Walt Disney and Mickey Statue at Cinderella Castle

Paper May Fold into the Waters of ‘World of Color’

posted on March 19th, 2010 by Valarie Sukovaty, Disneyland Public Relations

Paper and water don’t seem like an ideal match, but throw in animation and it works in a very cool way. One type of art form being considered for “World of Color” is paper animation. Local Glendale, California artist Megan Brain has created 3-dimentional paper sculptures of Disney characters that are turned into models or puppets with computer animation. The result is very fun and very unique when it is projected onto a giant water screen. Heather Hust Rivera will give a more in depth update on “World of Color” next week, but in the mean time, take a look at this video and see for yourself.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

Karen on March 19th, 2010 at 3:34 pm

#1 – Wow! This looks really interesting! I can’t wait til it’s finished and we can see it in person at DCA!!

Thanks for sharing your work with us! I love hearing about the creative process behind things like this!

Steven on March 19th, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Does anybody know the approximate date on when it should debut? im trying to plan a trip around it, but i hope its in late April.

Fred from CA on March 19th, 2010 at 4:35 pm

The anticipation keeps building!

The paper animation is going to look great!

Chris on March 19th, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I’m so excited for this to open! i can’t wait! and the paper animation thing is so cool!

Jennifer on March 19th, 2010 at 5:04 pm

We’ve booked a trip for April, I’m really hoping they will at least be testing this so we can see it!!! If we miss it I will be so disappointed!

Justine from SK on March 19th, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I think that the paper sculpture idea is really cool, but I wish that instead of exaggerating the character’s features, I wish that she would have just drawn the characters exactly as they look in the movie. I get that she is making it her own, but when I go to Disneyland, I don’t want to see anyone else’s interpretation of the Disney characters, I want to see the versions that I saw in the movies.

Diane from CA on March 19th, 2010 at 8:02 pm

How can we find out when it will be ready for us to see it at the park. We are planning a trip soon and really want to see it

Thor from CA on March 19th, 2010 at 8:36 pm

OMG!!! This is so super cool! I can’t wait to see it in person at my favorite Disney Parks!

Yazmin on March 19th, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Justine – If you prefer to see the characters as they appeared in the movie, maybe you should just watch the DVD instead. The great thing about World of Color is that it will bring to life characters in a way we have never seen before.

The art of animation – whether it be paper or computer – all of it should be appreciated. The show will look wonderful with the paper animation.

Mary on March 20th, 2010 at 12:21 am

Mary from Santa Barbara, CA…

Way to cool…..can’t wait to see the show all this hard work all the cast members have put in to this show….you can tell its going to be AMAZING!!!!!

Michael on March 20th, 2010 at 9:16 am

Really love the results the artist was able to achieve. I think it is interesting that the World of Color show is going beyond what you would expect from a Disney show by incorporating different styles. Looks like I need to plan a trip to Disneyland.