'Mickey and the Magical Map' at Disneyland Resort

Disneyland Hotel Makeover

posted on May 26th, 2010 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

Big news…Today we’re sharing details and concept art that will give the Disneyland Hotel a fun, fresh makeover. The pool area is getting a whole new look, including a brand-new pool, all-new immersive water play area and a complete redesign of the Never Land Pool. Plans also call for a new restaurant and bar, and re-theming of the hotel’s three guest room towers.

The biggest transformation (and what I’m most looking forward to) are the changes coming to the pool area. With a nod to the iconic original park signage, “Disneyland” will be spelled out in familiar blocks atop a platform supporting two huge water slides (the larger slide will be 26 feet high and will stretch 187 feet before it plunges into a splash pool below). Reminiscent of the original Monorail station at the Disneyland Hotel, at each slide’s entrance will sit a replica Monorail Car that guests will glide through as they twist and turn their way to the pool below. The pool will also feature a third, two-lane mini slide, perfect for little ones, which is just 3 1/2 feet high and is 19 feet long.

Never Land Pool

The Never Land Pool will receive a complete cosmetic makeover but will retain its unique shape. A new, four-foot deep pool will be built between the Never Land Pool and the water play area. A footbridge will stretch over this new pool, connecting both sides of the courtyard area and giving easy access across the property. Six new cabanas will also be added. To help you visualize all these exciting, new changes, here’s a rendering from an aerial view.

Aerial View: Never Land Pool

And that’s not all! Two new dining locations will be introduced in the current location of Hook’s Pointe, Croc’s Bites and Bits, the Wine Cellar and the Lost Bar. A new “smart casual” dining concept will feature Tahitian architecture that is reminiscent of the ’50s and ’60s era of the hotel and the original Tahitian Terrace restaurant in Disneyland park. A new bar will draw on the adventure theme from the Jungle Cruise attraction.

The new water play area, pool and dining locations are scheduled to be completed by summer 2011, and the remodeled Never Land Pool is slated to be completed by summer 2012.

The hotel’s three guest room towers will be renamed to reflect Disneyland park’s distinctive lands. The Dreams Tower, currently under renovation and scheduled to be completed in 2010, will become the Adventure Tower. The Wonder Tower, next to undergo transformation and slated for completion in 2011, will be the Frontier Tower, and the Magic Tower, which will be finished in 2012, will become the Fantasy Tower. A large marquee featuring classic artwork for Adventureland, Frontierland and Fantasyland will identify each tower.

Now that you’ve heard about all these changes, what are you most excited about?

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort, Hotels & Resorts

1 2 3

Dina on May 26th, 2010 at 8:35 pm

This looks really cool!

Joseph from CA on May 26th, 2010 at 8:39 pm

The new pool with Monorail slides look AMAZING!!! Are they going to remove the waterfalls that are in front of the Wonder (Frontier) Tower? They dont seem to be on the aerial view! I’m also VERY excited about the Tiki style restaurant that will be built near the pool! What great nods to Disneyland rich past!

Heather Hust Rivera on May 27th, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Thanks, Joseph. As we reconfigured the pool area, we had to make a few changes and needed to remove the koi pond and waterfalls. We lost some grass area as a result of our fun additions, and we realized that guests still needed this grass area for events. This decision is also more environmentally-friendly because the koi pond and waterfall area required a lot of water and electricity.

George on May 26th, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Bring back the arcade!!

Marc on May 26th, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I love the overall theme of the Disneyland Hotel. The atomsphere will have a more Disneyland feel than it does now, although the hotel already has a more Disneyland feel than the other two hotels. It is hard to pinpoint a favorite, but I would say the monorail themed slides.

Anonymous on May 26th, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Wow that is so great! Looking forward to seeing a more “disneyland” Disneyland Hotel! Can you give any hints to names of the new areas?

Dori on May 26th, 2010 at 8:51 pm

I always thought the Disneyland Hotel “Neverland Pool” was fun, but I always felt it was missing some of that extra disney magic. Compared to Disney World Hotel Resort Pools it was very poor, and I felt it needed to be more like the Beach Club’s or Polynesian’s pool. Now, I am so excited and I cannot wait for a dip in the new dl pool!

Jenny from CA on May 26th, 2010 at 8:53 pm

This is the coolest thing ever….My 6 year old son has been dressing up as the monorail for Halloween since he was 2…..OBSSESSED with the monorail and we love love love the Disneyland hotel!!! SO excited!

Jason on May 26th, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Are they keep the Koi pond and waterfall area??

Nicole on May 26th, 2010 at 9:03 pm

OMG!!!!!! The pool was amazing before…can’t imagine how fantastic it will be after this. Leave it to Disney to keep upping the stakes. Guests love staying there and that isn’t enough for the Imagineers. They want to make it better. My family and I were there last year and were hoping to travel to the USA in 2012 to see Carsland. We were planning on staying at the Disneyland Hotel anyway but now we absolutely have to!!!!! CAN”T WAIT!!!!!

Tom on May 26th, 2010 at 9:05 pm

When will the Neverland Pool be closed? We are planning to stay at the Disneyland Hotel in early September.

BRIAN from CA on May 26th, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Now that’s the type of thinking that benefits everyone. Something new & cool for the younger set & a little nostalgia for the traditionalists.
Hope it ends up looking that great!

Jaime on May 26th, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I am excited about all of it! We were there in March and were lucky enough to stay in one of the newly renovated rooms in the Dream tower! It was so beautiful and magical! I just wish that I could buy one of the entertainment center hutches, from the old rooms, for my house. :)

John from NC on May 26th, 2010 at 9:09 pm

What is going to happen to the waterfalls? You guys are removing them!?!?! I liked those, especially at night, they glowed with multiple colors and it was romantic!

Terrauh on May 26th, 2010 at 9:11 pm

All of it sounds exciting!!! Can’t wait until it’s all done. :)

Kyle on May 26th, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Does this mean they will remove the waterfall walkway?

Cyle from CA on May 26th, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I’m going to miss the waterfalls, but I’m excited for the Monorail slides!

Only question: What why is there no Tomorrowland Tower? I LOVE Tomorrowland.

Tom on May 26th, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Finally, some great ideas happening at the Disneyland Hotel. Love these plans! Great homage to the original Disneyland sign and incorporating the monorails into the slides. Love the Tahitian Terrace restaurant being installed. I used to work on the Jungle Cruise and always have missed it. So of course I love the adventure theme for the new bar area. Congrats and I can’t wait till it’s finished!

Peter on May 26th, 2010 at 9:41 pm

The new pool looks good, but I wish the tower names would stay the same. KEEP THE WATERFALLS!

Tom on May 26th, 2010 at 9:43 pm

P.S. I wish you could bring back Skull Rock somewhere on the property!

Danny on May 26th, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Is there going to be anything named after Tomorrowland?

Joseph from CA on May 26th, 2010 at 9:47 pm

The changes sound great! While we will miss the “Peter Pan” theme, we are very excited about the upcoming classic Disneyland theme, especially the nod to the Tahitian Terrace restaurant. :)

shayna on May 26th, 2010 at 9:47 pm

OMG!!!!! just in time for me to be getting a real job to be able to afford to visit the hotel!!!! *HONEYMOON*???

Randy on May 26th, 2010 at 9:52 pm

We just stayed in some of the newly renovated rooms at the Disneyland Hotel. They did a wonderful job. We liked the new theme. Our grandchildren will be thrilled with the pool renovations. (us older kids too)

Rozi on May 26th, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Wow! As a future Imagineer when I grow up I love seeing all the new artwork. The Re-Theming is a great idea. Can’t wait for my Disneyland resort trip this June at the Grand Calafornian!

olivia on May 26th, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I think the Disneyland hotel needed a facelift and this is great! What are the transformations going to be like? is is going to be heavy like the Grand Flordians 1900′s style? Or subtle ways like paintings on the wall?

James on May 26th, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Looks good but I sure hope the waterfalls and koi ponds are staying by the Frontier Tower.

Peter on May 26th, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Are the Jungle Cruise Motor Boats staying?

Judy from ID on May 26th, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Wow, wow, wow! I almost thought this was an “April fools”, I am most looking forward to the slides, but the retro themeing is a close second.

Debi on May 26th, 2010 at 10:51 pm

I’m excited about the new pool and restaurant area. But PLEASE don’t take away the magic of the Disneyland Hotel. I recently stayed in the new rooms, nice but blocks out the Disney music and childrens laughter. The windows should open just a little so you let in the “magic”.

Alisha from UT on May 26th, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Oh my gosh, I LOVE the slides!!!

I remember staying at the hotel in 1987, at age 4, and then a few times since then. I always loved it. I’m so glad the Disneyland Hotel is getting the attention it needs and deserves, and I think theming the towers to the lands in the park is genius. Now it will truly be a Disneyland hotel! :) We will plan to stay there when the renovations are complete. One question: does this mean the Jungle Cruise boats will be taken out? It looks like they will be, with the slides being in their current location. We’ll miss them!

Gerald on May 26th, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I love the slide idea- just hope they keep the Neverland pool with the ship and pirate theme- and skull rock. New is great- but keep the old- one is silver and the other gold!

Kristi on May 26th, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I’m most exicted about is the pools. I can’t wait to go..

Taylor from UT on May 26th, 2010 at 11:23 pm

This is Fantastic!!! I absolutely love the Monorail slide! I think it is awesome that the Disneyland Hotel wants to bring back the past!

Geoffrey on May 26th, 2010 at 11:25 pm

While I love the expanded pool layout, it appears that the waterfalls in front of the newly dubbed “Frontier” tower makes me sad. Also, it appears that the two quieter pools and beach area at the west end of the property are leaving also. This is a sad moment for an adult Disney fan.

Vanessa on May 26th, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Everything sounds awsome exept for taking away the lost bar we love the lost bar I think because of it’s name also love sitting outside it at night next to the heaters and warming up with a drink before bed.

Vanessa on May 26th, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Are they taking out the waterfalls and koi also?

Sherry (Cheryl) from CA on May 26th, 2010 at 11:44 pm

The Disney imagineers never cease to amaze me. I can’t wait to see these new changes. Very exciting stuff!

Jonathan from TX on May 26th, 2010 at 11:45 pm

I am usually all for updating attractions and the properties, but I do not like this idea at all. The koi ponds and waterfalls between the towers are part of the charm of the propery. To replace them for this is a move in the wrong direction. The one of the things I loved the most about the hotel was this area. I am devasted that they are simply removing it. They should have at least worked the existing area into the new concept.

lori from CA on May 26th, 2010 at 11:56 pm

when will the reconstruction start? we are bringing our 4 year old niece there this July and the pool is an important part of our vacation plans. Thanks for the updates.

Heather Hust Rivera on May 27th, 2010 at 2:25 pm

There will be a pool available to guests at all times during the renovation.

Ismael from CA on May 26th, 2010 at 11:58 pm

That looks great, so does that mean the waterfalls will be removed? also what will become of the abondoned fantasy waters.

Is there still pans for a fourth tower?

Tim on May 27th, 2010 at 12:15 am

Great news! When we stayed last June, we thought that they should have a new pool, or water play area, in the area that used to be the “Fantasy Waters” show. But this idea is great because we felt that the pool area could be larger, especially when by 2pm, all pool chairs were occupied.
Hey, use my idea! Since the area of the former “Fantasy Waters” show is going to be next to the new “Frontier Tower”…put in a “Water Fun House” themed after a western saloon. (I should’ve been an Imagineer…my dream job!)

Dana on May 27th, 2010 at 12:17 am

I so missed the Tahitian Terrace – I am really excited about that. And updated hotel rooms is always a very good thing! I hated it when Disneyland had McDonalds in the park YUK!

Sarah on May 27th, 2010 at 12:26 am

Like I need one more reason to love this place! That looks amazing and one more reason I want to stay there on my next visit! Thanks for sharing. Every family needs a vacation and this is the best place on earth!

Kirsten on May 27th, 2010 at 12:35 am

When does construction start. We are arriving in 3 weeks. Does that mean the pool is closed now?

Tim on May 27th, 2010 at 12:54 am

This is incredible, I can’t wait to see it finished. I love it now when Disney refurbishes areas of the Disneyland Resort to years past. I think Walt would be very proud of this, especially the Monorail cars. I know trains were his passion, and he loved the monorail. It’s always been one of my favorites to ride at Disneyland. And the new Mark VII’s are amazing.

The original Monorail Station is greatly missed, it will good to see it back in its own way. Great Job Imagineers !

Fred from CA on May 27th, 2010 at 1:10 am

Sounds very cool. I love the fact that the they will giving a nod to the classic Disneyland sign, and I love the new names of the towers.

david from CA on May 27th, 2010 at 1:16 am

does this mean no more water falls?

Nicholas on May 27th, 2010 at 1:27 am

I can’t wait! Seems like a great idea!

mike on May 27th, 2010 at 1:30 am

Ohhhhh, my god! What am I most excited about??? EVERYTHING!

I’ve been a long-faithful guest of the Hotel, and this is the (long overdue) makeover I’ve been waiting for!

If I had to pick just one, I’d have to say the new restaurants. The Hotel is in DIRE need of new places to eat! A bar at the pool, though? That’s pretty rad. Oh, and the MARQUEE at the waterslide?! and the monorail slides?! GENIUS! and each Towers’ large marquee! and the Jungle Cruise theme at the new bar! and…

Amanda from CA on May 27th, 2010 at 1:34 am

That sounds so cool Heather! From what I can tell on the map, it looks as if the waterfalls near the Wonder (Frontier) Tower are gone. Are they being replaced? And what about the old water show area also by the Wonder (Frontier) Tower? My family and I were just there last week and wondering what would become of it. Thanks for the exciting post!

Keep the magic with you!

1 2 3