Yakitori House Restaurant at Epcot

Mickey’s Magical Macho Moms?

posted on March 4th, 2010 by Laura Spencer, Social Media Manager, Walt Disney World Resort

New Dads on the Walt Disney World Moms Panel (Bret Caldwell and Doug Ingersoll Not Pictured)
Even after three years and quite possibly because of the title, most folks think that you have to be a female and be a mother to be a member of the Walt Disney World Moms Panel. “Mom” is such a universal term for someone who nurtures, organizes and plans, that it seemed the perfect name for a site for the best Walt Disney World advice coming from the best Walt Disney World advisors. But to be considered for the Panel you don’t need to be a parent or even female. You only need to have a vast knowledge of Walt Disney World and a passion to share that knowledge.

That being said, the Panel is positively brimming with testosterone this year with 8 men who consider themselves “Disney Moms.”

Here are some thoughts from the men who proudly wear the pink!

BRET CALDWELL, IL
“I was honored and ‘tickled pink’ to be selected for the Moms Panel. Being the lone and the first Dad just added a touch of humor to the experience. On the Panel, I think ‘Mom’ is simply an adjective to describe the fact that we are all caring, passionate and experienced people who want to help others have a great vacation. I think it perfectly describes the spirit of the group. Unless they want to call it the ‘Expert-Passionate-Empathetic-Dedicated-Articulate-Diverse-Disney-Loving Panel,’ I think Walt Disney World Moms Panel is the best fitting name for us.”

DOUG INGERSOLL, IN
“Who knew that being a Dad on a panel of Moms would be such a life changer? So little of what I have experienced has matched what I expected and so many of my assumptions have been turned on their heads.

I thought I would get a lot of guy oriented questions, but really I have not. It seems that the questions a parent asks are pretty universal, regardless of home town, age, or gender. Where should we go? What should we eat? How can I make this the most special vacation for my family? Parents the world over anticipate a Walt Disney World vacation as a landmark moment for their family and want to ensure that everything is perfect.”

BERNIE EDWARDS, MD
“At work (NASA) I am known as a ‘Disney Guy’ and people have been coming to me with questions for years. I absolutely love the Disney theme parks and think they are the best vacation spots in the world. I’ve visited Walt Disney World almost every year of my life since I was a little boy. My dad’s family was farmers about two hours north of Walt Disney World.

My wife and I visited Walt Disney World every year before we had children. I’ve watched the parks grow as I’ve grown older. I love bringing people who have never visited before and I love visiting with my children. It’s great to see the magic through my children’s eyes.

When I heard that Walt Disney World created the Moms Panel, I had to apply!”

JOEL KENNEDY, WI
“Some people may look twice when they notice a herd of Dads mixed in with all the Moms. But that’s just it – we’re mixed in. When it comes down to it, our love for Walt Disney World and our families knows no gender bounds.

The moms and dads on the Panel couldn’t have possibly clicked any better. The feeling when we’re with one another – whether it’s at our training trip, on a conference call or interfacing online – is that of a family reunion and we take such comfort in having the family all together.”

TERRY MCKINNEY, SC
“This is a great opportunity for us Dads to represent with our vacation planning skills. There are a number of Dads out there who play a huge part in vacation planning. As a Dad who already enjoyed everything Disney, being selected to the Panel was like icing on the cake!”

JONAS LEHMANN KARP, NY
“I feel right at home on the Moms Panel because like many other Moms, I’m a natural planner, mindful of my family budget and I love helping others out by providing advice and counsel. I think those traits are something both Moms and Dads out there can relate to and appreciate, especially in these uncertain times.

I owe a lot to the awesome and knowledgeable Moms and two Dads who paved the way for the new members of the Walt Disney World Moms Panel. Being one of the dads on the Panel has been an amazing experience.”

CHRIS GILDEA, MA
“I cherish being a part of the Moms Panel for many reasons. First and foremost, I have been teamed with some of the most incredible women in America, who are not only lovely, but are pretty doggone good at planning a magical vacation. In addition, I love being a stereotype-smasher! That is, being a Dad on a ‘Moms’ Panel shows the entire vacation planning world that we Dads have been recognized as having an ever increasing role in planning when, where and how our families enjoy their time together, and what better place to do that but Walt Disney World!”

MARC LORENZO, NY
“I do get asked a lot why I wanted to be a ‘Mom’ and my answer is usually, besides being the coolest gig out there for a Disney fan, being a Mom provides me with the opportunity to help people plan their trips to Walt Disney World. I do not get overly hung up on the title of Mom on the Moms Panel because I know that there are a huge amount of Dads and men out there who love Disney and do the planning for their family’s trips to Walt Disney World. I realize that Moms really do come in all shapes, sizes and even genders! The women on the Moms Panel are all amazing and it is an honor to be counted as a member of the ‘Sea of Pink.’ The best thing is that the Moms Panel is so diverse and everyone brings their unique expertise and knowledge to the table and a beautiful tapestry is formed.”

Filed: Walt Disney World Resort

Diane from CT on March 4th, 2010 at 10:47 am

Lets hear it for the dads! Great article. Not only are they awesome but they bring lots of diversity (and fun!) to our panel. They are truly brothers to us moms!

Allison from GA on March 4th, 2010 at 10:58 am

Let’s hear it for the boys! These guys are amazing! I’m thrilled they are part of the Moms Panel! Its great to have a perspective from a dads point of view. Rock on!

Kaylene from MA on March 4th, 2010 at 11:35 am

Great article about an amazing group of guys! Each one of these Dads is wonderful and they bring such passion and knowledge to the Panel. It’s an honor for me to be able to call them part of my family now.

Kim from UT on March 4th, 2010 at 11:39 am

I’m curious – it says you “don’t need to be a parent” but I have yet to see a non-parent selected for the panel. As a childfree adult who is an annual passholder, DVC member and has visited every Disney park in the world, I’ve applied every year to no avail. I’m glad to see that perhaps it isn’t my non-parent status that is preventing me from being chosen. (But now I guess I have to figure out what ELSE I’m doing wrong!)

If I’m mistaken and there IS a non-parent on the panel, I’d love to know they are!

Erin from NY on March 4th, 2010 at 2:34 pm

The Moms Panel dads are the coolest cats around. Thanks for showing them off.

Kimberly on March 4th, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Hooray to our Moms Panel dads!

While first standing out because of their gender, they most certainly shine with their knowledge of Disney and how to best plan a vacation to our favorite destination.

Thanks for highlighting them, including our first Dad!

Ron from TX on March 4th, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Perhaps the “Moms Panel” should be re-named? Or, maybe they should split it, and have a “Dads Panel” as well. Or, do something like Apple, and just call it the “Disney Parks Genius (or Experts) Panel”. Regardless what they call it, I believe a name change is in order. I know it sounds silly, but as a man, I’m somewhat reluctant to look at their site and answers. I’m not a chauvanist or anything, I’ve taken the advice of plenty of women from many other Disney-related sites, it’s just a psychological thing I guess.

Suzannah from FL on March 4th, 2010 at 6:14 pm

It takes a special kind of dad to be willing and able to serve on a Moms Panel, we’re so glad Disney recognized them! We love our Disney Moms Dads! ;)

Sean from CA on March 4th, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Why can’t it be called the Walt Disney Word Parent’s Panel? That’s fair and it even sounds better.

Jana on March 4th, 2010 at 7:41 pm

They should change the panel to a “parent panel” instead of the mom’s panel. I am excited to hear from these dad’s as well as the mom’s!

John from NJ on March 4th, 2010 at 8:46 pm

As a Disney Dad who everyone says should be on the panel I say WTG to the guys who actually made it.. Keep up our end guys… I pray one day to be numbered among you!!!

Beth on March 4th, 2010 at 8:59 pm

I oculd not ask for a nicer bunch a gentlemen to be called a mom with!

erick on March 4th, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Hey…..I’m from California, and I’d love to be a Mom. How can I help, and what do I have to do to join. I’d love to help others enjoy and discover Walt Disney World. It’s my favorite place on earth.

Neil on March 5th, 2010 at 12:28 am

As a young man (20) who absolutely loves Disney vacations, I’d like to thank the Dads on the Mom panel. You guys sound like the type of dad I want to be when I’m a bit older and have a family. Thanks for your inspiration. I hope that maybe someday I might join your ranks as one of the Dads. Who knows? Maybe with some hard work and a little magic, my dream might come true.

Konrad on March 5th, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Hello, you should create an international Parents panel! So, Macho Moms from around the World could be part of this great idea!

Andi on March 7th, 2010 at 5:55 pm

No matter what you call them, they’re still the best! Congratulations to all 8 dads on the Disney Moms Panel and thanks for helping families all over the world plan magical vacations. Hoop Dee Doo!

Jacqueline from IN on March 8th, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Huh? Mom is a term for a female parent; I have never heard it used as a universal term for someone who nurtures (that word might be parent, although that still implies that you are nurturing a child). No doubt the panel should be diversified, but the name of the panel doesn’t seem at all appropriate.

Marc from NY on March 9th, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I would encourage people to try out to be on the Moms Panel especially if they have a passion for Walt Disney World and a desire to help plan people’s vacations and answer their questions about Walt Disney World. Being a member of the Moms Panel is a Dream come true for me and I would love to see others enjoy this amazing experience as well. Always “Keep Dreaming Big” and one day, who knows, some of your big dreams may just come true!

Amanda on March 10th, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I love our Dads! Passionate about Disney, yes. But even more passionate about their families! :)