Main Street, U.S.A., at Magic Kingdom Park

A Glimpse of the Circle D Corral at Disneyland Park

posted on March 30th, 2010 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

We’ve all seen the horses on Main Street, U.S.A in Disneyland park, but do you know where these horses really live? Backstage, north of Frontierland in Disneyland park, there is a working ranch, called Circle D Corral.

Here are some fun facts to consider before taking a step “backstage” in today’s video to see the animals that live in Circle D Corral:

• The ranch is currently home to 28 horses, a jersey cow, two miniature donkeys, three turkeys and 15 goats.
  • Forty-eight cast members work at the ranch.
  • All the horses are large, “draft” horses (“draft horses” are horses that are adapted to pull heavy loads).
  • The following breeds of horse are represented at Circle D: Percheron, Clydesdale, Belgian and Shire.
  • No Disneyland horse works more than 4 hours a day, 3 days a week.
  • And, like all cast members, the horses at Disneyland park always wear their name tags when they are working.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

michael from TX on March 30th, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I’m certain I don’t stand alone, when I say, I’d like to see more of the Circle D Corral.

Excellent information and video!

Suzanne from CA on March 30th, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Awesome,Like those working hours!

Margaret on March 30th, 2010 at 2:35 pm

What a great place to live. I would love to work there, behind the scenes with the horses and other animals, of course it would make my horses jealous. My kind of place.

Mark from CA on March 30th, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Great video clip. I’d like to see more of the Circle D ranch. I wish I could get a job with those hours.

Fred from CA on March 30th, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Very cool video.
I agree with Michael; I’d like to see more videos about the Circle D Corral as well.

I love seeing the horses on Main Street.

jessica on March 30th, 2010 at 2:41 pm

can you visit this ranch?

Felicia from CA on March 30th, 2010 at 3:17 pm

That was so adorable! I’m so glad I got the privilege to tour Circle D a few weeks ago <3

Elizabeth on March 30th, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Thnks for that glimpse!! A behind-the-scenes would be an awesome tour or contest prize, by the way.

Jennifer on March 30th, 2010 at 4:04 pm

On the 19th there was a blog about paper animation for World of Color, it said “Heather Hust Rivera will give a more in depth update on “World of Color” next week, but in the mean time, take a look at this video and see for yourself.”

Where is the update on World of Color??? Don’t get me wrong, I love all the tidbits of cool info on Disneyland, but we are going to be there April 19-24 and we really want to know if World of Color will be up & running, we are so excited to see it!

Charles on March 30th, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Excellent behind-the-scenes info! (Like those working hours too!)

It just seems hard to imagine that this serene area exists…because when I think of Disneyland I think of how it’s landlocked, and I just associate it being surrounded with the hustle-and-bustle of the typical LA suburb…

Amanda on March 30th, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Great information! I never really thought about where the horses went when they weren’t working.

Doug on March 30th, 2010 at 7:54 pm

How do the Horses react to the fireworks?

Reshma from BC on March 30th, 2010 at 11:32 pm

We found the animals and ranch by accident on our last visit in 2008. We have been numerous times before but never found the horses.

My kids were in heaven! It was quiet and cool at the ranch. The building had colouring and the kids, 5 and 3 at the time, could have a low key hour. On the way out we met Woody and Jessie! And no lines! This is still a highlight of our trip for the preschool set!

Wendy from CA on March 31st, 2010 at 9:46 am

I feel like I’ve seen non-draft horses before at Disneyland – like for special parades with Prince Charming riding them. If I’m correct, where do they come from?

Ashley on March 31st, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I’ve always wondered where the horses are kept! It would sure be cool if they let people check out the ranch. That would be my ideal job at disneyland!

Alan on March 31st, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Where do I go to tour the ranch?

debra from CA on April 1st, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I love that Disneyland has living creatures to see and observe in a place that seems “make believe.” I love the video of the ranch, and would love to see more of the the horses, and the ducks, and the growing vegetables! Disneyland is definitely a magical place!