Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion Ghost at Piano Scene

First Look: Cantina de San Angel Expansion at Epcot

posted on March 29th, 2010 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

Cantina de San Angel Expansion at Epcot

Earlier today, Thomas shared a first look at an amazing pizzeria opening at Epcot Italy Pavilion. And now I’ve got a sneak peek of what you can expect to see when the construction wall comes down at the Mexico Pavilion later this year. If you’ve visited Epcot recently, you know the Cantina de San Angel restaurant is expanding. This artist rendering gives you a good idea of what seating looks like at the restaurant when work is completed. There will be 400 seats – both al fresco and air-conditioned seating for lunch and a coveted spot for dinner and viewing IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth.

And, if you’re curious about the menu, I shared some highlights earlier this month. Please let us know what you think of the look.

Filed: Disney Dining, Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Evan on March 29th, 2010 at 10:07 am

Looks a lot like the old one. I approve.

David from TN on March 29th, 2010 at 10:07 am

Yummy – can’t wait!

Kevin from WI on March 29th, 2010 at 10:09 am

I am glad to see this is not two stories. I heard rumors that it was. I think that would have blocked the view of the rest of the pavilion, from across the lagoon.

Bill on March 29th, 2010 at 10:11 am

Looks like the building footprint is much larger, or is that just an illusion?

Julian on March 29th, 2010 at 10:14 am

Wow!!!! Finally some indoor seating there! I never liked eating there during the summer because of the humidity by the lake and the general Florida summer heat.

Jeff from NJ on March 29th, 2010 at 10:31 am

This looks fantastic! I can’t wait to check it out.

Kristian on March 29th, 2010 at 10:54 am

Looks great, can’t wait to see more pictures as you get them! I’m really excited about this and the new pizzeria, any expansion to World Showcase is good in my books!

JENNIFER from NJ on March 29th, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Mexico is my favorite place to visit in Epcot.. I use to ba a cast member years ago.. My whole kitchen in all Epcot Mexico.. I can not find the Three Cabeleros anywhere.. Im hoping you will have them in the parks soon..

Charlie from SC on March 29th, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Looks great! I’m glad to see that it is remaining one level to minimizing any veiw obstruction. Can’t wait to try it out!

Luis from TX on March 29th, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Looking forward to eating there on our upcoming trip this October :)

Carrie on March 29th, 2010 at 4:31 pm

The real question is the old restaurant inside the pavillion staying?

Caroline on March 29th, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Looks great! Can’t wait to visit to eat there again!

Therese from FL on March 29th, 2010 at 4:43 pm

While in Mexico don’t forget to stop by and see Pepe and the rest of the great servers at the new Tequila Bar. They are the friendliest staff at EPCOT!! They have great food and special yummy kid smoothies.

Amanda from FL on March 29th, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Great! I hope when it reopens it has some vegetarian offerings. Even something simple like nachos with beans instead of beef – they never offered that previously. Please give us veggie lovers some options!

Dan from MI on March 30th, 2010 at 11:54 am

Looks great. Being raised in Mexico, I hope they offer a more traditional Mexican menu than they do currently. Some real tacos – al carbon, al pastor; tamales, enchiladas. Even some traditional drinks like Horchata, Agua de Tamarindo,…

Guinn on March 30th, 2010 at 12:11 pm

This will be great! EPCOT is our favorite park and any improvements and/or additions to EPCOT are always welcome. I hope it offers a better food selection than the old outdoor venue. We’ll be there in June to see the progress!

Heather from NJ on March 30th, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Jennifer, the three cabeleros do greetings outside the Mexico Pavillion during the day!

Melanie from NY on March 30th, 2010 at 12:25 pm

do we know when construction begins? we have reservations for dinner in August..thanks

Melanie from NY on March 30th, 2010 at 12:44 pm

oops..never mind..we have reservations at the San Angel Inn, not the cantina…

Byron on March 30th, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Yep, another reason to visit Epcot. Like the looks of it!

Kelly on March 30th, 2010 at 12:57 pm

One of our favorite places to eat! The only downside was always the limited seating… this will definitely take care of that! Can’t wait!

Catherine on March 30th, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Love the Cantina. I missed eating their during my last visit in January. I will be happy when it re-opens. Do you know when it will re-open? I am planning another trip this fall.

Nancy on March 31st, 2010 at 11:15 pm

it looks so nice…i cant wait to get back there to eat at my favorite Mexican restaurant :-)

Connie on April 1st, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Thank goodness. I love this restaurant, however, it was VERY difficult to get in to the dining room in a wheelchair and with a service animal. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

kelly on April 5th, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Looks like there should be more benches out there. Or just have the building built with seating.

Also looks so nice that the tacos might come back. They must have left in a huff when they could no longer stand the old place and nobody would build them a new home.

Where did the tacos go, anyway?