Disney Cruise Line

The ‘Characters’ of Main Street, U.S.A.

posted on May 24th, 2010 by Gene Duncan, Photographer, Walt Disney World Resort

The 'Characters' of Main Street, U.S.A.
Scoop Sanderson’s business card reads Main Street Gazette Reporter, Town Councilman and Pinthusiast. His slogan- “All the news that fits!” Mrs. Sanderson wouldn’t allow dogs in the house, so Scoop managed to find a pair of low maintenance (but frisky) puppies that he walks on a leash, er, string, bobbing along the sidewalk, weaving between scores of smiling faces.
The 'Characters' of Main Street, U.S.A.
According to Scoop, their names are Butterscotch and Licorice, and they are trusty buddies who help him to “sniff out all the news on Main Street, U.S.A.,” in Magic Kingdom Park.

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

12 Comments 1 Reply

Debbie on May 24th, 2010 at 3:39 pm

This is the cutest toy ever! Could Scoop please share where he found it? Thank you so much!

Darlene from GA on May 24th, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Is Scoop a new character? I don’t recall seeing him before.
The puppies look vintage…are they?

Gene Duncan on May 27th, 2010 at 12:52 pm

If I remember correctly, Scoop has been reporting for the Main Street Gazette for about eleven years. Also, it seems that he mentioned that his puppies have been on the job with him the entire time. Debbie- Scoop did confide in me where he found the pups, but I would suggest searching online, as it has been quite some time since he acquired the critters…

Javier on May 24th, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I’ve never seen Scoop before but will definitively pay more attention next time.

theresa from FL on May 24th, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I’ve seen Scoop – talked to Scoop and thinks he’s all the news and then some!!

I lOVE THE CITIZENS OF MAIN STREET….

they need to be out on the streets more often!!

Sandra from IN on May 24th, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Gene, *GREAT* photos of Scoop! I’m happy to be able to say that our family has had the opportunity to be friends with Mr. Sanderson for over 8 years now (ever since first meeting him back in April, 2002, when our daughters barely reached his waist. Now, they’re up to his shoulders!) We, too, love the citizens of Main Street – some of the friendliest folks (and so very talented!) you’ll ever meet! For the guests who’ve never had the fun of meeting these citizens, it helps to get to the Magic Kingdom early in the day – that’s when they tend to be “out and about!” (And to all our friends on Main Street, we say “Hi there!”)

THOMAS on May 24th, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Scoop is the Best! Have had the pleasure of knowing him for 10 years, but unfortunately, don’t get to see him as much as I used too. Have traded many pins with him and attended many of his fantastic pin seminars. I used to go to his pin talks every Sunday with my nephew Chris, and enjoyed each and every moment. Scoop…. you’re the greatest!!!

Michelle on May 24th, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Thank you for featuring the characters of Main Street. This is what Disney is all about!

Alicia on May 24th, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I like the puppies!!

Stephanie from CA on May 25th, 2010 at 6:58 am

LOVE the first image! Great photographs Gene!

theresa from NC on May 25th, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I remember playing with those dogs growing up it’s cool

Donna on May 25th, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Scoop is in several of our honeymoon pics…. we spent the week at Disney and were grand marshal for one of the parades!! Great Memories!

Susan from MA on May 26th, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Great feature on Scoop!!!! the main st Characters are great!! I have had the pleasure of knowing Scoop through his former 1 o’clock pin talks (WHICH ARE GREATLY MISSED BY MANY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

hope you do features on Bea Starr and Hildargarde ( forgot her full name) have had the pleasure of talking to them during my many visits to WDW