Disneyland Monorail

Extra Time to Dine at Epcot?

posted on March 23rd, 2010 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

Extra Hour at Select Epcot Restaurants
Do you like the idea of an extra hour for dining in the evening at Epcot? Give it a try from March 28 through April 10, and let us know what you think — you can book your “extra hour” table at Coral Reef Restaurant, Garden Grill or Le Cellier Steakhouse. Then get ready to relax and sip a post-prandial cocktail or linger over dessert while the Epcot crowds dwindle.

Share with us what you think about the idea. And we’ll share with you that we recommend the decadent Chocolate Wave (with a little sparkling rosé) if you’re at Coral Reef Restaurant; an extra scoop of all-you-care-to-eat strawberry-rhubarb crisp with cream at Garden Grill or the Chocolate-on-Chocolate Whiskey Cake at Le Cellier. You’ll walk it off on the way to the car.

Filed: Disney Dining, Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Jessica from FL on March 24th, 2010 at 1:18 pm

This is FANTASTIC news! I hope you keep this!

Alan from FL on March 24th, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Love the idea! I hope it becomes permanent!!!! It is hard enough to get into these places during regular hours. I think this will lighten the load a little!

Kathryn from WI on March 24th, 2010 at 1:21 pm

This is a great idea. We are going to be there just after the testing, but we would certainly have taken advantage of the extra hour if our trip was a few days earlier.

barbara from FL on March 24th, 2010 at 1:24 pm

IT WILL BE SO NICE TO GO AFTER WORK FOR A LAZY DINNER IN A GOURGEOUS PLACE.

Catherine on March 24th, 2010 at 1:28 pm

What a GREAT idea! This would be a nice relaxing way to end your evening at Epcot.

David from IL on March 24th, 2010 at 1:30 pm

While I won’t be at Epcot during this time period to enjoy the extra hour, it’s a great service offering for several reasons:
1. More seatings are available at Le Cellier where it takes months ahead to book time in this wonderful location.
2. Guests who visit Epcot for more than just dining and shopping won’t have to take time out of their attraction/entertainment schedule for dinner if they can dine later in the evening.
3. Overall and should enough restaurants be added to this service, exiting Epcot should be a smoother experience if not more “staggered,” by offsetting the departures of hundreds of Guests (who might be staggering themselves).

Nice move. Hope the test goes well and generates not only positive Guest feedback, but increased revenue too. :)

Brandon on March 24th, 2010 at 1:32 pm

This is a great idea. Nice way to relax prior to taking the bus/boat ride back to ones resort. Hope it becomes a all year round perk for Epcot fans.

Lisa from NY on March 24th, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Great Idea, I always thought Epcot Dining shut down way too early.

Barbara on March 24th, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I think it would be just wonderful to have the extra time for dining at EPCOT. I also love the way EPCOT looks at night it really is magical. It would be so relaxing not to rush thru dinner and just relax. Isn’t that what vacations are for. Hope they decide to make it a full time idea.

K from MI on March 24th, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Fantastic idea, I hope if gets extended into the summer!

John on March 24th, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Can you extend that too April 21-28????

Samantha from OH on March 24th, 2010 at 3:01 pm

OMG! I love this idea, please have it when we go November.

SANDra from MO on March 24th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Sounds like an excellent idea. We are night owls, prefer to eat late while the rest of the crowd packs on to the busses then enjoy a quite trip back to the room.
I think this will be especially handy durning high volumes when reservations are difficult to get and durning off season it can be helpful for those of us who don’t like the previous 6 pm or 7 pm latest slots.

Laura on March 24th, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Fantastic idea!

Kimberly on March 24th, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I like this idea, but I wish it would include more restaurants around the world showcase.

Sharon on March 24th, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Wonderful idea. Just wish the trial period would last until the END of April since I’ll be there in later April and could try it out. I think it sounds GREAT!!!

Lori from GA on March 24th, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Excellent idea! I hope you get a great response and decide to continue with the program, as we just returned home from WDW, after enjoying lots of great Epcot restaurants!

Beverly from NJ on March 24th, 2010 at 3:52 pm

This is a wonderful idea- we’re going in May and October– I hope Disney will continue with the later dining.

Cliff on March 24th, 2010 at 3:59 pm

This idea is a keeper. Why not try it in other Parks,too.

Betty from NY on March 24th, 2010 at 4:02 pm

We are coming the first week of May, we couldn’t get a reservation at LeCellier for lunch or dinner so an extra hour at night would be great!

Danny from OH on March 24th, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I think this is a wonderful idea. I hope it sticks around for the F&W

Kenneth from GA on March 24th, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Super idea. It will make it easier to get a reservation at our favorite restaurants.

Paul on March 24th, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Outstanding idea! I hope that it is extended and includes more EPCOT restaurants and food kiosks during the Food & Wine Festival.

Gregory on March 24th, 2010 at 6:55 pm

After almost always being unable to get reservations when I need them, even booking weeks in advance, this is the best idea I have ever heard! Magical! Now I can only blame it on MURPHY!

Anny on March 24th, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Best idea ever!!!!! I love EPCOT :D

Linda on March 24th, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I love the idea of having a late dessert in Epcot! I won’t be there in time to participate in the trial run but do hope you make it a regular option!

sue on March 24th, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I love this idea – we are going in September and an extra hour of magic is always great!

Beth on March 24th, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I absolutely LOVE this idea – whoever thought of this one deserves a raise! Hopefully it becomes part of the regular schedule.

Rachael from AZ on March 24th, 2010 at 8:59 pm

On our last visit during F&W in Oct 09, we had late readies, coming from the west coast, eating at 7:30pm is still early for us. We quickly found out, though, if we didn’t we at the park before leaving, upon returning using the transportation system, nothing else was available. This year we’re renting a car and forgoing the Deluxe Dining Plan in exchange for grocery shopping and our DVC kitchen with a nice dinner out each evening.

Nicole from MN on March 24th, 2010 at 11:18 pm

I love this idea. I hope it will be expanded to having some sit-down restaurants open during Extra Magic Hours in the future.

Audrey on March 25th, 2010 at 1:56 am

I love the idea. No matter how much time we have to play in Walt Disney World, we run out of time before we run out of things we want to do. So to have that extra hour will be fantastic!

Christopher from MA on March 25th, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I love the idea … Dissapointed that we are going to miss it as we will not be there till the 17th of April

Chastity from TX on March 25th, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I love the idea!!!!

George on March 26th, 2010 at 11:40 am

This is an excellent idea! I hope this comes into full effect for my trip in July.

Diana from NY on March 29th, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Is this for walk-ins only, or will ADRs be available? I like the idea of a time set aside for walk-ins, because the dining plan, in addition to lessening the options for diners across WDW property, has made it impossible to enjoy a spur of the moment meal in Epcot, or any table service restaurant in WDW, for that matter.

Maureen on March 30th, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Sounds like a fantastic idea. Can’t wait to test it ou myself !!

Monica on March 31st, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Love this idea. We had the last reservation of the night at Le Cellier when we visited in Feb. It was awesome, the restaurant was nice and quiet and emptying out while we ate peacefully. We even had the kids along (DS 9.5, DS 5.5, DD 9months).We also ate late at Coral Reef and it was great to relax and watch the fish while the restaurant cleared out. We would definitely eat late again.

Clinton on April 1st, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I think it’s a much needed idea. I’ve been told that for the five nights my wife and I will be at Disney at the end of April there is not a single table for 2 available for an ADR for any night at Le Cellier. It would be an added benefit to resort guests and help those of us who like a later (and less crowded) dinner. I just hope you make the “experiment” permanent before we arrive.

Thomas on April 4th, 2010 at 1:53 am

Sounds like a great idea. We always wind up lingering, just wandering through the shops, on the way out, basically trying to wait for the crowds to die down, instead of rushing to the bus stop only to stand in line for an hour, then get stuck trying to stand on a bus with two kids. If we could spend that time having supper, why not? It would leave us more time to spend in the park, and we wouldn’t just be burning off that hour waiting for the crowds to disperse.