Mickey Mouse Balloon at Disneyland Resort

Disney Parks Launches ‘Give a Day, Get a Disney Day’

posted on January 1st, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

UPDATE: Hats off to each of the one million volunteers!

Thank you to all who have participated. The last day to use the free Disney Theme Park tickets distributed in this program was December 15, 2010.

Although you can no longer use a free Disney Theme Park ticket received in connection with this program, you can still continue to give back to your community by signing up for volunteer opportunities through HandsOn Network.

If you have additional questions please contact customer service.

And don’t forget to share your Disney Parks memories!

Give a Day, Get a Disney Day

Beginning today, Disney Parks is officially launching “Give a Day, Get a Disney Day” — perform a day of volunteer service at a participating organization in 2010 and you’ll receive a free, one-day admission ticket to a Walt Disney World Resort or Disneyland Resort theme park.

If you recall, we announced the “Give a Day, Get a Disney Day” program on The Disney Parks Blog in September. Now, you can participate. It’s simple — just sign up, volunteer and redeem.

– First, visit www.DisneyParks.com or www.DisneyParks.ca, search for a volunteer activity and sign up. TThe opportunities are being coordinated by HandsOn Network, the nation’s largest volunteer network. And as you’ll notice, many of the available activities offer opportunities for families to volunteer together.

– Next, you complete the volunteer activity selected.

– Finally, when the completed day of volunteer service has been verified by HandsOn Network, you’ll print out a voucher online (instructions will be included in a follow-up e-mail from Disney Parks) before redeeming it at a Disney Park — in California at Disneyland Resort or in Florida at Walt Disney World Resort – for a one-day, one-park ticket. If a guest determines that they won’t be able to visit a Disney park (vouchers must be redeemed and tickets used by Dec. 15, 2010), they can donate the ticket to a charity designated by Disney: Boys & Girls Clubs of Southern California; Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida; Dreams Take Flight Canada.

Keep checking The Disney Parks Blog for updates on “Give a Day, Get a Disney Day.”

There are also some official details you should know about: You must pre-register and sign up for eligible volunteer opportunity at disneyparks.com. Ticket quantities for this program are limited. Must be at least age 6 to participate. Other terms and conditions apply. For details, see disneyparks.com in the United States and Puerto Rico. In Canada, see disneyparks.ca.

Filed: Disney Differences, Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Amber from CO on January 2nd, 2010 at 11:17 am

I have read through all the Q&A’s but cannot find answers to the following questions, will someone please help:

We already have plane tickets and Resort paid for to come to WDW 3/27/09 – 4/3/09. Most of that week is during the black out time. What are our options if we are not able to come to the a park on the only not blacked out date we will be there, March 28, 2009?

If we upgrade our ticket to a multi-day ticket, does the free ticket credit the equivilant of a 1 day ticket, or do we get credit at the per-day rate. e.g. – 1 one day ticket is $79, but we want 5 day passes, do we get $79 off on the 5 day pass or do we get the per day rate of $49.50 off? And, will we be able to use the upgraded 5 day passes during the black-out period?

Can we redeem the voucher and upgrade our tickets at a legitimate wholesaler?

If we choose the Fast Pass option, do the same black out dates apply?

If we choose the Fast Pass option, since all 5 of us are serving, can we each exchange our voucher for the 5 Fast Passes option and get 5 days of Fast Passes for 5 people?
e.g. 1st day person 1 redeems their voucher for 5 Fast Passes, 2nd day person 2 redeems their voucher for 5 Fast Passes to use on day 2, etc?

Thank you!

Joshua from AZ on January 2nd, 2010 at 11:19 am

I have been trying since 5
7:00am my time and no luck at all it give me an error when trying to sign up on the hands on network. I am all registered but can’t get in. I am wondering if you can sign up directly with the charities and it still count?

Amber from CO on January 2nd, 2010 at 11:19 am

Opps, change those years to 2010 please

Cynthia on January 2nd, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I am having the same problem. Tried several times yesterday throughout the day on the Disney site…kept telling me my session had timed out. Tried this morning and was able to register on the Disney site ok, but now getting “error in use and stack overflow at line 47″ error on Hands on Network site. Very frustrating but hopefully will be fixed soon :o )

David from NC on January 2nd, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I am still getting the error message when I try to confirm the people in my party and the time and place we volunteered. I tried to start from scratch and do it all over again and got to the same spot with a different email address and received the same error. This is very frustrating and I hope Disney will work to make this problem right. From the posts above this is Very Bad PR for something that started out with a win – win situation for everyone wishing to participate.

Michelle on January 2nd, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I had no luck yesterday, but today I finally got an “account”. Now I am getting the same “error-in-use” when I try to sign up. I missed a chance at something I wanted to do. I Might try back when the East Coast is asleep and most of the West.

Tanya from CA on January 2nd, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I’m getting the same error message. This is very frustrating, I spent several hours trying yesterday and gave up. I woke up this morning and almost completed the process until I got the same error message. I’m not giving up though. I’ve already decided we are going to voluteer regardless if the tickets are gone. I want my kids to learn to give. Good luck to everybody and Happy New Year!

Cindie from NJ on January 2nd, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Today I can get through the first page and then it says NJ is not a valid US state. Can anyone help?

Cindie from NJ on January 2nd, 2010 at 5:20 pm

After 6 hours of trying and being told NJ is not a US state and seeing the place I wanted to volunteer running out of slots I used NY instead of NJ. I hope that does not make a difference.

Melanie from AB on January 2nd, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I think the whole idea is great, so I hate to complain, but as a huge percentage of families going to Disney have younger children, it would be nice if there were more opportunities for children under 10. There were 5 pages of listings for my area, and only 3 places that would allow my 7 yr old. I know the site says that more will be added, but as a Disney venture I would of expected it to be more kid friendly. Maybe they should have also teamed up with a more child oriented non profit organization.

David from NC on January 2nd, 2010 at 7:59 pm

The system allowed the last step to go through. It has taken approx 36 hours for this to happen but we have received our confirmation. My family is very excited! HURRAY!

Lakita from VA on January 3rd, 2010 at 10:42 am

HEY I’AM FROM D,C NOW LIVING IN RICHMOND,VA I HAVE ONE SON AND BEEN TAKING CARE OF MY SISTER FOR TEN YEAR.I’AM 29 YEAR OLD VERY STRONG IF NEEDED.FUN,AND WELL TO HELP AS MUCH AS I CAN.I’AM FREE ON THE WEEK-ENDS.I’AM IN SCHOOL DOING THE WEEK.JUST LET KNOW EVERYTHING I NEED TO DO.AND WILL TRY ME BEST TO GET IT DONE

Jackie on January 3rd, 2010 at 10:51 am

I love this new thing! “Give a day, get a Disney day” is such a great idea. Using a Disney ticket is just the right way to encourage volunteering.

kristy from TX on January 3rd, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Hey someone I have been trying for three days to log in for the give a day get a day. I already have Habit for humanity emailing us to work there are 6 of us but cant seem to find a registration sign up place on the disneys site am I missing something? PLEASE HELP.

Michele on January 4th, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I’ve been trying to verify my volunteers who attended my group’s opportunity and the website does not register the final step. I’m obligated to verify with 24 hrs of completion and now my organization looks bad. I’ve been trying for 2 days now and am very frustrated and feel bad for those people who would like the ticket for a Disney trip next week.
So don’t feel too bad that you can’t find an opportunity because it can’t be verified as of now.

sarina on January 5th, 2010 at 2:07 am

I dont know if anyone from disney is actually reading this but if you are please give us alittle direction. Been trying since Jan. 1 to no avail. I have posted comments on other sites,searched for helpline numbers and have emailed customer service but still no answers….

Jennifer on January 7th, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I have a question – I logged on (January 1st)and was successful and signed up 4 members of my family for something on Monday January 4th. We completed our give a day task – in Atlanta.
I did receive a Disney “thank you” email but I am unable to log on and check the status of my voucher. It won’t let me log in when I go to “Manage your accounts”. (I get an error message when I try.) Thinking I may have made a password goof – I changed my password but still no luck! After a few attemps I am told I exceeded the # of attempts and to wait for 20 minutes. I did call Disney yesterday and was told to try again at another time as the site is overwelmed with people – I think it is the hands on site I am trying to get to. Has anyone here had any luck with the “Manage your accounts” step after they do their service day??? We will be in Orlando for MLK weekend…and fingers are crossed our vouchers will come by email before then!
PS – WE HAD A FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE – It was my oldest’s child’s 9th birthday and what a cool way to start off his 9th year! :)

Kimberly from FL on January 8th, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I have been trying to sign up for five days. The email pending processing message is what I get. I’ve tried every email address we have and I get the same message. “Try again tomorrow.” Why bother??? The same thing just happens again the next day! I understand this isn’t something Disney has to do – it’s nice of them, but I’d like to find someone who can help me make this work for our family. I’ve been so looking forward to this!

Jennifer on January 9th, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Just a follow up on my earlier post # 67!
I tried another guess on my origingal password and “ta-dah” I was able to connect and “manage my accounts”. Our service day was January 4th, we did our day and Disney verified it and I was able to PRINT our VOUCHERS last night – January 8th 2010!!!! FAST!!!

We are so excited – we will use them on January 17th 2010 at Disney World- which happens to also be my husband’s 50th BIRTHDAY!!!!

We enjoyed our experience and are now able to truly have a wonderful B-day celebration for my husband – who lost his job last JUNE – it has been rocky and this is more meaningful than you can imagine!!!

Hope everyone else gets scheduled and has a great time!

Kris from MN on January 9th, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I am having an awful time with the website. I picked a volunteer site and have coordinated the service to do with them. When I went to put down the date and time, it initially told me that the service would be verified in 24 hours. Now, that message is gone and it says I still need to pick a site. However, the original site is no longer listed. I even tried to go under a new email address to redo the whole thing. I am glad to have volunteered, but I think I am going to have to start the whole thing over again with a new place. Shouldn’t this be a bit easier? What am I doing wrong?

TINA from TX on January 11th, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Do we just keep tying to register after receiving confirmation from the organization to register our volunteer date I keep trying but no luck the same error 48 continues to come up and it is within 60 days?

wendy from PA on January 20th, 2010 at 8:36 pm

The sign up page says I can sign up to 8 members of my family to volunteer. I tried to sign up 5 and it wouldn’t allow me to. So now there are five of us volunteering and only 4 will be getting credit. I have also tried to add a volunteer under “manage my account” and it will not allow me to do that either. It is a great idea Disney, but I have never experienced such a hard time trying to volunteer. If this is what it takes no wonder there arent enough volunteers in the world. It takes too much effort!!!

Kim from MO on January 22nd, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I need assistance. The website is blocking me from registering my children (ages 10 and 7) for an approved volunteer activity that accepted children their age. My children have already completed the approved volunteer activity and were thrilled to work with animals in our community. We understand we are unable to receive a voucher for their volunteer service unless they are registered participants through the website. But, when I attempt to register them, I receive a pop-up that reads “Children under the age of 18 must register with a parent”. We did volunteer as a family and the children were accompanied by adults. We are grateful this program created an outlet to volunteer as a family in our community. Now, I just need help to obtain the vouchers for our 2 children. They are really looking forward to their first trip to Disney!! Thanks for your direction.

courtney on January 23rd, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I have volunteered and have vouchers for 3 members of my family. Here’s my question. Will be get a discount for a full day, (79 adults/68 kids)or will we just get the difference from buying a 4 day pass instead of our original plans to buy a 5 day pass (approx. 9 bucks each). I also saw something about a figurine for multi-day pass holders. Is this what we will receive instead of a cash discount? We are going February 15th and will buy our tickets when we arrive the first day.

courtney on January 23rd, 2010 at 2:57 pm

In addition to my questions on 74… If we choose the Fast Pass Option, how does that work? Aren’t free fast passes already available in the parks? What is different about this method of getting Fast Passes?

Christina on January 27th, 2010 at 11:52 pm

does anyone know if you are able to pay the difference if you want to get a 2 day park hopper??

Christina on January 27th, 2010 at 11:55 pm

does anyone know if there is a phone # to call with questions?

Lisa on January 30th, 2010 at 11:02 am

i am very frustrasted…i have tried for 3 days now to register for various events only to get to the final page and get error “error in use” what is this error and how can i or use fix it???? thx!!