'Honey, I Shrunk the Kids' Movie Set Adventure at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Record-Breaking Canned Food Sculpture Unveiled at Walt Disney World

posted on February 11th, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Record-Breaking Canned Food Sculpture at Walt Disney World

Less than 24 hours after announcing big news at Walt Disney World, we have more to share. We just unveiled the largest canned food structure ever created — more than 115,000 cans.

Record-Breaking Canned Food Sculpture at Walt Disney World

Update: We’ve posted a high-resolution photo of the canned food structure here.

The massive sculpture titled “Celebrate Volunteers” was unveiled as part of a special “Give a Day, Get a Disney Day” celebration honoring family volunteers and the spirit of giving at Epcot’s World Showcase. It took about 500 hours of volunteer work to construct and shape the 44 tons of food into the Disney character structure. Look closely…Mickey’s head was shaped from cans of black olives and Pluto’s eyes were created with cans of sliced pineapple. Here’s how the rest of it came together:

We figured out that if all of the cans in the sculpture were stacked on top of one another, the topmost can would be more than one mile above the 29,035-foot summit of Mt. Everest. But what goes up, must come down. The sculpture will be disassembled by Disney VoluntEARs and other volunteers and the cans will be taken to food banks for those in need. There’s enough food for more than 70,000 meals.

By the way, according to a Guinness World Records adjudicator, the new record easily beat the old mark of 54,527 cans set last year in New Zealand.

Filed: Walt Disney World Resort

Leslie on February 11th, 2010 at 11:19 am

Saw the live feed and just absolutely love this sculpture. Disney does it again!

Robert from TX on February 11th, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Saw the live video! Awsome sculpture!

BillieJean from NJ on February 11th, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Amazing!

Denise from WI on February 11th, 2010 at 12:38 pm

That is the Coolest thing Ever!! Way to go Disney!

Amanda on February 11th, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Breath taking and amazing!!! DISNEY ROCKS!!!

Shawn from GA on February 11th, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Very cool!! Where is it in World Showcase and how long will it be up?

Beth from MI on February 11th, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Absolutely DisneyFanTastic! :) Way to go to all of the people who put this together. This not only is great because it made World Record Status, but it is helping others with some basic needs!

Erin on February 11th, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Only Disney… amazing <3

Carrie from AB on February 11th, 2010 at 12:51 pm

That is fantastic… sure wish there was a share button so I could post and show all my FB friends… they are missing out :) Once Again Disney does it AWESOME!

Becky on February 11th, 2010 at 1:34 pm

What a fantastic design! I’ve tried can structures before. They can be tricky. Trust Disney to do it right and GINORMOUS. You’ll make a lot of hungry families very happy with your donation. :)

Tina from UT on February 11th, 2010 at 5:31 pm

What an amazing site. I love what can be done when we all dig in and help, especially when we are helping others. Way to go Disney. Love it!

SAMI on February 11th, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Magical touch Like Always …… I Say God bless Disney and help the needy :)

Brianna on February 11th, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Way to go Disney for doing this—what a great cause! Not only are they encouraging others to donate time and service to the community through the “Give a Day, Get a Day” program, but they are practicing what they promote and doing their part, too. Even when the economy is suffering and Disney surely feels it, the company still gives so much. Donating 115,000 cans is pretty impressive, not to mention the million free park admissions that they’re handing out to volunteers! I love how Disney cares enough to give back, even though they don’t have to.

Also, I love the creativity in this! Who else would have thought to form Mickey and his friends out of canned food?! The creativity that is used to design everything in the parks always amazes me. I love Disney, and it makes me happy to see everything that they are doing. :)

mary on February 11th, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Disney does it right, always!!!

lucy from dorset on February 12th, 2010 at 5:36 am

omg loving it, reading these blogs are making me want to go on holiday now! shame i cant get more holiday time off work. :) well done disney

robert on February 12th, 2010 at 8:21 am

Im proud of Disney for doing this…”Give a Day” is a real way to give back to the community and Disney is leading the world of business in this charge!!!

Robert from IA on February 12th, 2010 at 9:36 am

It looks awesome. I was in Epcot yesterday but wasn’t able to see it. Its too bad it was not on display longer or for those visiting to see.

Heather from FL on February 12th, 2010 at 11:57 am

This is totally in the Disney spirit of giving back! I know Second Harvest and the other food bank recipients will be thrilled to receive these donations; everyone is having tough times these days and I know their everyday donations are down as more people than ever struggle to make ends meet. Kudos to Disney and all the Voluntears for making this happen!

Lisa from OH on February 12th, 2010 at 12:48 pm

So amazing!!! :) ♥ Disney and their quest for a better world!!

Shannon on February 12th, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Each can is like a pixel. Amazing. I especially loved this because our service was to bag cans of groceries at a local food bank.
My son was the “box stomper”. I hope lots of people in FL and ATL like olives!! A great idea.

gerri on February 16th, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Wow that’s crazy! Congrats!