Guests from around the world sometimes ask us about Disney’s involvement in local communities. Whether it’s through contributing to our local economies, applying environmentally friendly ways to do business or supporting organizations that help our communities, our focus on being a good corporate citizen is part of the legacy of Walt Disney that guides our actions today.
We’ve just released our 2009 Community Reports that provide an overview of our commitment as a responsible employer, active community leader and sound environmental steward. In many ways the reports are the tip of an iceberg, a partial view of the many ways the Company and our generous Cast Members contribute to our communities, whether in China, Southern California, Central Florida, France, The Bahamas or Hawaii.
Among the highlights from this year’s reports —
- More than 43,000 tons of material was diverted from landfills through recycling and donations at Disneyland Resort -– enough to nearly fill Space Mountain!
- Walt Disney World Cast Members come from all over the world, representing more than 80 nationalities and speaking 53 different languages
- Disneyland Paris generates 56,000 direct and indirect jobs in France
- More than 100,000 children, youth and families from underprivileged and local community groups have benefited from Hong Kong Disneyland programs
- Disney Cruise Line granted more than 500 wish trips to children faced with life-threatening medical conditions
Our Cast Members and our Company make dreams come true daily -– in our parks and resorts and on board our ships –- and in the many communities where we live and work. To read more about our community efforts, visit the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Corporate Responsibility webpage.
We welcome your feedback.