Halloween at Walt Disney World Resort

This Day in Disney History …

posted on January 14th, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

As many of you know, we like to post details about Disney history on our @Disneyparks Twitter account. But today, we’ve stumbled on an image worth noting on the blog. On this day in 1990, the first of two four story dolphins were placed atop the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort – which is now a Starwood property.
Dolphin Crowning at Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort

Tagged:

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Disney History, Hotels & Resorts, Walt Disney World Resort

Dan from CA on January 14th, 2010 at 6:45 pm

I love those Dolphins, and the hotel… however, my wife and I both agree that those do NOT look like Dolphins. Maybe a fish of some sort? But definately not Dolphins. Anyone else agree?

Chris on January 14th, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I always thought those were fish too.

Lisa from FL on January 14th, 2010 at 9:13 pm

My cousin and I decided it was the dolphin fish, not the mammal ^_^
We stayed in the swan, next door a couple years ago.. they are both gorgeous hotels!

Elaine on January 14th, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Whoo I stayed there this past summer for a family vacation! Yeah, they don’t really look like dolphins but everything else is great.

Mario on January 15th, 2010 at 6:15 am

First, they are not speaking about the traditional dolphin we all know, its a dolphin fish (or mahi-mahi).

Second, I heard that the contractor put the dolphin statutes atop the wrong hotel. They placed them on the Swan hotel in error but it was to much trouble to change them around so they just changed hotel names.

Jason from FL on January 15th, 2010 at 8:38 am

It is the Dolphin fish, not the mammal. The Dolphin fish is also known as Mahi-Mahi.

Margaret from MD on January 16th, 2010 at 6:45 pm

I remember when we saw the Dolphins in the parking lot before they were raised – we thought they looked like giant pineapples!

PATRICIA from PUERTO RICO on January 17th, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I AGREE WITH DAN, THOSE ARE NOT DOLPHIN. I AM A DOLPHIN LOVER.

Grant from AB on January 19th, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I believe it was always a Starwood property, right from the start.