Mad Tea Party at Disneyland Resort

Official Reopening Date Set for ‘Captain EO’ Featuring Michael Jackson

posted on February 19th, 2010 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

Since we first announced the return of “Captain EO” on the Disney Parks Blog, there has been an incredible response from fans, and we’ve received many enthusiastic emails and phone calls asking exactly when the classic “Captain EO” attraction featuring Michael Jackson will reopen.

Today, we are excited to give you an update on the Captain’s return!

On Tuesday, February 23, as a tribute to the magic, music and messages of “Captain EO,” the 3-D musical adventure is returning to the Tomorrowland theater in which it debuted. While it’s not possible to replicate some special effects elements from the original presentation, it will boast a new 70mm print of the film, and it will sound better than ever thanks to acoustic enhancements made to the theater since the film last played there in 1997.
1986 photo of 'Captain EO' characters at Disneyland park.

1986 photo of “Captain EO” characters at Disneyland park.

Check back on the Disney Parks Blog next week for more updates. We’ll also share a special “Captain EO” announcement on Twitter early next week. To be the first to hear it, follow us on Twitter: @Disneyland.

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Lucas from CA on February 20th, 2010 at 2:14 pm

How long is it going to stay open?

Rhonda from CA on February 20th, 2010 at 3:49 pm

All I can say is thank you thank you lol. Hopefully it’s still open when I get there March 14th!!

Mary from CA on February 20th, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I’m really excited about seeing it again, and I can’t wait to show it to my husband! He didn’t grow up going to Disneyland and has never seen it! We’re going the first week of April…it will still be playing then, right?

Daniel on February 20th, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I am in Disneyland now and just found out captain eo will be returning this Tuesday.

Daniel on February 20th, 2010 at 6:23 pm

captain eo is returning this tuesday

mai on February 21st, 2010 at 8:23 am

I am soo excited!! i have been checking the blog almost everyday ever since you announced it will return! can’t wait for tomorrow’s special announcement and i really hope it will be up until this summer break so i can go see it! :D

Jen from OH on February 21st, 2010 at 3:02 pm

man, i was hoping it would make it to Florida. im working hard at school and things so i can get a promised trip to WDW but this is pretty much enough to make me want to go to disneyland instead. i love captain EO but ive only ever seen it in 2-D

Fred from CA on February 21st, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Debbie–”Honey I Shrunk the Audience” has closed in order for Captain EO to play.

SHARON from UT on February 21st, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Can’t wait to see it again! Going in late March and I assume it will be there through the summer. I understand the show will not have all the special effects that it originally did in the theater. I don’t think anyone will really miss the laser lights and fog, I just want my kids to see the masterful creation of “Captain EO” and the magic of George Lucas, Disney and Michael Jackson. Can’t wait to hear MJ say “We’re goin’ in”!

sandie on February 22nd, 2010 at 1:31 am

I have prayed for this day for many years. I can hardly wait to take my Grandchildren!

Juan-Miguel on February 22nd, 2010 at 1:38 am

Yes!!! Heather, is it the laser elements that will not be recreated? I remember them shooting all around the theater. So excited to see this again, as a “grown-up!” :)

BRIAN from CA on February 22nd, 2010 at 3:37 am

Heather are there any plans to do a premeire week-end like D.L did for Captain EO back in the 80″s

Monica from CA on February 22nd, 2010 at 12:47 pm

i may make a trip to disneyland tomorrow evening JUST to see it. thank goodness for passes! :D

Kristin on February 22nd, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Will the plush toy’s be available during the limited engagement(i.e. Hooter)?

SUSAN on February 22nd, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I was there at the orginal Captain EO opening weekend and will be attending it tomorrow for it’s grand reopening!!! And I have pix w/ the characters from opening weekend, I still hope I have the promo shirt that weekend too:) CAN’T WAIT!!!!! Thank you!!!

Ruben on February 22nd, 2010 at 3:30 pm

it’s finally here. after year of watting. i remember in 1980′s when it was out, but it’s bin so long.

Lyra from FL on February 22nd, 2010 at 4:38 pm

They need to bring EO back to EPCOT!!!! Not only is the HISTA attraction so boring and outdated but EO is 10 times more fun! People will flock to it!!

Clyde on February 22nd, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Will there be any support for hearing impaired guests? Rear Window Captions or other methods?

lena from IL on February 22nd, 2010 at 7:42 pm

While I’m excited for Disneyland, I’m going to need Captain EO to come back to Epcot. I loved it when I was a kid and would love for my kids to experience it. BRING CAPTAIN EO BACK TO DISNEY WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan on February 22nd, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I also hope that Captain EO has descriptive audio for the visually impaired. Wouldn’t that be sweet? SOmething to improve over the original. Amazing sound with description would make an amazing experience.

robert on February 22nd, 2010 at 11:13 pm

omg i remember being in line on opening day back in 1986 it was my sister and me and my dad bob from camera shop. i still cant believe hooter ate the map….lol I will being showing up to see a classic 3d film

Lisa from VA on February 23rd, 2010 at 9:05 am

“We’ll also share a special “Captain EO” announcement on Twitter early next week.”

I hope this special announcement is that it’s heading to WDW next.

Heather from NV on February 23rd, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I am SOOOOOO excited this is back! I’ve never been to Disneyland or Disney World, much less seen Capt EO. This is such a treat to be able to see it now. Too bad it took MJ’s death to bring it back. Either way, the message of the mini-movie is about peace and love, so I know it’s timeless.

I hope this runs twice as long as the first time! I just saw a photo on Twitter showing the characters. I hope they are still walking around the Tomorrowland theater by the time I make it there. An exciting magic nugget of my childhood has been revived for our children to enjoy.

THANK YOU DISNEY!

Charlene on February 24th, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Due to a family tragedy I had cancelled our Disney trip this spring, but now seeing this, it is back on. I would love nothing better than to show my daughter this part of MJ’s abilities mixed with the magic only Disney can bring. I think it may be the best medicine for both of us! See you in a couple months!

Craig on February 24th, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Are there any hidden Mickey’s in the Capt Eo attraction?

Donald on February 24th, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I have a question for you Ms. Heather. In the blurb you write that it is not possible to replicate some of the “special effects elements” from the original presentation. Why is that? It would seem that in this day and age any special effects would not only be replicated, but improved.

Andrew from FL on February 26th, 2010 at 11:24 am

really excited cant wait to see it wow

Ronald on March 16th, 2010 at 10:51 am

How can we get Captain Eo permanently situated in Tomorrowland?-the fans

Tom on March 20th, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Can’t wait to see this again, saw if several times, in the past and excited for my Grandson Tyler to see it.

Tom & Diane

Genie from FL on March 20th, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I am so disappointed that Captain EO isn’t going to be in Orlando.
I was looking so forward to it. Do you have any idea at all when Captain EO will be coming to Orlando. I can’t wait to see it.