Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Coffee With Walt

posted on June 28th, 2010 by George Savvas, Public Relations Director, Disneyland Resort

One the best parts of my role at the Disneyland Resort is being able to review images in our extensive publicity photo archive whenever I need to. Naturally, over time, many photos become familiar, and certain pictures begin to take hold as “special.” As one of my colleagues recently pointed out, I call many of them my “favorite,” so, here’s one of those favorite photos I like so much that it hangs on the wall in my office, directly above where I usually enjoy my morning coffee.

Coffee With Walt

This picture was taken at the Plaza Inn, in 1966, and I can’t think of anyone I’d rather share a cup of coffee with.

Filed: Disney History, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Bill on June 28th, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Wonderful Picture, thanks for sharing!

Devin on June 28th, 2010 at 1:07 pm

he was a man who was not afraid of short sleeves.

Perla on June 28th, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Wow, this is a great picture!

stacey on June 28th, 2010 at 1:15 pm

This is a great picture. Thank you. :)

Kevin on June 28th, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Wonderful photo. More photos of Walt, please!

I really love those photos of Walt walking around the park, the most famous in the series was the one of him walking through the back of the castle. I’d love to see that photo available for purchase through the Disney Gallery or something like that.

(the series shows Walt in a horizontally striped shirt)

Roberto on June 28th, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I Admire This Man, Very Good Image To Initiate The Day…

Charlie on June 28th, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Also: He love a good bowl of bowl of chili and Jello! “Not together”LOL”!”

Madhan on June 28th, 2010 at 1:30 pm

wow……. can i believe my eyes………

SHARON on June 28th, 2010 at 1:36 pm

A man with a marvelous vision … thanks Walt and thanks for sharing this picture.

Joseph on June 28th, 2010 at 1:39 pm

That’s wonderful.
The Plaza Inn fried chicken is too! LOL

Tina on June 28th, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I love you Walt Disney!!! Thank you for being such a imaginative and creative man.

Cathy from CA on June 28th, 2010 at 1:49 pm

OMG!!! Thank you soo much for sharing this wonderful picture. No crowds or photographers, just ‘the man who started it all’ relaxing with a cup of coffee. My God, to go back in time, sit at the table and chat. I’d pay—even at today’s prices. The coffee could be cold, who’d care?!

Krista on June 28th, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful photo of such a wonderful man!

Susan on June 28th, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I agree with Cathy. Can you imagine, sitting down for coffee and chat with Walt? It would be great to be able to purchase copies of some of these old photos. I have a tapestry of Steamboat Willie on the wall behind my desk at work. Love it!

Bryan from CA on June 28th, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I would have loved to share a cup of coffee with Mr. Disney. Just a few minutes to pick his brain, and get the chance to learn how to unleash the imagination. Great picture! Nothing else needs to be said!

Lynnette on June 28th, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Thank you for sharing this photo! I love its simplicity. The expression on Walt’s face is making me wonder what he is dreaming up. Wonderful!

Dina on June 28th, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I would have loved to just meet Walt Disney – not to mention have a cup of coffee with him! I love these old pictures :)

@ Kevin…I was sure that I saw the photo you’re mentioning on sale in the parks (I could be mistaken…). If you’re not going to be in the parks any time soon…I’m pretty sure you can contact the shop to purchase and have one sent to you :)

David from CA on June 28th, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I’m just curious. Does anyone know if he always pays for his coffee? Does he always leave a tip? Is he even real? Or is he something Mr. Mickey Mouse dreamed up? Personally, I love the man!!!

Fred from CA on June 28th, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Wonderful picture!

If you find anymore rare photos of Walt in Disneyland, please post them! :)

George Savvas on June 30th, 2010 at 10:26 am

Thanks Fred. I’ll be sharing more, so check back!

stacey on June 28th, 2010 at 4:12 pm

LOVE!!! thank you for sharing :)

Annathalia on June 28th, 2010 at 6:59 pm

This is amazing! I’ll remember the spot next time my family visits =]

Ralph on June 28th, 2010 at 8:02 pm

A great photo of a great man and to think that later that year we would lose this genius.

stacey on June 28th, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I love it, I love him and everything he created!!!!

Sylvia on June 28th, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Mr Disney was and will always be an inspiration to me. I would have loved to have coffee with him. Who was he having coffe with? Is that table still at the Plaza Inn?

George Savvas on June 30th, 2010 at 10:27 am

Hi Sylvia – All indications are he was alone, and while I can’t verify if the table is still there, the Plaza Inn maintains the same lush décor to this day.

LAURA on June 28th, 2010 at 9:22 pm

GREAT PICTURE! I WISH I COULD HAVE A CUP OF COFFEE WITH HIM, TOO!! THANKS FOR SHARING

Angelique from AZ on June 28th, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I adore this pic of Walt. I recently purchased a photo of him from DLR and it’s in a place of honor in my office. Please share more pics of Walt!!! thank you

gray on June 28th, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Walt looks so sick. Did you know that 1966 was the year Walt died.

Fernando from no on June 29th, 2010 at 5:26 am

The best person ever to have a coffee with…

Thor from CA on June 29th, 2010 at 5:44 am

What a great picture, that I don’t think any of us have ever seen before. It seems the pictures of Walt in Disneyland have been condensed over the years to just three or four that keep being used over and over. But there must be thousands of pictures of Walt in Disneyland.

Since Disneyland is the only Disney theme park Walt ever saw or walked in, much less own and operate himself, it would be great to see more of these types of pictures! Thank you for sharing this one with us!

Christopher from VT on June 29th, 2010 at 12:26 pm

what a great photo. Wish I could get a copy of it!

Marnie from WA on June 29th, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Wonderful wonderful picture of a true genius!
Thank you so much for posting this!!

Amie from UT on June 29th, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Thank you for sharing this amazing photo! I agree with the comment: I also can’t think of anyone who I would rather share a cup of coffee with.

mike on June 29th, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I am an ardent admirer of Walt Disney and his accomplishments. I have several pictures in my office that I feel the same way about George. Is there any way to procure a copy of the “coffee” picture? Also; I have a print of the iconic photo of Walt walking into Fantasyland through the castle. I have seen several individual photos in various publications that appear to be taken on the same morning. Walt is attired in a light -weight, dark colored jacket and has a broad, horizontal striped shirt on. Is there a source for a set of the pictures that were taken on that day?

Mike

brian on June 30th, 2010 at 10:49 am

Thanks for sharing!

I still miss Uncle Walt!

Alexandria from UT on June 30th, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I love this picture. I wish I could enlarge it and hang it in my kitchen! (any suggestions on where I can get that??)

Anthony on June 30th, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Kevin mentioned purching the Walt under the castle photo. Are reprints of photographs, such as this one, available for purchase? I cant think of a better photo to hang in my office.

Tracey from AZ on June 30th, 2010 at 10:19 pm

what a wonderful photo! Pour me another cup:)

Kelley on July 1st, 2010 at 4:12 pm

What a wonderful image! I have always imagined him as the kind of man whom would sit & have a cup of coffee with anyone despite all of the fame & fortune. What a legacy of wonder, fun & imagination he has left for all of us….and the most important lesson…never grow up!

Rhonda on July 2nd, 2010 at 2:15 pm

What a great photo. It is great when these old photos are shared with us the fans. Thank You for sharing them.

Stephanie from CA on July 3rd, 2010 at 1:11 am

Here he looks like a regular guy, and I love that. We all know otherwise though. Keeps these gems coming, I love knowing more of the man behind all that magic and bless you Walt Disney you have given the world so many gifts with your genius, certainly glad you got to enjoy your park….

Victor on July 5th, 2010 at 2:29 pm

This image is the epitome of Uncle Walt’s persona as a real person. As I opened the picture I have never seen, part of all that I had experienced with Disney over that last 40 years rolled up into one picture: this one. Part of the charm is that you are sitting with him sharing a simple part of life, starting a new day. Walt began each day with a sense of commitment and vision. Those moments we spend alone, however brief, are the building blocks to the next milestone in our lives. Now each morning I pass by the Plaza Inn, I will always see Walt grinning pensively, waving me over to share another dream. Thanks, Walt.

David on July 5th, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Funny, it makes me nostalgic for the days I spent working at The Plaza Inn.