just made it my computer’s wallpaper! :)

Mark from CA on December 15th, 2009 at 5:09 pm

he’s probably on top of a building..the refreshment (coca cola) corner perhaps

Sean from CA on December 15th, 2009 at 6:33 pm

One of my favorite places to take shots of the castle from is the wheelhouse of the Mark Twain, but the angle doesn’t look right for that.

Anthony from CA on December 15th, 2009 at 8:30 pm

It’s so cool to see the castle with a backdrop like that! It’s even cooler because I live right behind those mountains!

Robert from TX on December 16th, 2009 at 9:39 am

Nice photo!

Kelsey on December 18th, 2009 at 2:32 pm

This is gorgeous! Is there any way that this picture could be available to download in computer background format? I would love to look at it all the time since it combines my two favorite things- Disneyland and snowy mountains!

Jennifer on December 21st, 2009 at 2:10 pm

What a beautiful photo! I love the snowy SoCal mountains in the background.

Aimee from CA on December 21st, 2009 at 2:25 pm

This looks like it was taken early in the morning, it’s usually only then that the skys are clear enough (plus the park being so empty) to see those mountains.

Gina on December 21st, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Makes me wish I was there! What a great photo!

Megan on December 21st, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Magical! Walt can pull off anything . . . even a glorious snowy background for his Anaheim project 8:-D

carol on December 21st, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Awesome!!!!

Debra on December 21st, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I was there on my birthday Dec. 7th it rained all day. It was wonderful.When we left the next day to go home to Las Vegas, it looked just like that.I remember as a kid how beautiful the mountains could be.

Tobi from OH on December 21st, 2009 at 9:24 pm

I grew up 20 minutes from Disneyland, and I can count on one hand the number of times I saw the mountains this clearly. It almost looks fake, it’s so pretty. I had a coworker move to San Pedro from Colorado, and he lived there for 6 months before he knew we were surrounded by mountains. Shocked the heck out of him. Man, I forget how gorgeous the San Gabriels can be…

Mary on December 22nd, 2009 at 2:45 am

Mary from Santa Barbara, CA….
That picture is breath taking. Once again Disney really knowns how to take our breath away….Happy Holidays to all you Disney fans!

Michele from NJ on December 22nd, 2009 at 6:49 am

What a beautiful picture. I miss those days living in Southern California. I now live in New Jersey and we have 2 feet of snow. Wish I could spend Christmas in Disneyland.

linda on December 27th, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Spent December 24th and 25th at Disneyland! Wonderful time! Heard Merry Christmas everywhere from everyone!

Gina on December 30th, 2009 at 3:10 am

What an awesome picture!!!! I can’t wait to see more of his photographs. I swear everytime I go on this site I end up with tears in my eyes. Happy tears that is……..