New York World's Fair 50th Anniversary

Star Tours Prepares for Reimagining at Disneyland, Walt Disney World Resorts

posted on May 13th, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Star Tours Prepares for Reimagining

A first look at a new droid, R2-MK, with Jedi Mickey can only mean that “Star Wars Weekends” at Disney’s Hollywood Studios is around the corner. But today, were looking even further ahead in the galaxy to the “reimagining” of Star Tours at Disneyland and Walt Disney World resorts. Scheduled to open in 2011, the power of the Force and the magic of Disney once again will combine to create an all-new Star Tours. When it reopens, it’ll feature a new 3-D, immersive experience that’ll take guests to familiar places in the Star Wars galaxy. To prepare for the reopening, Star Tours will close at Disneyland Park on July 27 and at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on September 8.

If you’d you like to take a last daily express ride to Endor, make your plans to visit the parks before the closing dates. And as we announced last week, there will be a special “Last Tour to Endor” party on August 14 during “Star Wars Celebration V” in Orlando. For more information about “Star Wars Celebration V” and to purchase tickets, check out www.starwarscelebration.com.

Tagged: , , , ,

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

20 Comments 1 Reply

October from MO on May 13th, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Bummer, missing the last day by 16 days at WDW… I guess I just need to plan our trip for next year now too!

Fletcher on May 13th, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I’ll miss you, dear Star Tours. I first saw you in Tokyo Disneyland. You were hard to understand, but incredibly fun anyway!

That being said, I can’t wait to welcome the upgraded version of Star Tours! If the past record of Disney Imagineering has anything to say about it, I think the wait will be well worth it!

Amelia on May 13th, 2010 at 2:54 pm

ah so the rumors are true!! that’s swesome that star tours is getting a makeover… Can’t wait to see what Imagineer team has in store for star tours! Keep the excellent work!

Peter on May 13th, 2010 at 4:26 pm

SO EXCITED!! As a huge Star Tours fan this is going to be Awesome!

Brandon from LA on May 13th, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Do you know when in 2011 it will be reopening?

Travis from MD on May 13th, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I’m hoping someone can help me.

I’ve been trying all day to get more info about the Last Tour To Endor event – namely, I was curious to find out if this will be like an Extra Magic Hour event where a lot of the attractions will still be operating and open, or if the only ride that will be running is Star Tours. I called Disney and they didn’t have any info other than the fact that the only way to buy tickets is online.

david from IL on May 13th, 2010 at 5:34 pm

okay – where do I get my R2-MK ? That is very cool. Looking forward to the updated ST – I think it is time…I thought the new one was the pod race – reading this could it be a tour of maybe Tatooine and Dagobah ?

Thomas Smith on May 14th, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Hi David…you can purchase a R2-MK figure at Tatooine Traders at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Fred from CA on May 13th, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I’m glad that a date has finally been announced for when Star Tours closes at Disneyland.

I was at the Parks and Resorts arena presentation at the D23 Expo when Star Tours 2 was first announced.

I’m really excited to see what the Imagineers have up their sleeves. :)

Emma from Norfolk on May 14th, 2010 at 7:14 am

What a pity it will be closed for my trip in Dec 2010 but gives me an excuse to get back as soon as I can to see the reimagined ride.
Two questions – Will the whole area be closed or just the Star Tours ride, and will we still be able to get Star Tours related merch at the Studios?

Liza from GA on May 14th, 2010 at 10:16 am

I’m kind of bummed, but kind of excited. I love Star Tours as it is, but it will be cool when the changes are all done.

Ken from TN on May 14th, 2010 at 10:33 am

This is what I love about Disney. You guys are always updating stuff and making it better. Just like Pirates! Star Tours has always been a favorite of mine but the new concept sounds even better! Can’t wait to come visit next year!

Michael from IL on May 14th, 2010 at 4:10 pm

So just to clarify, is September 8th the last day that the ride is open, or the first day that the ride is closed? Thanks.

Virgilio from CA on May 14th, 2010 at 5:55 pm

I hope some day to be in a “Star Wars Weekend”

Carrie from TX on May 14th, 2010 at 6:46 pm

R2-MK is ADORABLE!!!! I want one! What if we can’t make it to the parks? Can we order one online? Or can we get one on the Cruise ship? Our 25th anniv. is smack dab in the middle of Star Wars weekends. Husband couldn’t get enough time off work to come down before the cruise leaves :(

Carrie from TX on May 14th, 2010 at 6:50 pm

BTW, we have been to 3 S.W, weekend events, they are wonderful.

Nancy from PA on May 15th, 2010 at 8:09 pm

cool!! i love R2! ST will be closed during our visit at the end of Sept, but looking forward to whatever is in store! *.*

Bridget on May 17th, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Hi Thomas, are costumes allowed for the Last Tour to Endor event? And if so, are there restrictions (like masks)?

Roberto from NY on May 17th, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Hi!!!

I will travel to Orlando-Florida with my wife from 30-Sept until 05-October, therefore I will appreciate you to inform me about the events or special events that will be on Disney parks in those days…

Thanks in advance.
Robert

Donna on May 19th, 2010 at 12:18 pm

We had a Disney magic moment when we rode Star Tours in January, and now this news makes that trip all the more special.
There was no line as my husband & I walked into Star Tours, a group of people were waiting for the next flight to Endor down the right side, but the attendant sent us down to the left. We rode with one other couple – they were in the front row, we were in the back, so our last trip to Endor is now especially memorable.

Darci on May 27th, 2010 at 10:45 am