Spaceship Earth at Epcot

Extra Time to Dine at Epcot?

posted on March 23rd, 2010 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

Extra Hour at Select Epcot Restaurants
Do you like the idea of an extra hour for dining in the evening at Epcot? Give it a try from March 28 through April 10, and let us know what you think — you can book your “extra hour” table at Coral Reef Restaurant, Garden Grill or Le Cellier Steakhouse. Then get ready to relax and sip a post-prandial cocktail or linger over dessert while the Epcot crowds dwindle.

Share with us what you think about the idea. And we’ll share with you that we recommend the decadent Chocolate Wave (with a little sparkling rosé) if you’re at Coral Reef Restaurant; an extra scoop of all-you-care-to-eat strawberry-rhubarb crisp with cream at Garden Grill or the Chocolate-on-Chocolate Whiskey Cake at Le Cellier. You’ll walk it off on the way to the car.

Filed: Disney Dining, Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Lisa on March 23rd, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I love that idea! And then you can walk over to Jellyrolls to dance dinner off!

Cheryl on March 23rd, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I think it is a wonderful idea and perfect for couples who enjoy dinning later in the evening. Good luck with your beta test. Keep us posted

Brian from PA on March 23rd, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Great idea! we have trips planned in Sep 2010 and Dec 2010 if you would like to give it another go ’round :)

Taylor on March 23rd, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I love this idea. It always seems such a shame that the great World Showcase restaurants have to close when IllumiNations begins. Now people can watch IllumiNations then eat dinner afterwards.

David on March 23rd, 2010 at 1:53 pm

This would be a great addition to the Food & Wine fest! I hope you get a good response!!

erin on March 23rd, 2010 at 1:54 pm

i love this!

jackie on March 23rd, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Fantastic idea! I hope it exapnds in the future. My absolute favorite time in EPCOT is about 45 minutes or so after Illuminations, strolling through World Showcase once most of the guests have left. I’d love to have a relaxing dinner during that time, too.

Renee on March 23rd, 2010 at 2:00 pm

This is awesome!! I was just there on the 13th and we ate at the coral reef restaurant. I am going back in May. Since I live only 1 hour away maybe I can convince my husband to take me out on a date for dinner so we can try it out!! :)

Matthew on March 23rd, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Its a GREAT idea! I find our favorite spots are often booked far in advance, so the extra time for those of us who like dining later would be most welcome!

Michael on March 23rd, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I think this is a great idea! I never understood why they did not do this.

Julia from MA on March 23rd, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Yes, yes, and yes! Epcot at night after most of the crowds has left is magical :)

Kevin on March 23rd, 2010 at 2:07 pm

This sounds inviting. A quiet, intimate dinner as the park closes. I wish I was heading to WDW to experience it firsthand.

Josh on March 23rd, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I think that more dining times is nothing but a great idea!

Lori on March 23rd, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I wish you’d do this at all the parks! My in-laws and I nearly went hungry one night after park closing because our hotel restaurants and DownTown Disney shut down just before we were ready to eat.

Besides, after closing is the best time to be at the parks. The rides are fun, but the near empty park is what’s the most magical to us!

Evan on March 23rd, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Perfect idea! Just keep EPCOT open longer with it! 9PM is WAY to early to close, especially in Disney!

Christi from TX on March 23rd, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Awesome idea!

Kaitlyn on March 23rd, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I love this idea!!! Definitely plan on trying it with my family :)

Linda on March 23rd, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I think it’s a great idea, as long as I can still catch a WDW resort transportation bus, or the monorail to Magic Kingdom, afterwards! Otherwise I’m in trouble!

Anonymous on March 23rd, 2010 at 3:40 pm

This is such a GREAT idea! There are so many amazing places to dine in EPCOT, but there is also many fun things to do it’s hard to take the time to sit down and dine! What a perfect way to accomplish both!

Nicole from CT on March 23rd, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I’ve done it before where you get the last reservation near the back of the park. When you’re done and walking out it’s like you have the whole place to yourself. It’s very magical.

Kim from UT on March 23rd, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Love this idea! My husband and I would definitely take advantage of it. I encourage you to expand the dates for our May and October trips!

scott on March 23rd, 2010 at 4:27 pm

That would be great, especially for those that can score the coveted spot at Le Cellier!

Elizabeth on March 23rd, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Excellent idea!

Charles on March 23rd, 2010 at 5:23 pm

WONDERFUL idea.

Now, if this could be extended to EVERY theme park

AND

If the hours of ALL of the theme parks could be extended…

L on March 23rd, 2010 at 6:59 pm

we love this idea!

LISA from MA on March 23rd, 2010 at 7:31 pm

What a “wicked awesome” idea! Why didn’t I think of it! I usually say to my husband on our many trips to WDW, “I wonder why Disney hasn’t thought of doing it this way?!” and sure enough a few months later when we go back things have been changed!? It’s like there’s a “little mouse” following me around and listening to our comments! Too Funny! It’s a Supercalifragelisticexpealidocious idea! :)

T on March 23rd, 2010 at 7:53 pm

This is great, all the restaurants are so full during the fireworks. Then like someone said before, there is nothing open afterwards. This would be a fantastic option. Sit down and enjoy. Catch a bus after the crowds are gone.

Dale from MD on March 23rd, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Just keep the whole park open until 10:00!

Amy from RI on March 23rd, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I love the idea of extended dining hours. How about adding on a few more of the restaurants from the world showcase

Betsy from WI on March 23rd, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I love this idea. Epcot is such a large park, and if you only have one day to do it all…to see everything, get dinner and make the fireworks can be a large task! This will be great, especially since we tend to like to dine later anyway. Keep up the great work!

Liza from GA on March 23rd, 2010 at 9:54 pm

This is an excellent idea! The last time we ate at Le Cellier, they were behind two hours so our 7:30 reservation turned into a 9:30 reservation and when we were through with dinner, Epcot was closed and the park was empty. It was the best! We got some great pictures and it was so peaceful. We really enjoyed it. And as far as the Chocolate on Chocolate Whiskey cake goes; GET IT!! You will not be sorry. YUMMY!!!

Donna on March 23rd, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Great idea! We hope you expand the dates–we’re planning a December trip

Antoinette from MA on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I think it’s a great idea. I’m going in May I’ll have to try it. What a great way to avoid the crowds leaving the park. It also eliminates the long lines for the buses.

Todd on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:07 pm

We are going to try this out on Monday March 29. We have reservations at Coral Reef around 9PM and FW closes @ 7 and WS @ 9. We are staying at an Epcot resort so hopefully we can exit at the International Gateway after dinner.

Tony from IL on March 24th, 2010 at 1:10 am

I love the idea of additional time to dine at Epcot. However I really think the park hours should extend to at least 10 pm during the summer season.

John from IL on March 24th, 2010 at 8:17 am

Great idea! Won’t be able to participate during our upcoming trip (unless it’s extended by a couple weeks) but would love to be able to do this in the future.

erica from IN on March 24th, 2010 at 8:28 am

I wish I was going during those dates as I would definitely take advantage of the program. How awesome to be able to dine then have an “abandoned” park to take in as you stroll towards the exit. I hope the program becomes permanent.

Karen Francis on March 24th, 2010 at 10:42 am

Fantastic idea. I hope it works, and it expands to all the restaurants in World Showcase

Elizabeth on March 24th, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I think this is a great idea, espec. for Le Cellier, which is so hard to get a reservation at anyway. Hopefully this will continue for the free dining promotion (assuming it will come back), and include more restaurants.

Kathleen from FL on March 24th, 2010 at 12:44 pm

neat idea…..we will have to give it a try when we are up there next week.

Jillian from NY on March 24th, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I agree with everyone else – I think it is a FABULOUS idea!! I’d personally love to see hours expanded at EPCOT World Showcase across the board, for this very same reason. I hope that it’ll be a successful pilot (wish I could partake personally, but alas, I’m trapped in NY), and you’ll keep it around for some time to come!!

Maria on March 24th, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Tremendous idea. I’ve always felt more hours were needed. Please extend to end of July so I can take advantage!

kim from WA on March 24th, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Absolutely, I’ve always wished to stay much later.

Bradford on March 24th, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Fantastic Idea we wont be there until Dec but we love the idea!!!

Scott on March 24th, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Too bad this spans the spring blackout period for FL Resident Seasonal Passholders… :(

Rachal on March 24th, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Brilliant!! Hope it works out and becomes a regular thing. We won’t be there to try it out, but it’s something we would definitely look forward to on our next trip!

Carrie from DE on March 24th, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I think it’s a wonderful idea!

Bridget on March 24th, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Anything that keeps parks open a little longer in any way is a huge plus! I adore the parks at night!

Efren from TX on March 24th, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Sounds great but I won’t be coming over until May 8th, would love the extra hour to relax, enjoy and savor the ambiance.

Mandi from NY on March 24th, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Great idea, I hope you’ll consider doing this for the Food & Wine this year too!!