Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

Disney Dream Update

posted on March 2nd, 2010 by Jonathan Frontado, Disney Cruise Line

It’s mind-blowing to think that in less than a year the Disney Dream ship will be sailing the waters of the Caribbean. Today, I have a very special post all the way from Papenburg, Germany – birthplace of our newest ship, the Disney Dream.

The Disney Cruise Line team over in Germany sent over some recent photos to show how the ship is coming along. First, a very iconic element of the Disney Cruise ships, the funnel. The image below shows one of our 200-ton funnels sailing through icy European waters on its way to the Meyer Werft Shipyard where the rest of the Disney Dream is currently under construction. Don’t worry about the white coloring, once it arrives into the shipyard we’ll give it a few coats of that Mickey-Mouse-red paint that has become a symbol of our cruise ships.
Disney Dream Under Construction
The second image showcases how fast the ship is coming together and gives us a sneak peak of the ship building process. The Disney Dream is being built like a giant Lego set: first, individual blocks, or sections, are assembled at ground level, then a huge crane picks them up and places them on their final location on the ship. If you look at the image you can see the bridge of the ship making its way on the crane ready to be mounted on the forward section of the ship.
Disney Dream
I can’t wait for the Disney Dream to arrive and I’m really looking forward to experiencing all the amazing innovations onboard the ship. What are you looking forward to experiencing aboard the Disney Dream?

Also, if you haven’t done so, go and check our new Facebook page. We are posting really cool behind-the-scenes stuff, including never-before-seen images of the Disney Dream.

Filed: Disney Cruise Line

Bill on March 2nd, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Your Facebook link does not go to the official DCL Facebook page

Lou from FL on March 2nd, 2010 at 12:22 pm

These are great! Thank you for sharing! As someone who is going on the Dream in just under one year (Feb. 27!), this is really helps keep me excited about going! (and from purely a “geek perspective” it’s so cool to watch the ship come together like this!)

Please keep these types of updates coming!

Lou
WDWRadio.com

Mike from TX on March 2nd, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Looking great! I can’t wait for this new Dream ship to hit the waters of the Caribbean!

I echo Lou, keep the news coming.

catherine on March 2nd, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Absolutly amazing!!! the way ships are assembled!!Would love to be able to afford the $$$ to go right to the ship yard.I know the “Magic” is offering trips when we’re in Europe.I am one of many, many, many, Disney fans who can’t wait to step on board the new “DREAM” ship.

Veronica from FL on March 2nd, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Booked the Inaugural Voyage for the Dream!!! Can’t wait!! Thanks for the Photo’s – keeps us dreaming!!

Richard from KY on March 2nd, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I tried to go see the Dream at the Meyerwerft website, but the cam for the Dream was turned off! I was hoping to watch it come together over the next few weeks.

It is a beautiful ship.

Mike on March 2nd, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Booked on the 5/29/2011 5 night Dream cruise. First EVER double dip cruise for the Dream!!!

Simon from MI on March 2nd, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Excellent photos, Jonathan. Having been to Meyer Werft several times, it looks like they are really on a rolle and the quality of their work shows through well. The finished product should be truly superb.

Simon Veness

PS: How are you enjoying Papenburg? Not a lot there, is there?!

Richard from KY on March 2nd, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Okay, I just tried the Meyerwerft webcam again. It’s up and running and you can see that beautiful ship!

Reggie on March 2nd, 2010 at 2:11 pm

This is exciting! Its really remarkable seeing such large structures under construction. We are hoping that our first cruise will be on the dream sometime in the future.

Lori on March 2nd, 2010 at 2:41 pm

This is great….keep the pictures coming! Like Veronica, we’re booked on the maiden voyage as well….and I can’t wait! January 26th, 2011 can’t get here fast enough!

Kevin on March 2nd, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Thank you for sharing the pictures. As a Castaway Club memeber, it’s the DCL difference where you feel part of the “family” that makes us loyal cruisers! Can’t wait to see more pictures!!

Mary on March 2nd, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Mary from Santa Barbara, CA….
I cant wait my family and I want to plan a trip to Mexico next year on the Disney Cruise Line…please share more pictures!!!

barbara from NY on March 2nd, 2010 at 5:54 pm

yay!!!!!! thanks for the updates and the photos!!!! we are counting down to maiden voyage!!!!!!!!

John on March 2nd, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Looks great. Cant wait to sail aboard her…

Of coarse Lou was the first to post here!

Renea on March 2nd, 2010 at 7:11 pm

How Exciting!!! I am on the maiden voyage also!!! see some of you there!!

Van & Marie from TX on March 2nd, 2010 at 8:29 pm

There is a very distinctive hole on the picture of the funnel. If I was a bettin man (I’m not since there isn’t a casino on the ship:),I would think that is where the Aquaduck passes through the forward funnel. And for all you parents with pre-teens out there, that is where your kids will hang out, “The Edge Tween Club” accept here, it’s on ice!

Robert from FL on March 3rd, 2010 at 12:40 am

It looks like I’m joining Mike on the 5/29/11 Dream voyage. The maiden voyage was a bit out of my reach. Looking at those pictures and the Meyer Werft camera, they sure have been busy! I’m guessing that hole in the funnel is for the Aquaduck to pass through. Thank you very much for posting those two pictures!

Tiffany from FL on March 3rd, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Hey, hey, Disney Parks – will do the Disney Dream on 2013, 2 years after maiden voyage! I’m making DCL a 5-year thing and I can’t wait to check her out!

Rikki from M on March 3rd, 2010 at 9:12 pm

So excited to see this beautiful ship in it’s building process! And even more excited to actually get to be a guest on the ship in June 2011! Keep up the Dream info! Can’t get enough!

Rikki

Barbara from PA on March 5th, 2010 at 4:30 pm

We are booked on the 5/29/11 5 night Bahamas cruise. Can’t wait to see this beautiful new ship!!! See you there Mike and Robert!! ºOº

Paul on March 6th, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Keep the pic coming. Better yet, make a tilt-shift video of the construction.

Matthew from FL on March 7th, 2010 at 9:53 am

Also booked on the maiden voyage. 325 days to go!!! Wish the webcam was in real time. Does anyone know when Disney will take actual delivery of the Dream, and when she will arrive in Port Canaveral? As a resident of central Florida, I would love to see the ship arrive on the first day.

Mary on March 8th, 2010 at 8:05 am

Already booked 4/11! Can’t wait!!

Nancy on March 29th, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I’m on it January 26th (which is also my birthday, thank you Disney for being so considerate as to get me a brand new ship!!!! LOL) and August 2nd! Whooo-hooooo!