Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Happy Holidays from Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park at the Walt Disney World Resort

The Date You’ve Been Waiting For: ‘World of Color’ Water Spectacular Debuts June 11 at Disney’s California Adventure Park

posted on April 20th, 2010 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

World of Color
Lights, water, fire, music and animation will come together like never before on June 11 when “World of Color” makes its dazzling debut at Disney’s California Adventure park. You will get to experience some of your favorite Disney stories – from the charming to the adventurous – in a magical, new way.

Many of you, as readers of the Disney Parks Blog, have been following our documentation of the development of this playful, nighttime water spectacular. I’ve loved reading your comments and sharing in the enthusiasm for this highly anticipated show, and we want you to be among the first to see some up-close footage we recently captured during a rehearsal.

Enjoy the video and a special introduction from the man behind the magic, Steve Davison from Walt Disney Imagineering Creative Entertainment.

As you saw in the video, the show is brilliantly choreographed as it combines nearly 1,200 powerful fountains, popular Disney music, larger-than-life projections, lasers, fire, fog, surround sound and stunning images. On top of that, the magnificent, moving fountains are capable of reaching enormous heights — from 30 to 200 feet -– while maintaining their dazzling colors.

As I’m sure you know from reading the Disney Parks Blog, “World of Color” is a major milestone in the multi-year expansion of Disney’s California Adventure park.

“World of Color” debuts this year as part of Summer Nightastic! –- a lineup of exciting, after-dark entertainment at the Disneyland Resort. Summer Nightastic! will run from June 11 through August 29, and you’ll be able to catch “World of Color” year-round at Paradise Bay.

Now that you’ve had a glimpse of the show, what do you think about “World of Color” so far?

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

65 Comments 1 Reply

Malc from CA on April 20th, 2010 at 12:08 pm

FINALLY! I CAN’T WAIT!!!! DISNEYLAND, HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Justine from SK on April 20th, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I can’t wait to see it!

Brittney on April 20th, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I am so excited for this! We will be there June 21!

Brian and Wendy from WA on April 20th, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Aaaahhhhh!! I got chills! Looks unbelievable! Can’t wait to get down there and see it!

Jason from CA on April 20th, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Looks amazing!!! Can’t wait to go up for opening day!!!

Terese on April 20th, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Will you be able to see the show from the Hotel?

Heather Hust Rivera on April 20th, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Yes, the show will be visible from some rooms in our hotels, but I’m told the show is best experienced from the viewing area in Disney’s California Adventure park. The viewing area is the best place to get a sense of the scope of the show and to experience all of the elements – lights, sound, animation and water.

Mary on April 20th, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Mary from Santa Barbara, CA…
I haven’t made plans yet to see “The World Of Color Show”….But I know I am so excited to get to California Adventure to see this amazing,spectacular event!!!

Suzanne on April 20th, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Wow!!!! SOOOO EXCITED!!!!! Can’t wait! It looks beautiful! I will be there in August with my daughter. Yay!

Diane from BC on April 20th, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I can’t wait…we will be there in October this year and this will be on our list of things to see….way to go Disneyland!!!

April on April 20th, 2010 at 1:00 pm

This looks even more beautiful than I had imagined it to be. I am very excited to see this show! Wonderful job Disney team! Keep up the amazing work.

Kenneth on April 20th, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I wish they would do this at WDW! Even just a mini version of it. Maybe at Downtown Disney. Imagine sitting in one of those restaurants on the water there and watching this show! I would go to Downtown Disney all the time for this! I guess for now I should just save up for a trip to DCA. This show looks amazing! Great job guys!

Jeanie on April 20th, 2010 at 1:39 pm

AMAZING! I’ll be there in July for my son’s birthday and my best friend is flying out with her son who has never been to Disneyland before. I’m so glad he’ll be able to see this new show. It will be a magical trip for him!

Nancy on April 20th, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Absolutely AMAZING!!! I can’t wait to see it “live”! Thank you for sharing this with us

Karen on April 20th, 2010 at 1:46 pm

#14 – I’m so glad to see they finally have an official start date!!

Is there any chance there might be “soft openings” for this? We have our friends from Texas coming out on 5-21 and I’d love for them to be able to see it, if there will be any “soft openings”!!

Ruth on April 20th, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Will there be a special preview for annual passholders?

Bernadette from CA on April 20th, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Oh we can’t wait. We’ll be there in July. So glad we have our Disney Vacation Club Membership. We visit Disneyland or Disney World every year. Yay!

Elizabeth on April 20th, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I remember seeing a water show back in the 70′s. There was technical difficulty that night, and I don’t know if we ever saw it. I cannot wait to see this. Must make plans with my husband and children.

greg on April 20th, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Walt would be extremely proud of this great achievement. My sons and I have watched the progress in the lagoon, and we could just tell, this is something that is going to be Fantastic! I can’t wait, once again, the magic and wonder will touch all of our hearts!

Chris on April 20th, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I’m so there! The date is on my calendar. I’ll keep my ears open for any kind of AP ‘soft’ openings…. ; )

Robert from TX on April 20th, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Can’t wait to see it!

William on April 20th, 2010 at 2:44 pm

The show looks great. We’re wondering if rides in Paradise Pier will remain open during the show. We’ve never been on California Screamin, and it looks like it would be great after dark.

Fred from CA on April 20th, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the info. :)

I’m very excited to see this show and it will surely be a fantastic addition to California Adventure.

Robert from FL on April 20th, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I am thinking of going on June 11th for the opening – what time will the viewing area open before the show? Do you think DCA will be super busy that day? Is there a good chance we wont be able to get in?

Sarah from CA on April 20th, 2010 at 3:08 pm

It looks really amazing!

And like Robert above, I want to come on the 11th as well, but what time will they let you start lining up for a good seat? And what time is the show?

Thanks!

Margaret from CA on April 20th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. I betcha Walt would have LOVED this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lizzy on April 20th, 2010 at 3:53 pm

That looks amazing. I wish I could go to see it. :)

Maryanne on April 20th, 2010 at 4:19 pm

This is PERFECT! I’m planning a Disneyland trip with a friend of mine (my first trip without the folks too!) and we arrive two weeks after the debut! I’ve been keepin up with World of Color news since my trip to Disney last year (mainly with you guys here on the blog) ;D so I can’t tell you how excited I am to finally see this!

Jonathan on April 20th, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Phenomenal! This is the part of the DCA expansion that I’ve been most looking forward to, and it definitely looks like it’s going to deliver! Keep up the great work WDI!

Jayne on April 20th, 2010 at 4:57 pm

All of the changes that are being made to CA Adventure only make the entire experience that much more thrilling. Thank you for making our park even better… so glad you are doing this… it feels like Florida always gets the special attention. Hooray for the West Coast!!

Mike from IL on April 20th, 2010 at 5:10 pm

BRING IT TO ANIMAL KINGDOM IN FLORIDA!!!!

Theresa on April 20th, 2010 at 5:36 pm

‘World of Color’ looks amazing!! I was just at CA Adventure 2 weeks ago and I hadn’t been there in a long while and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it! I can’t wait to go back there to see this spectacular water show! Keep up the great improvements to our parks here in So Cal! Kudos to Disney!

Kate from CA on April 20th, 2010 at 6:10 pm

This looks amazing! My only question is, will there be a way to hide all of the technical stuff during the day time? We have been a few times and noticed the eyesore in the one gorgeous water area.. we can live with it for sure, but I’m just curious if there were any plans to cover it!

Also, will this interfere with the Electric Light Parade?

Brandon on April 20th, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Ill be seeing this hopefully opening day. I hope Alice and Dr. Faciler were not cut as they looked to be some amazing scenes with emotion.

Another milestone for Disney. Thank you!

Josh on April 20th, 2010 at 6:46 pm

THIS LOOKS AMAZING!! WELL DONE DISNEY! Cant wait to see it next year on our family trip to Dinsyeland! I wish I could see it sooner though!

Melinda on April 20th, 2010 at 7:17 pm

This looks wonderful! We can’t wait to see it during our fall Disney trip! What can you tell us about seating and viewing?

Fred from CA on April 20th, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Kate– When the show officially launches, during the day the entire show platform will be completely hidden underwater, and during the show only the fountain heads will be seen. :)
And the Electrical parade will be in Florida for the summer.

Michaelene on April 20th, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Ms Mike from San Pedro,
I have been waiting for this,ever since they started working on it,I can’t wait to bring my 3 Grandchildren to see this. They will be amazed.

Mary on April 20th, 2010 at 8:21 pm

It looks wonderful. After visiting the park over the last few years and watching the work done one it, I can see from the video that it is going to be well worth the wait. Thanks to everyone who worked on it.

Reggie on April 20th, 2010 at 10:42 pm

It looks amazing!! Will there be a preview for Passholder’s?

Jovan from CA on April 20th, 2010 at 11:27 pm

I saw testing for this show and it looks amazing! im so exited!

Ashley on April 20th, 2010 at 11:45 pm

I have a question though? Do you know what time all World of Color shows are going to be at?

This looks so amazing! I cannot wait to see it opening night! And I am super excited for Ariel’s part because she is my favorite Disney Princess :)

Diana on April 20th, 2010 at 11:57 pm

I’m so excitedd!!! <3

Lynn on April 21st, 2010 at 12:18 am

Is there any chance they will have World of Colour on for the long weekend in Sept as we are going for marathon weekend? Have been anxiously awaitng this show and don’t want to miss it.

Thor from CA on April 21st, 2010 at 1:06 am

OMG!!! This is so super awesome!!! I can’t wait until June 11th! I’m going to camp out on Harbor Blvd.! Thank you Disney Parks for being so good to us!!!

cindy on April 21st, 2010 at 1:41 am

Will be staying at the Disneyland Hotel in May. Are they planning on doing any pre-openings shows?

Yazmin on April 21st, 2010 at 1:43 am

Looks absolutely amazing. Thank you for another update — it’s great to finally have an official date. Counting down the days…

Debora on April 21st, 2010 at 2:20 am

72 days and counting!!!! till our trip to Disneyland, Disney always has something new and special waiting for us…more memories to make…I can’t wait.

Jeniffer on April 21st, 2010 at 2:39 am

Can not wait until June 11. Have been waiting and waiting for an official date. It is going to be a great experience. I know it is going to capture many hearts. Thanks Disney!!!

brendan from CA on April 21st, 2010 at 12:42 pm

The kids have loved seeing little bits and pieces of the rehearsals at night over the last few weeks. It will be so fun to share the whole show with them this summer!

Kevin on April 21st, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Can. Not. Wait. That looks so cool!