Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

Carrousel Name Change at Walt Disney World

posted on May 25th, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
A quick update to share tonight…our antique carrousel ride in Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom ParkCinderella’s Golden Carrousel – is officially changing its name to Prince Charming Regal Carrousel. The name change takes effect June 1.

The name change helps tell the rest of the Cinderella story that inspired the carrousel. Here’s the official story behind it:

Following their fairy-tale romance and happily-ever-after wedding, Cinderella and Prince Charming took up residence in Cinderella’s Castle. With peace throughout the kingdom, Prince Charming had time to practice for jousting tournaments. In the countryside near the castle, he built a training device of carved horses, on which he could practice the art of ring-spearing, a tournament event in which a knight rides his horse full speed, lance in hand, toward a small ring hanging from a tree limb, with the object of spearing the ring. This event was known by various names throughout the lands, but generally came to be called “carrousel.”

The carrousel device drew the attention of the villagers, who wanted to take a turn on this amazing spinning contraption. So Prince Charming had a second carrousel constructed closer to the Castle, where everyone could take a spin on this wondrous invention. Instead of a working knight’s training device, however, this new carrousel is more befitting its regal location in the Castle Courtyard – its rustic training horses replaced with ornately decorated prancing steeds adorned with golden helmets and shields, flower garlands, feathers and other festoons. Prince Charming invites one and all to test their horsemanship skills and to enjoy their own happy ending.

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Patricia on May 25th, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Shouldn’t it be: Prince Charming’s Regal Carrousel, ‘s is missing in Charming.

Jeffrey from NY on May 25th, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Could we get brass rings to go along with the new backstory? That would be so much fun!

Robert on May 25th, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Does this mean they’re going to add a real brass ring to reach for..? If not, I don’t see the point.

Karen on May 25th, 2010 at 6:36 pm

#1 – I can’t see a reason for the name change, unless they think this will attract more boys to the carousel now!! :(

Carla from PR on May 25th, 2010 at 6:37 pm

We’ll be there June 1st to see it!!!

Crystal on May 25th, 2010 at 6:40 pm

The changing of a name and nothing else is a long time advertising trick, it’s to make guests believe that something has been updated when it hasn’t and to attract more attention to it to see if it’s really something that’s worth keeping or not.

Carrie from CA on May 25th, 2010 at 6:40 pm

So if the Golden Carrousel was Cinderella’s, possessive, why isn’t it “Prince Charming’s Regal Carrousel”?

Kathleen from FL on May 25th, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Boo….so are they going to change the story panels on the exterior of the Carousel too? Still not understanding what the purpose of the change is for. I’m not seeing where this tells “rest of the Cinderella story”. Having spent many hours watching Cinderellas Golden Carousel – I can attest that there were just as many boys as girls on it. So sad. How long has Cinderellas Golden Carousel been in the park? Why change something that wasn’t broke.

Joe on May 25th, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Yeah they are always trying to find new ways of getting boys more excited about the park. Im a boy and I was always excited. I say leave the classics alone and if you want to attract more boys add different attractions. The carousel isn’t something I would have invested in change. My son loves the carousel as it is. Now when he’s older he will either still want to ride it or not. Changing the name isn’t going to determine that. That’s just my opinion. We went in February and he still talks about it. And he just recently turned three.

Sara on May 25th, 2010 at 7:02 pm

It’s a carousel. Nothing is going to get anyone more pumped up about it. I love the story, though.

Brian from KS on May 25th, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Patricia,

I’m assuming that the new name is supposed to be a tribute to the prince, not an indication of ownership (even though he apparently does own it). Sort of like “Cinderella Castle” or “Walt Disney World.” :)

Cyndi on May 25th, 2010 at 7:04 pm

I’m not impressed and I really don’t like this name change. Some things should just not change. It’s not going to make people go more, but I might stay away. The prince in Snow White a Prince Charming too – Prince Charming is basically a stock name for a prince in many fairy tales. Keep it Cinderella’s if they want to keep it tied to the story.

Nichole on May 25th, 2010 at 7:07 pm

maybe this has something to do with the new princess lands being built?

Jenny on May 25th, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Snow White’s prince is Prince Charming. Cinderella’s prince is just “the Prince.” So this name is inaccurate.

Annette on May 25th, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I have to agree with most everyone.. horrible idea. If the goal is to even out things among the boys and girls.. this doesn’t cut it. Boys that want to ride this probably don’t even know how to read let alone care what the ride is called.
Fine to drop the Cinderella if you must and just call it the Kingdom Carousel.. but this change is awful.
This is the one singular ride I associate closely with Walt. Please don’t change it!

olivia on May 25th, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Good Job Imagineers. I think the carousel needs to updated. I know when it reopens, it will still be classic!

Alisha from UT on May 25th, 2010 at 7:16 pm

The name change is correct. Prince Charming is Cinderella’s prince. Still, this change just seems pointless. I’m not impressed.

Jessica on May 25th, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I’m going to miss the old name, but like so much else at WDW has proven, change isn’t always a bad thing.

Philip on May 25th, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Everyone should just relax and take it easy. It’s only a mere little name change. Nothing more. It’ll still be the same old Carousel that we all know and love.

The name is most likely going to tie in to the new backstories and themes that are going to be established as part of the revised Fantasyland.

Think before reacting.

Michael on May 25th, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Where I come from what belongs to the husband also belongs to the wife! Why are we dividing up the royal family’s possessions?

Kelly on May 25th, 2010 at 7:54 pm

For those of you who don’t know…the carosel was built in 1917 by the Philadelphia Toboggan company, it was named “miss liberty” (i may be wrong on that one), there is still references in the carvings along the top to the miss liberty theme. Also, cinderella’s horse is the one with a gold ribbon on the tail.

I hope that Disney managment doesn’t change the name, it is a terrible idea, storyline or not

Kathleen on May 25th, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Will Cinderella’s horse still be a part of the new “carrousel?” Just wondering if the Imagineers even know which horse is hers. It will always be Cinderella’s.

Denise on May 25th, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Why don’t they name it Marry Poppins Jolly Holiday Carrousel? There is actually a carrousel and carrousel horses in the movie… But, the story is cute and a great way to get boys excited about it.

April on May 25th, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Gotta tell you… I’m not loving this. Regal? Really? Prince Charming’s Courtyard Carrousel would sound so much better. Or even just the Courtyard Carrousel!

Leslie Ann from GA on May 25th, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Not happy about this one bit…. Are they going to change the name of the castle now too?

Gloria from FL on May 25th, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Terrible idea to change the name. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Steven from PA on May 25th, 2010 at 8:29 pm

I too, believe the naming nomenclature (Cinderella to Prince Charming) likely has to do with the expansion of Fantasyland. NOTHING TO DO WITH BOYS vs. GIRLS! I also agree that use of the word “REGAL” – isn’t regal at all!

As for the Imagineers not knowing details about the Carousel, I can’t imagine why anyone would think Disney would (all of a sudden) forget the decades of details and information about a key attraction.

David from VA on May 25th, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Several folks have asked about the apparent missing possessive in the new name for the ride. My question is about the extra one in the back story…

Isn’t it Cinderella Castle? I didn’t think the official name of the castle was possessive.

David from VA on May 25th, 2010 at 8:57 pm

This just occurred to me. I wonder if the sword in the stone will somehow be re-purposed to meet the new name/theme for the carousel. It’s been nearly four years since the last King was chosen.

Russell from VA on May 25th, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Unimpressed. Story line or not, that name needs help. I’d rather they just leave it be.

William on May 25th, 2010 at 9:36 pm

It seems like no one really cares much for the new story line let alone the name change…IMHO both are just plain stupid.

George from MA on May 25th, 2010 at 9:51 pm

If legacy isn’t working anymore you replace it not rename it. Much ado about nothing. Sorry.

Deborah from PA on May 25th, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Adding that when I first saw the post, I thought it was surely a joke but there doesn’t seem to be a punch line.

Peter from GA on May 25th, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I hope this isn’t to get boys excited about it. That doesn’t really make sense. I mean, sure it sounds like the new Fantasyland is mostly for girls but there’s no way that Disney thinks this would make any difference. I don’t care for the name change. What’s the point?

Gregory from MA on May 25th, 2010 at 10:38 pm

This seems like a silly idea to make an attraction seem boy-centered in an upcoming land full of princess themed attractions. Most people enjoy it as a carousel without even knowing it’s proper name. It’s an unnecessary change that takes away from the original theme as portrayed by the many paintings on the carousel structure. I hope Disney reads these comments and decides against the change.

Anonymous on May 25th, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I’m giving this two thumbs down. No need to improve on perfection. It’s Cinderella’s Golden Carrousel, just like it’s King Stephan’s Banquet Hall, the WEDway People Mover, etc. There is no need to keep changing the names of attractions and restaurants just because they are old, these are “classic”. LEAVE THEM ALONE!

John from MouseTimes Podcast

debbie from NY on May 25th, 2010 at 11:04 pm

I agree with most comments. Leave the name the way it is. Why change history? All kids – big and small – love it.

Trent on May 25th, 2010 at 11:25 pm

By naming the ride “Prince Charming Regal Carrousel” the Imagineers have purposely named it in “honor” of the Prince instead of indicating that Prince Charming owns the carrousel. I imagine this was done to keep with how the castle is named.

It’s surprising then that the “official story” gets the name of the castle wrong. It should be “Cinderella Castle” and “Prince Charming Regal Carrousel” but the official story makes the same mistake so many do by calling the castle “Cinderella’s Castle”.

I’m not a fan of the “Prince Charming Regal Carrousel” name either but it would have been easier to accept if the official story referenced the correct name for the castle so that the consistency in naming between the two attractions was evident.

Andrea from AL on May 25th, 2010 at 11:28 pm

But why? I don’t like the name change. It’s such a mouth-full.

Shannon from NV on May 25th, 2010 at 11:36 pm

What a great story!!! I also like the inclusion of Prince Charming. I’m psyched that Disney is plussing the perimeter of the upcoming Fantasyland annex to provide a cohesive and fluid experience. Thank you Imagineers for attending to all of the details of this massive upgrade.

Rachel from West Midlands on May 25th, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Please Disney don’t do this, it is a completely unnecessary change.Have a look on the WDW fan page on Facebook to see how thousands of fans have reacted – it isn’t a good idea.

The new name is a bit lame…maybe if the change were for the better the reaction would be better too.

Julie on May 25th, 2010 at 11:48 pm

A royal mistake! I have gone with lots of friends, family and kids of both, and I was there with my male cousin in the early days of the park. I can never recall a time when a male refused a trip to Disney OR stood and watched while a girl rode Cinderella’s Carousel. If it ain’t broke…

jose on May 26th, 2010 at 12:17 am

noooooooooo don’t change it
why prince charming is not a strong character like cinderella.

Daniel from OH on May 26th, 2010 at 1:14 am

So many other concerns around the parks and THIS is being touted as newsworthy? I suppose we should be happy it didn’t become Ken and Barbie’s Merry-go-round to coincide with the new feature coming out next month. Ah well…maybe that other carousel (with one “r”) in Tomorrowland will have its “actors” spruced up someday too, but I fear that will always be put off until tomorrow (it is Tomorrowland, after all).

Jason from Hampshire on May 26th, 2010 at 1:47 am

Not liking the name change at all! It just doesnt have a ring to it like Cinderellas Golden Carousel does. I for one will still be calling it that. As other has said, shouldnt it be Prince Charming’s Regal Carousel? Prince Charming Regal Coursel doesnt make sense!! I like the suggestion of Prince Charmings Courtyard Carousel, but think it would be SO Much better if the name was left as it is. :(

Kristian on May 26th, 2010 at 3:56 am

I’m sorry, my opinion is that the name change and the back story are a bit lame. Why do you need a backstory for a carrousel?

Alexander from FL on May 26th, 2010 at 4:01 am

I agree with most I think if it was Cinderella’s it should be Charming’s. I feel imagineering didn’t give this totally there 100%. I’m all for the Fantasyland Expansion but somethings I think that are classic WDW and Walt should stay and be incorporated other ways into it. I also agree that with out the addition of brass rings to the carrousel the new story is mute, but, I can see the lawsuits as kids fall about trying to reach for one. I say leave it Cinderella’s and get a good writer to figure out a new backstory to reincorporate it to fit with Fantasyland Forest.

Thor from CA on May 26th, 2010 at 4:51 am

This change might make more sense to us if we knew why this 39 year old attraction had to be renamed all of a sudden. Might I humbly suggest that the reason behind the change be revealed? Something as simple as “With a Cinderella attraction coming with the Fantasyland expansion, we just thought there were going to be too many things named after her.” Also, will there be any cosmetic changes made? Will those two explanatory paragraphs be placed on a plaque in the queue? Or does only the name on the sign change with this? Thanks Disney Parks for helping us understand the change!

Pam from MA on May 26th, 2010 at 6:38 am

Stop messing with stuff that already works!

Cassandra from ON on May 26th, 2010 at 7:28 am

The real backstory here is obvious: Cinderella and Prince Charming divorced. Cinderella won the alimony battle, getting the castle, restaurant and boutique, while Charming had to move out and settle for the carrousel.