Tokyo Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion

Drawing Characters ‘Is Way of Life’ for Disney Artist

posted on March 18th, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

If you joined us at launch, you know Don “Ducky” Williams has been a part of the blog family since day one. His Sorcerer Mickey helped give life to our first post — it’s what he does as an artist with The Yellow Shoes Creative Group. For Don, the characters are more than drawings, they’re living, breathing personalities and creating the art “is a way of life.” I can’t look away when he begins working and you won’t be able to either as he draws a quick Goofy in his office.

Yes, Don is able to look at a cartoon from the 1930s and tell who animated the scene. I’m also amazed at how many characters he can draw. He has produced characters for Walt Disney World and Disney Cruise Line.

This is the first of our visits to Don’s office so let us know which character you’d like to see “come to life” next.

Filed: Art of Disney, Behind the Scenes, Cast Member Profiles, Walt Disney World Resort

Jason on March 18th, 2010 at 11:22 am

I’d like to see him bring Scrooge McDuck to life.

Lee on March 18th, 2010 at 11:23 am

I was privileged enough to be in a class lecture given by Don a few years ago and won a drawing of Donald he did in a raffle after the class! So many great stories and such a great person. He really is what Disney is all about.

Terry from OH on March 18th, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Great post! I would love to see Don draw various feature film characters. ANY would suffice, but a few that come to mind are The Three Caballeros, Sorcerer Mickey, or any Lady and the Tramp characters!

I would also love to have Don take some of the old drawings, explain who drew them, and give us a lesson on recognizing the styles of the animators. That would be a very interesting and educational insight into the world of animation!!!

Mary on March 18th, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Mary from CA….
Amazing!!!!!!!!!

Daniel from FL on March 18th, 2010 at 4:10 pm

It is always wonderful to see “Ducky” get public recognition. Most of his work is done behind the scenes and without credit for his masterful talent. Aside from being a friendly and approachable person, he is a generous font of knowledge about Disney history, and he really has a true passion and demonstrated integrity for Disney’s art and animation. Don’s art (which is very popular with collectors) shows an amazing level of skill with highly-detailed and faithfully-accurate depictions of all the Disney characters. He is always a grand ambassador of Disney goodwill when he is meeting guests and making appearances for Disneyana fan clubs and on the Disney Cruise Line. Don “Ducky” Williams is a real Disney legend for all he has done to spread the Disney magic.

Susan on March 18th, 2010 at 6:05 pm

I would love to see Cinderella. I have always been in awe of the animators! They are truly talented people.

Rebecca on March 18th, 2010 at 6:09 pm

4-year-old Dorothy and I both agree we’d love to see Don draw Donald!

Margaret from GA on March 18th, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I can’t tell you how big my grin was in watching Goofy come to life on the page at the hand of a true master.

I would like to see the rascally Chip & Dale brought to life, if possible.

Jane on March 18th, 2010 at 7:17 pm

My family was lucky to be on a cruise with Don in 2001. My son noticed his Disney tie and started a conversation since we are big Disney fans. Before the cruise was over Don did a drawing of Goofy for my son and Pooh & Piglet for my daughter. We were amazed how fast he drew these. They are both framed with a picture of Don with my children. Don is really a good example of what Walt Disney wanted in his cast members. My son is now a cast member at Disney World and I know he wants to be a good Disney Ambassador like Don.

ANTHONY from PA on March 18th, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Don is amazing I would love see Don play name that animator, if you show him a clip to name the animator. If he is gonna draw I would to see him draw any villain of his choosing.

Don keep up the great work !!!

brad on March 18th, 2010 at 7:43 pm

‘Ducky’ is a really great guy. I got to meet him many times when I was crew on the Magic, and visited him at his office in Celebration. It was amazing to be in his ‘space’, as well as small paintings that would soon become gigantic billboards.

I also treasure the art that he has given me. Everyone who goes to WDW / DCL sees his art, but very few know who he is. Great to see him get some public recognition.

Michael on March 18th, 2010 at 8:09 pm

He makes it look so easy. I just need to practice more to make it so effortless.

Beth from IA on March 18th, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Well, you’ve started off with one of my daughters’ favorite characters! The other daughter would like to see Marie from Aristocats!

Laura from SK on March 18th, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I would love to see Dopey!

Karen from MA on March 18th, 2010 at 9:23 pm

I’d love to see Don draw Oswald. I really enjoyed this segment & am in awe of his talent.

Arlene on March 18th, 2010 at 10:17 pm

My daughter and I would like to see Pluto

Janet from FL on March 19th, 2010 at 7:00 am

It is truly amazing to watch a master at work. Thanks for the opportunity. I attended a drawing class at Disney Quest (WDW) years ago and we were shown how to draw Goofy, step by step. I do not have an artistic bone in my body and, well, my Goofy looked “goofy!” Don makes drawing look easy and effortless, and it is not so.

THERESA from DE on March 19th, 2010 at 10:02 am

We love to watch Don!! We have been in several of his classes and lectures on the cruise ship. We are always amazed! He is a TRUE Legend and what Disney is all about. We have some of his drawings from the classes and several of his prints and cherish them. We love you Ducky!!

Darlene from NY on March 19th, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Don is a wonderful man with a great life story!!!! We were fortunate to sail with him on our 15 nt Panama Canal cruise. We attended every lecture and every class. It is so much fun to hear him tell his stories and watch him create his characters! My pick would be “Angry Donald”!!!!! MY husband mentioned angry Donald is his favorite (we collect him!) and Don said he is his favorite as well and that he “always has something going on!” That made us smile!

Roger from TX on March 19th, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I traveled with Ducky on the DCL Transatlantic Cruise to Barcelona in 2007 and found him to be not only extremely talented, but full of stories that he would gladly share with those around him. I have to place meeting Ducky way up there on my Top 10 Disney Moments.

diana from NE on March 21st, 2010 at 1:09 am

We were fortunate to meet Don on several DCL voyages, He is a true ambassador of Disney magic.

Chris on March 23rd, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Back in the day when I used to draw, I would always draw like this..start with like the eyes or something and work from there. But I always thought the “proper” way was to plan it all out with the ovals and guidelines and so forth (something I could never fully get on board with for some reason). It’s cool to see a real Disney artist doing it “my way”. = )

Morgan from FL on March 25th, 2010 at 5:52 pm

That is absolutely amazing! That he can just draw and not really think about it, he’s basically doing some extreme multi-tasking! Personally, I would love to see my favorite princess drawn: Ariel!

Aslin on March 26th, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I want to work for Disneeeeyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thomas on April 10th, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Thanks for sharing that very cool video with us all. It’s like a tutorial! Use the pause button every couple of seconds, and you can follow along, and make a very nice drawing of your own!