Paradise Pier at Disney California Adventure Park

First Look: Pizzeria at the Italy Pavilion at Epcot

posted on March 29th, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Pizzeria at Epcot’s Italy Pavilion

As a pizza lover, I raved when we announced plans for an authentic pizzeria at the Italy Pavilion at Epcot but now I’m really craving a first slice after seeing what’s coming later this year. This is your first official peek at what the new 300-seat restaurant will likely look like. And yes, that’s outside dining and vaulted-ceilings.

We’re still waiting for word on an official name but thought you’d like to see this artist rendering first on The Disney Parks Blog.

Filed: Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Kristian on March 29th, 2010 at 3:48 am

Wow, this looks really nice. I’m just trying to picture where this will be in the pavillion, is it at the back of the pavillion (behind the fountain)?

First picture looks really promising, I love pizza!

John from PA on March 29th, 2010 at 9:10 am

When does it open!

Thomas Smith on March 29th, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Hi John…no specific date yet but it’s expected to open in fall 2010.

cliff from PA on March 29th, 2010 at 9:17 am

To me, the rendering doesn’t seem to fit the space.

The the width of the area that I saw 4 weeks ago is much smaller than what is shown and where is the outside seating going to be? Are they completely rebuilding the entire plaza?

Kristian on March 29th, 2010 at 9:39 am

If you look closely at the picture, you can see the word ‘Osteria’. Is this a clue to the name of the pizzeria? It translates to tavern / restaurant in Italian.

Allison on March 29th, 2010 at 9:42 am

ahhh yayyy! i can’t wait to eat here while i am on the disney college program! :) my family and myself always eat at the italy pavilion when we vacation every year down in disney..i am soo excited to see a pizzeria coming to it! :)

matt from AL on March 29th, 2010 at 9:51 am

This is exciting! I can’t wait to enjoy some pizza.

Dan from PA on March 29th, 2010 at 10:05 am

I’m sure the pizzeria will be a delight and well designed. I do have to wonder how “authentic” is defined however. I used to live in Italy and from Naples to Venice, the pizza I had there has NEVER been matched in the USA. And I’ve had pizza in the USA from San Francisco to New York.

Stephanie from TX on March 29th, 2010 at 10:11 am

I can smell the pizza already :]

Christopher on March 29th, 2010 at 10:17 am

Looks good. The back of the Italy pavilion always seemed so empty with just the 12ft walls. This will be a nice addition both in terms of dinning and aesthetics.

Giovanni on March 29th, 2010 at 11:01 am

Dan, I was born and raised in Italy and, like you, I have never found an authentic Italian pizza in the USA (and I have been here 20 years!!). However, I went to the Neaples pizzeria in Downtown Disney in California (managed by the same people who will run EPCOT’s pizzzeria) and I must tell you that their pizza is the real thing: the crust and the taste are the same you’d find in Italy, trust me! I only wish they would add the option of using buffalo mozzarella: that would make it perfect!!! I live in Florida, but went back to the pizzeria in LA twice already and I will definitely be a patron of their place in EPCOT!

Kathleen from MD on March 29th, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Is this taking over the resturant that was there before IL something?

Thomas Smith on March 29th, 2010 at 6:18 pm

The new pizzeria is an additional restaurant location at the Italy pavilion, complementing the existing Tutto Italia Ristorante.

Ashley on March 29th, 2010 at 12:21 pm

FINALLY!!!!!! A pizza place in DISNEY!!!! We are so excited!!
I hope you guys decide to put some unique topping options on your menu! We will definatly be coming to the Pizza spot in the future :)

JoAnn on March 29th, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Can’t wait to try it out on our next trip! No doubt it will be as delicious as all the other food in the park.

Florian on March 29th, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Looks like a french metro station ;-)
Hope the authentic pizza is better than the other one’s in the park ;-)

Charlie from SC on March 29th, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I think the picture looks great, although like some have already noted, I am finding it hard to picture it in relation to the rest of the pavillion – not sure of the ‘fit’.

I think adding a pizzeria is a great idea. I hope, though, that soon they will add some sort of attaction (360 movie, walk-thru or ride). Italy has always held a fascination for me and I’d love to have a more immersive experience at the pavilion.

Rachael on March 29th, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I think it was Alfredo’s. I know that a lot of people didn’t bother trying Alfredo’s because it was pricey.

Tameisha on March 29th, 2010 at 12:42 pm

So excited about this cant wait until Our visit.

Meredith from MI on March 29th, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Please tell me they aren’t going to do away with the other, sit-down restaurant in Italy, I love that place!

Thomas Smith on March 29th, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Me too. Tutto Italia will remain open.

scott from FL on March 29th, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I,d enjoy watching a hand tossed pizza dough show where they toss it in the air, spin it, flip it, you know what I mean! Not sure how they are going to fit the picture I see into the space that is there but this is Disney, they can make magic!

Ronald from VA on March 29th, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Take is from someone who loves Disney World, and whose wife and grandaughters would live on pizza if they could….This looks fantastic!!!

Rochelle on March 29th, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Is there an expected opening date? We have a visit to WDW this year … hubby & me 25th anniversary; adult kids’ first visit.

Paul on March 29th, 2010 at 1:52 pm

@Kathleeen, Rachel, & Meredith: The current table-service restaurant in Italy (the one that replaced Alfredo’s) is “Tutto Italia”.

Add me to the list of those trying to figure out where the new pizzeria will fit in the pavilion. Is that yellow building supposed to be “behind” Tutto Italia? I’m very confused…

John on March 29th, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I hope this is in addition to the restaurant that is already there. I prefer a sit down mean to a pizza.

Marlene on March 29th, 2010 at 1:55 pm

If the food at the Pizzeria is only half a good at the food we had dining in Italy on our recent visit it will be outstanding.

amy from NH on March 29th, 2010 at 2:37 pm

i totally agree charlie, i love the asthetics of italy, but there is nothing do do there! even less to see now that the living statues are gone :(
nice to have something besides stores – and it always looked so unfinished. excited to visit on our next trip!

Lori from NH on March 29th, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Oh Disney, please, please don’t do this! Bring back Alfredo’s! It was, hand’s down, the best restaurant in Epcot.

Eileen on March 29th, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Pizza sounds great as long as it is not replacing the Italian Restaurant that is there.

James from FL on March 29th, 2010 at 3:35 pm

It will be in addition to the Tutto Italia in the pavilion. They will be expanding the pavilion in order to accomodate the pizzeria. They are even importing water that resembles the composition of the water in Naples in order to make the dough authentic. The restaurant is based on a restaurant in NYC called Naples 45.

Caroline on March 29th, 2010 at 4:36 pm

When will they release the menu?

Thomas Smith on March 29th, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Checking…we’ll certainly post it on the blog when it’s available.

LISA from MA on March 29th, 2010 at 6:52 pm

This sounds like a nice addition to the Italian themed food of the Showcase. Will it be a quick-service dining option much like Cantina in Mexico?

Kymberli on March 29th, 2010 at 7:57 pm

This looks very nice! Is it going to be a full service restaurant?

Pastor Mark from IN on March 29th, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Wonderful idea …Molto Bene!

carol on March 29th, 2010 at 9:08 pm

WILL IT BE AS GOOD AS CHICAGO PIZZA????

Dimi on March 29th, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Looking forward to eating here. We were crushed when Alfredo’s went away. Our daughter grew up eating there every visit (up to 5 times a year) and to this day says that was her favorite restaurant. Went to EPCOT a couple of weeks ago, but didn’t eat in Italy. Headed back in May, but not sure when this is to open. Thanks for sharing!

Vikki on March 29th, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I think you should name it… “Fetta Di Paradiso” Slice of Heaven

Danielle from MA on March 29th, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Fall of 2010? Not in time for our visit in April? Darn, we’ll just have to return in the fall! Can’t wait.

gloria from FL on March 30th, 2010 at 10:49 am

WE ARE SO LOOKING FORWARD TO EATING THERE..I MOVED FROM NEW ENGLAND HAVING THE BEST PIZZA DOWN FEDERAL HILL..O SO GOOD..TRIED 20 PIZZA PLACES HERE,,NEVER WENT BACK..LOOKING FOR A NAME…HOW ABOUT ….ITALYSWEND…WALT DISNEY WOULD LOVE THAT NAME. : )

SANDra from MO on March 30th, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Will this be a Quick Service or Table Service resteraunt?

Thomas Smith on March 30th, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Table…the restaurant will serve authentic pizza from three wood-burning ovens, genuine Italian dishes (not offered at Tutto Italia), and a special kids menu.

Julia from OK on March 30th, 2010 at 12:29 pm

This sounds great. We’ll be there in November, so I hope it’s open by then. Can’t wait!

Denise from WI on March 31st, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Hope you’ll have a Vegie pizza of some kind. We’ll be stop there early 2011.

melinda from KY on April 3rd, 2010 at 11:38 am

This looks great! When will the menu be released and hope it will be open for our October trip.

Thomas on April 4th, 2010 at 1:45 am

Sadly, it looks like we’ll miss the new pizzeria on our next visit, since it isn’t supposed to open until the fall, and we’ll be there in August. I guess that is as good a reason as any to go back in 2011!

Amanda from NC on April 10th, 2010 at 8:15 am

The kids and I have been discussing where to make our meal reservation for New Year’s Eve. Looks like this will be the place! Can’t wait.