Fireworks at the Matterhorn at Disneyland Resort

First Meet-Up at Disneyland Resort

posted on May 25th, 2010 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

UPDATE: We’re thrilled with the great response to the Toy Story Mania! meet-up! We have now reached capacity. Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for additional meet-ups in the future.

Toy Story Mania
Calling all Toy Story Mania! and Walt Disney Imagineering fans….Just after Disney’s California Adventure park closes to the public on May 27, parts of the Park will re-open for a meet-up of 150 fans.

Kevin Rafferty, Walt Disney Imagineer, Senior Concept Writer, will meet with the group to give an insider’s look at the new changes in Toy Story Mania! Kevin will even share original concept sketches and sketches of the ideas that didn’t make it into the attraction. Fans will have a chance to ask Kevin questions about the making-of the attraction and what it’s like to work on this project.

There will also be a few surprises you might not want to miss. The event will take place from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursday, May 27, and check-in will close at 5:45 p.m.

To attend, please RSVP to meetups@disney.go.com. This event is subject to capacity of 150 people, so we recommend that you RSVP quickly.

Here are a few things you should know:

• Valid RSVPs must include your name and the name of your guest if you are bringing one. RSVPs that include the names of more than two people or are missing information (e.g. incomplete names) will not be accepted.
  • Valid photo I.D. will be required at check-in.
  • All guests must be 18 years or older.
  • The event is subject to change or cancellation.

Are you hoping to attend?

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

Jessica from CA on May 25th, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Awesome! Thank you, Heather! Can’t wait for Thursday!

Cassandra from CA on May 25th, 2010 at 8:20 pm

woo hoo!! i got a good email! thank you!

Fred from CA on May 25th, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Thanks for the response Heather. :) Good to know.

I’m still a bit disappointed, but I’m looking forward to future events, and hopefully there will be higher capacity for some.

Scott on May 25th, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I emailed in at 10:25, but I still haven’t heard anything. I’m not holding out much hope, especially since it’s after 5 now, but I’ll let you know if I do.

Jonathan on May 25th, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I emailed at 10:17 and got in, but by that time word was already spreading really fast. Plus, if everyone is bringing a guest, that’s only the first 75 responses. Today is my lucky day!

Ryan-Philipp on May 25th, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I haven’t received an email yet whether its a rejection or acceptance.Just curious if all “acceptance” letters have been sent out?

Cyrille on May 25th, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I got an email saying I’m in! Thanks so much for the opportunity :D My guest and I can’t wait !!!

Mike from CA on May 25th, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I did not get an email back yet. It was mentioned that everyone would get an email back saying they either got in or it was full. Is there someone I can contact to see if my email went through?

Andrew on May 25th, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Participants for events like these should be picked randomly within an allotted time.

Alicia on May 25th, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I will be at Disneyland on Thursday anyways. Will there be any stand-by line in case any of the 150 people on the guest list are not able to make it?

Kimberly from AZ on May 25th, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I’m incredibly excited! I got my confirmation, and booked a hotel room. My mom and I will be driving out Thursday morning to make it! :) Thanks Heather for doing an awesome job keeping the blog up to date! I think I emailed in about 2 minutes after it was posted, so I was pretty lucky. It is nice to get the blog updates via Facebook. :)

Destiny on May 26th, 2010 at 1:16 am

HEATHER, please! Is there a number i can call to change my guest name? I got accepted for the meet-up but i need to change my guest? Is there a number or what can i do to change my guest?

Danny on May 26th, 2010 at 11:03 am

I think picking the first people who got their email in was fair. It rewards those who are subscribed to and pay attention to the blog, Facebook page, and Twitter. If it was a random process there would be people who heard it from a friend or another site which isn’t fair since these events are to promote people to visit this site and join the official Facebook and Twitter pages.

Andrew on May 26th, 2010 at 12:37 pm

@ Danny – Plenty of people join the Twitter and Facebook pages, but that doesn’t mean everyone has the spare time to sit in front of the computer or phone text waiting for the next blog update. At least set it up so we don’t have the same people going to these events.

Danny on May 26th, 2010 at 2:48 pm

@Andrew – So basically it is just luck that someone happened to be online when it was announced. It is like a radio station asking you to call in when you hear a certain song; it rewards those who keep checking in and encourages more visits to the site. It would be nice if they mixed-up the announcement times so the same people don’t get in every time, but this is the first event so there will be time for those considerations in the future.

Andrew from CA on May 27th, 2010 at 1:39 am

Is it possible to change the name of my guest?

Destiny on May 27th, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Andrew– I’ve been asking the same thing for like 2 days now?!?!?! I sent them an email and they said they would try to do their best so not sure what that really means. My guest is no long able to go so I’m just bringing my new guest and hopefully we get in!!!

Mike from CA on May 27th, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Thanks for such a great event! It was a lot of fun.

Karen on May 28th, 2010 at 3:13 am

#68 – I just wanted to come and say how much we really enjoyed ourselves tonite!! Many thanks to Heather and the rest of the staff! You guys did an awesome job!

Even tho we didn’t end up meeting the “voice talent” in person like I’d hoped, we did get to enjoy a ride on TSM2 after the Q&A session with Heather and Kevin Rafferty!!

I just wish those pesky Grad Nite kids weren’t coming in, so we could’ve ridden and played more than once!! :D

Thanks again and I hope you have more fun activities in the future!

kat on May 28th, 2010 at 11:48 am

Heather, you created such a wonderful evening! Thank you, thank you! My son Taylor and I had a great time, and our drive was rewarded by the amazing time we had, the warmth of everyone at the event and our cookies and pins! I especially loved that we had a chance to ride TSM since I’ve never had a chance to do that! You asked last night to let you know what we liked about the blog…my favorite thing is that everyday I am connected to the magic of Disney just by opening my facebook page. I have loved being a part of the Disney family. Again, thank you for your passion for Disney it really shows! I can’t wait for Christmas when our family takes our holiday trip…Gloria said we should come to the Jelly Fish and say hi…it’s so nice to know someone to look forward to seeing again!

Chris from CA on May 28th, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Thanks alot heather! Last night was a blast…very well planned out and moved like clockworks. Kevin was amazing as was all the rest of your team so once again thanks so much!

Ramon on May 28th, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Thank you soooo much Heather. I had a blast last night. Only sad thing is i lost my cool disney blog pin. I put it on and it must have came off. Did anyone turn one in? Is there a way i could get it replaced? I would even pay you for the trouble. I live 10 mins away from Disneyland. Let me know thanks.

Laura from CA on May 28th, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Hey Heather! Overall, this was a great event. I do want to make a suggestion though, since this was the first time you did this event. There was a LOT of waiting around time. Like, an unreasonable amount of time that we were to either stand and wait (with no real word as to what we were waiting for) or sit on the concrete. The event could easily have had check in from 6:00-6:15 (because it didn’t take that long, and we could have taken the photo shortly after and then gone straight to the academy. I’m 5 months pregnant and I really wish there had either been somewhere for us to sit and wait or just less waiting overall. Also, everyone was kept in nice neat lines after checking in through the photo and then it all fell apart anyway. No need to keep us in lines if the check in order wasn’t important anyway.

That said, I’d absolutely recommend meet-ups to other people and I’ll certainly be trying to come again in the future. It was well worth it. Kevin was WONDERFUL.

David on May 28th, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Heather:

Last night’s event was amazing. Well executed for a first-time and the CM Michael who let us in late (after we sat in 3+ hours of traffic beating ourselves up to get there on time) was amazingly generous and kind.

We really love the idea of these events and are going to make it a mission to try to attend every meetup in the future. We will, of course, allow more time for travel due to the traffic on LA/OC freeways!

Thanks again and we hope to see more of you in person soon!

David and Suzanne

Lori from CA on June 1st, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Heather,

What a great event. My husband and I had a wonderful time.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Lori