Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion Ghost at Piano Scene

Why We Love Kouzzina by Cat Cora

posted on May 25th, 2010 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

We eat just about anything. But when we’re dining with a vegetarian or vegan, we’ve found a perfect Walt Disney World dining spot: Kouzzina by Cat Cora.

Salt-Roasted Beets with Skordalia

Vegans (vegetarians who eat no animal or dairy products at all) find plenty of delicious tastes on the menu, from roast pepper-chickpea soup to smashed garlic friend potatoes, sautéed brussel sprouts with capers and lemon and salt-roasted beets with skordalia (garlicky mashed potatoes served cold). You don’t even have to ask for Chef Dee Foundoukis to make something special, it’s all right on the menu.

Fisherman’s Stew

But let’s back up to what we love at Kouzzina. We daydream about the Fisherman’s Stew with crunchy fennel, shrimp, mussels, clams, firm white fish and a light tomato broth. And when it’s hard to choose from the Mediterranean-inspired menu we go for the new “Kouzzina Trio” with a lamb slider and ample portions of the cinnamon-stewed chicken and pastitsio (a classic Greek creation with pasta, ground beef and béchamel sauce).

Sometimes we just make a meal of the starters, like the grape leaf filled with goat cheese and grilled, crisp calamari and lemon, spanakopita (spinach pie), and a trio of spreads – harissa yogurt, kalamta fig and chickpea hummus – with grilled pita.

Loukoumades

Whatever we decide, we always end with the decadent loukoumades, hot Greek donuts drizzled with honey. Chocoaholics will want the chocolate budino cake with a warm chocolate center and sweet whipped cream.

By the way, the restaurant is the only place outside of California where you can sip Coranation wines, celebrity chef Cat Cora’s own label.

Filed: Disney Dining, Walt Disney World Resort

10 Comments 1 Reply

Jacqueline on May 25th, 2010 at 11:16 am

Wow, this is fabulous. I’m planning a trip in October and wondered what / where I will eat. I’m vegetarian, not vegan so it’s not quite as difficult, but I’d prefer to eat vegan when possible. I guess I know where I’ll be at the end of the day!

Amme on May 25th, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Sounds great! I’m a vegetarian, we’ve been to Disney World 7 times & I have never had a problem finding something to eat. There are many vegetarian choices!

Andrea from AL on May 25th, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! I’m vegan, and my boyfriend is vegetarian. We’ve been to Disney World three times together over the 6 years we’ve been together, and we’ve always had wonderful food. It’s one of the main reasons I love coming to Disney World. It’s usually so hard to eat out at home or while on vacation, but nearly all of the Disney restaurants have been so incredibly helpful and I’ve always had wonderful meals. You don’t know how nice it is to be able to get a VEGAN banana split while on property at Walt Disney World! I was in heaven! One thing I wish would change, though: The vegan/gluten free option for hamburger buns. They’re very dry and tasteless : (

theresa from NC on May 25th, 2010 at 4:20 pm

what’s good to eat that’s vegetarian at Cinderella’s Castle for breakfast??? I’m going with a friend and it’s our first time??..

Pam Brandon on May 25th, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Cinderella’s Royal Table serves eggs, French toast, yogurt, granola . . . good vegetarian options.

Timothy from CA on May 25th, 2010 at 6:07 pm

We ate at Kouzzina at Christmastime and we are both vegetarians. We loved it!

Christopher from VT on May 25th, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I am very excited about, Kouzzina by Cat Cora. Being a vegetarian with my wife Disney has done a decent job to offer us a good assortment of food. Now it seems even more so, which is even better since we are planing a trip with our little one for march.
The food looks amazing, and I am sure she will love it!

Mia on May 25th, 2010 at 10:27 pm

ahhh yes, the food at kouzzina is sooo good!! the cinnamon chicken just melts in your mouth & the greek “donuts” for dessert were sinfully delicious!.. i make it a point to try out new restaurants each time i go, which is just one thing i love about disney- so many options!! kouzzina does not disappoint!!.. i’m definitely an omnivore, but i agree- there are many veggie-friendly options everywhere at disney! :o)

Andrew on May 26th, 2010 at 11:10 am

Just ate there a week ago. It’s all good! The food. The drinks. The dessert. The decor. It’s the complete package.

I think Kouzzina is as good or better than most of the Disney Signature Restaurants.

Caleb on May 26th, 2010 at 11:49 am

I have eaten at almost every restaurant on property, including Victoria & Albert’s twice. That being said, nothing could have prepared me for the what I experienced at Kouzzina. Having eaten at Spoodles numerous times, my wife and I were slightly apprehensive about it being replaced, albeit by an Iron Chef. I can’t say she liked her entree(in fact, she kinda hated it). But……..mine was the single most spectacular plate of food I have ever had at Disney World. Simply put, the whole fish is heaven. Thank you Cat Cora.

Ellen from NY on May 28th, 2010 at 4:31 pm

We’ve had the pleasure of eating at Kouzzina three times — twice for dinner and once for breakfast — last August, and loved every single meal we had there (my son had the fish stew both times and I had the fish stew and then the whole fish). I’ve since switched to a plant-based diet and am thrilled to see that Kouzzina doesn’t have to roll off the list of places we’ll be visiting during our next vacation. We had the chance to chat with Chef Dee and she’s a wonderful asset to WDW. And a big shoutout to Andrea from AL whose restaurant reviews from a vegan POV on a fan board have been invaluable!