Walt Disney World Resort, The Haunted Mansion

Captain EO Returning to Walt Disney World Resort

posted on April 28th, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Captain EO Returning to Walt Disney World

Yes, you read right…the classic 3-D film experience “Captain EO” is coming back to Walt Disney World Resort this summer just months after it reopened to rave reviews at Disneyland park. The 17-minute musical space-fantasy adventure film is now scheduled to begin at Epcot on July 2.

I remember enjoying “Captain EO” during its original run at Epcot from 1986 -1994. But for some of you, it’ll be a new experience. The film features Michael Jackson as “Captain EO” and a crew of Disney-created space characters. During their journey, the group uses the power of dance, light and music to turn a colorless planet into a world of color and happiness.

And there’s more. “Captain EO” will be returning to other Disney Parks locations. It’s scheduled to open at Tokyo Disneyland on June 30 July 1 and Disneyland Paris on June 12. We’ll have more details on the film’s return to Walt Disney World in upcoming weeks but we wanted Disney Parks Blog readers to be among the first to know. Please check back for updates.

Filed: Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Marisa on April 28th, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I have already seen this at the Disneyland resort, but I’m still excited to see it in WDW this summer! 70 Days until I’ll be there(:

Craig from MA on April 28th, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I just wish that we could afford to make a trip there this year. I hope that it remains for at least 18 months so we can see it next year!

Brenda on April 28th, 2010 at 9:44 pm

You just made my day! We will be there for the US Open of Martial Arts and my son will see Captain EO for the first time!!

Thomas Smith on April 29th, 2010 at 10:21 am

Glad to hear, Brenda. Good luck with that tourney.

Kathy on April 28th, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Captain EO, EO, Captain EOOO….now I can’t get the song out of my head!! Can’t wait for July 2nd!

Ana from LA on April 28th, 2010 at 10:17 pm

This is WONDERFUL to hear! But the question for many of us remains: HOW LONG WILL “CAPTAIN EO” BE RUNNING AT EPCOT?

I hope I can see it in January; my 4-year-old daughter LOVES MICHAEL JACKSON!

Thomas Smith on April 29th, 2010 at 10:28 am

Hi Ana. Captain EO will run until at least the end of the year – the final closing date is TBD.

Tim on April 28th, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Will Captain EO use Fastpass?

Devyn on April 29th, 2010 at 1:33 am

AWESOME!!! It gives me incentive to travel to the other Disney theme parks!

John on April 29th, 2010 at 1:59 am

This is GREAT NEWS!! YES!! I will be there July 2nd for the 1st day of shows. I can’t wait, this will be a great tribute to Michael Jackson’s legacy. Will the Captian EO merchandise be available on July 2nd as well? Thanks again!!!

Kristian on April 29th, 2010 at 3:59 am

Thank you thank you thank you!

Kerry from SA on April 29th, 2010 at 6:00 am

Wonderful! I have a round-the-world air ticket for June/July and will be visiting Disney parks in HongKong, Paris and finally Anaheim. As a Michael Jackson fan, I was looking forward to seeing Captain Eo at Disneyland on the big screen in 3D for the first time since the late 80s. Now I don’t have to wait that long. I’ll be able to see it on my visit to the park in Paris! Woooo! Thank you Disney!

mandy on April 29th, 2010 at 8:04 am

Great news! My trip to the US was turned down by my friends, and we planned to go to the Europe instead. I was so sad and now I can watch the film in France! How about showing the film in Hong Kong? I can go to HK every weekend but not US or France.

Carlos from ON on April 29th, 2010 at 8:59 am

Going to have to plan a quick trip to see this one for sure. Will some of the original effects be used or will it be the version Disneyland received I wonder.

Holly on April 29th, 2010 at 9:37 am

OMG!!!!! I have been waiting for this announcement for soooooo long! This was one of my favorite attractions EVER at Disney!!! I was so sad when it left in 1994. Then after MJ’s death, I knew they HAD to bring it back. It was such a classic and I am soooooo happy to know my son will get the chance to see this masterpiece of beautiful music and color. Is this going to be indefinite? I don’t see anything indicating how long it’s going to be there. I hope at least a year, or forever would be fabulous!!!! I can’t wait to see which character my son loves and I still have my fuzzball plush!! And I can’t listen to Another Part of me without thinking of dancing out that theater at the end of Captain EO!!

Michelle on April 29th, 2010 at 9:48 am

Awesome! I Love Captain EO! I hope it will still be there in late September when I come down. Thank you Disney people! :)

Kerry on April 29th, 2010 at 10:55 am

Are there any plans for Honey, I Shrunk the Audience to reopen, or will this be the official, final closing for that attraction?

Thomas Smith on April 29th, 2010 at 11:52 am

Hi Kerry…It’s planned to return at an undetermined date.

Lauren from KY on April 29th, 2010 at 12:19 pm

So thrilled!! I hope I can make it back in time! :)))

Qiana from MD on April 29th, 2010 at 2:25 pm

BOOSTED!!!!!! I called and pitched a fit when it was only released it Anaheim.. headed back this year for my honeymoon in Oct (my 4th trip there in 3 years) and THANK GOD they listened to us. MJ forever– Disney rocks!

Thomas on April 29th, 2010 at 6:42 pm

I saw Captain EO on my senior class trip. By the time I returned to Disney World again (in 2008) it was long gone. It will be great to share this with my kids!

Laura on April 29th, 2010 at 10:24 pm

That seals the deal! I’m planning a trip! I was on the fence about it, but the Sounds Like Summer concert series lineup (the Bon Jovi AND U2 tribute bands on the same weekend! So fun), PLUS this Captain EO announcement means I am definitely planning a trip to Disney for the summer. Thank you for creating a great lineup of events! (Clearly I’m excited, as I’ve used way too many exclamation points…)

robert on April 30th, 2010 at 7:11 am

Excellent….I dont remember ever actually seeing this show so I look forward to this.

Debra from FL on April 30th, 2010 at 10:23 am

I will be there July 2 with my granddaughter!!! Thanks for hearing our requests! :)

Catherine on April 30th, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Are there any “Captain EO” pins? I would love to own one or trade for it.

THANKS!!

Catherine on April 30th, 2010 at 12:32 pm

We are BOOKED for Sept. for our 20th wedding anniversary and our children’s birthdays. Seeing Captain EO will definitely make it a celebration for us! PINS, PINS, PINS!!

Barbara on April 30th, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I’m really glad to see that someone is paying close attention to what Captain EO fans regarding the request to have it return to Walt Disney World!! Since its return to Disneyland, I have seen it approx 7-8 times! I try to see it at least 2 times per visit!
I just sent some EO merchandise to friends in Europe and they were estactic!! They were telling me of the memories they have! I will let them know its returning to Paris!!! Hope they can contain themselves until it return!!! (big smile)

Michelle from IN on April 30th, 2010 at 11:17 pm

We will be there in June. Does this mean we will miss BOTH “Honey” and EO? I am so bummed. Missed EO in ’94 when it was closed. Was looking forward to “Honey” and now hate that I again am missing EO! Just love the 3-D shows!!! Have seen Philharmagic and Muppets. Just love them. Still haven’t seen one at Epcot!

Justin on May 1st, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I just hope that after its run through each of the Disney parks around the world, that Disney releases Captain EO on dvd/blu-ray. Would love to watch it in High Def….would be AWESOME!!! I’ll be catchin’ it at Epcot in August. So Excited about that!!!!!

Justin on May 1st, 2010 at 11:25 pm

I heard that not all the in-theater effects returned when Captain EO re-opened at Disneyland. Will this also be true for Captain EO’s return to Epcot?

Christy from PA on May 3rd, 2010 at 10:12 am

I noticed a comment indicating that the newly-released Captain EO show in Anaheim was slightly different than original show when it first debuted. Has anything changed?

Taking my son for the first time in June (so we’ll be missing EO), but am planning a 2nd trip with the girlfriends just for this special event!! Thanks Disney; I love ya!

PINA on May 3rd, 2010 at 10:55 am

I AM SO HAPPY THAT CAPTAIN EO IS RETURNING. I was one of the people that signed the petetion for it’s return and want to thank Disney for listening. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I will make a special trip just to see Michael in Captain EO.

Loving and Missing Michael Always!
Pina

PINA on May 3rd, 2010 at 10:57 am

Michael was like his Disney character Captain EO, seeking to heal all who are in pain and in need of love. Through his words, through his actions, through his music, his dance, and through his smile, he shot out beams of love from his heart to ours and we became JUST ANOTHER PART OF HIM – Part of his love, part of his joy, part of his innocence, part of his pain, part of his crusade to heal the world. For Michael Sang Out to the World – YOU’RE JUST ANOTHER PART OF ME.

Michael, some of us didn’t realize it when you were alive, but we realize it now. You are the best in all of us and will always remain in our hearts. Thank you for shooting your beautiful beams of love into the world and into my heart. I love you MORE!

Anthony from FL on May 3rd, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Hey Thomas, so what kind of merchandise will there be to go along with this? I really would love to have it on DVD. I doesn’t have to be 3D, a plain version would be great. It could have the behind the scenes with Whoopi Goldberg as an extra and also what went into bringing it back to the parks.

Jenny from FL on May 3rd, 2010 at 1:36 pm

WOOOHOOOO! My mother told me about this before I read it here, so this is just a beautiful conformation for me. I was in LOVE with this show. I’m from Orlando, so my entire childhood revolves around the old Disney from the 80s and 90s.

Question: because this show is coming back out… does that mean the stuffed animals of the characters will be available again?! I never got to buy one of the Fuzzball? ones. (I belive that was the name of the little rat/butterfly/hamster character.) I would cry with spectacular happiness if I knew those were available again!

Btw. I’m sure Michael would be glad to know Disney has once again decided to use his magical musical abilities to bring joy and wonder back into the hearts of children. <3

Colton on May 3rd, 2010 at 6:26 pm

We are visiting Disney World later this year and are very excited for this attraction. Although we also love Honey I Shrunk the Audience… Why not have both? Some showings of Captain EO and others of Honey I Shrunk the Audience? Thank you!

Vanessa on May 3rd, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Any possibility of a “soft opening?” I’m leaving on July 1!!! :o( I can’t believe I could be so close and miss it by one day! That makes me sad!

Sylvia on May 4th, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Just saw Captain EO on Sunday, May 2nd at Disneyland. Was so nice to see it again, it had always been one of my favorite “things to do” when visiting the park. Since I am a AP I can go back again and again to get my fill before it goes away.

Kristen on May 4th, 2010 at 10:14 pm

That is so awesome. I saw it back in the late 80′s and I’m going this fall and can’t wai to see it

Lisa on May 5th, 2010 at 7:39 am

Will Honey I Shrunk The Audience be closing permanently? I am glad they are bring this back. I really liked it but I wish they wouldn’t have to replace it with the other attraction. My kids love Epcot. I wish they could do something with the Wonder’s of Life building. My family enjoys Honey I Shrunk The Audience.

Deb from MO on May 6th, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Oooh, we are planning a trip for next summer. I really hope it is still playing as my four year old LOVES Michael Jackson!

Chris from FL on May 8th, 2010 at 1:35 am

Thank you so much for opening this up again! I love Epcot, now I love it even more! :) I knew Disney would come through! This is one of the reasons why people keep coming back to the parks! :) Keep listening to the people, thank you so much! :):):)

Kerri on May 9th, 2010 at 3:01 am

This makes me ridiculously happy. I always adored this as a child and I tell my husband about it all the time. He didn’t get to Disney for the first time till 2009 and now we’re going for our third trip since Jan 2009 this September. I can’t wait to experience this with him!!

Rebecca from OH on May 11th, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Please tell me Honey, I Shrunk the Audience is coming back… Please, Please, Please! I am looking forward to seeing Captain EO.. but I think once will be enough! I LOVE Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.

Theresa from TX on May 12th, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I literally screamed when I read this! Every time I go to Epcot I whine when I go past the old Captain EO theater about how much I miss it! As a kid I loved Michael Jackson and would make my parents let me watch it over and over! My fiancé and I have booked our honeymoon this fall and I am so thrilled to share in the experience with him! I am sure I will see it more than once while I’m there! :D Thank you so much for bringing back this classic!

Bobby on May 12th, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I’m going to Disney World June 5-12. I was hoping it would be there by then because my daughter is a huge MJ fan and I saw it a lot when I was younger

Jacob on May 14th, 2010 at 12:58 am

Is this an event that I will need to buy advanced tickets for, or will this work like the other Disney attractions?

Oh, and will the FastPass apply to this attraction?

alexandra from FL on May 15th, 2010 at 11:18 am

Why can’t we just bring back Captain EO permanently? You know, in memory of Michael. I bet he would have loved to see his movie back at Epcot.

Andrew on May 15th, 2010 at 7:42 pm

When will they be closing Honey I Shrunk The Kids close to start putting in Captain EO? I am going in the begging of June and i want to see Honey I Shrunk The Kids one more time before it closes.

Iris from PR on May 17th, 2010 at 7:19 pm

When “Honey I Shrunk the Audience” will closed????

Leslie on May 18th, 2010 at 1:43 pm

OMG! I absolutely loved this attraction. I was very dissapointed when it closed. I have always told my kids about it and now they’ll get to see it!!!

Tara from QC on May 18th, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Never saw this so I am looking forward to seeing it in August when we go!