Disney Cruise Line

An Early Peek at Aulani

posted on July 22nd, 2010 by John McClintock, Disney Public Relations

Hi! I’m John McClintock and I’m in the Public Relations department at Disneyland Resort. Although Anaheim is my Disney home base, and has been for more than 20 years, I’ve worked on Disney projects in Florida, France, Hong Kong and, now, Hawai`i. Over the next several months, I’ll be giving you first looks and behind-the-scenes information on the newest Disney Resort, scheduled to welcome its first guests on August 29, 2011.

It’s still a work in progress, but last week a bunch of us Disney Mainlanders got to visit O`ahu and tour the construction site of Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa, Ko Olina, Hawai`i. Although the Resort buildings are mostly concrete and scaffolding now, they’ve reached their full height and you can get a good sense of how they’ll look when completed. Here’s a photo of the Aulani lobby as it looks today, and a rendering of how it will look when the Resort is open.
Construction of Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa, Ko Olina, Hawai`i
A rendering of Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa, Ko Olina, Hawai`i
The location for Aulani, right on the oceanfront in beautiful Ko Olina, about 17 miles north of the Honolulu Airport, is spectacular, and the towers are angled to provide stunning ocean views for many of the 359 traditional hotel rooms and 481 two-bedroom equivalent Disney Vacation Club villas.

We also sampled one of the planned excursions being developed for Resort guests, an adventure trek into the rainforests of Manoa Valley in search of Menehune, the legendary island “little people” who are said to have built much of old Hawai`i.

Hotel booking for Aulani will begin the August 2 at www.DisneyAulani.com. Information about purchasing real estate interest in Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, Ko Olina, Hawai`i can be found at www.disneyvacationclub.com.

I’ll be sharing more information about this exciting project in the near future. Keep watching the Disney Parks Blog.

Filed: Aulani, Disney Vacation Club, Hotels & Resorts

Ashlee from BC on July 22nd, 2010 at 1:07 pm

i can’t wait to stay here!

Malc from CA on July 22nd, 2010 at 1:22 pm

My wife’s parents & family live on OAHU so this will be the PERFECT reason to say, “We don’t need to stay at your place this visit, we’re staying at….” ;)

MAGGIE on July 22nd, 2010 at 3:05 pm

glad I’m going to Hawaii next year!!!

Bethany on July 22nd, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Looks amazing!! I’ve never been to Hawai but when I do i will definitely stay at the Aulani! Thanks for sharing!!

TRACY from CA on July 22nd, 2010 at 3:14 pm

It needs its own special Tiki Room! Just for the resort! With a Lilo and Stitch!

Mike on July 22nd, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I can’t wait till it opens too! We love Disney and have never been to Hawaii. Seems like every time we plan a vaca we end up going to Disneyworld instead of Hawaii. Now we don’t have an excuse not to go! Cant Wait!

Katherine from UT on July 22nd, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I agree with Tracy! Tiki Room would be AWESOME! And how could you do something in Hawaii and not include Lilo and Stitch!! Looks like it will be incredible:)

Nick from CA on July 22nd, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I can not wait until this opens!! Do you have any insight on job opportunities, and when hiring will begin?

Matthew from ID on July 22nd, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Along the lines of @TRACY, what characters will be available to see?

John McClintock on July 22nd, 2010 at 8:09 pm

You can expect to encounter Mickey and Minnie of course, and you’re likely to see Chip ‘n Dale, Stitch and others from time to time. In fact, one of the Resort’s restaurants – the buffet-style Makahiki – will offer character breakfasts. Like our guests, the Disney characters will be “visiting” Aulani, so when you run into them, you may be surprised by their vacation outfits.

Danielle from PA on July 22nd, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Can you only book online or will there be a phone number available?

Also, any information about honeymoon packages?

John McClintock on July 22nd, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Beginning Monday, August 2, you can book Aulani hotel reservations and get additional information by calling (866) 44-DISNEY.

Janine on July 22nd, 2010 at 3:45 pm

It sort of looks like our church which was designed by Pietro Belluschi. I can’t wait to contrast and compare in person!

Robert from WA on July 22nd, 2010 at 3:47 pm

My wife and I spent our honeymoon staying next door to the location for this resort. In fact, they had the ground breaking while we were staying there! We can’t wait to go back when it is complete. It is a beautiful part of the island and far enough away from “the city” to feel like a real getaway.

Alexandra from FL on July 22nd, 2010 at 4:44 pm

This looks absolutely incredible/beautiful! I wonder if they’ll serve dole whip…

Alicia on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:21 pm

It looks like it will be amazing! My fiance and I go to Disneyland a lot since we live just 6 hours north in Northern, CA. We’re going to Hawai’i this October for our honeymoon. Maybe we can go to the Aulani for our one year anniversary!

Billy from CA on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Sounds magnificent!! It will truly be a landmark for Disney in Hawaii. I am so glad I will be going to Hawaii sometime in the next 2 years, and now, must stay at Aulani for my visit!

Kathy from WA on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:33 pm

We saw the towers when we were there in June. It already looks like a fabulous place to stay. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Catherine on July 22nd, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Seriously? Just tell me when you’re hiring– and I will drop my job as a Creative Director and come serve up some Pinna Coladas!!!

Mark on July 22nd, 2010 at 9:30 pm

We’re there…next fall!

Taryn from TX on July 22nd, 2010 at 9:55 pm

We were planning on taking a Disney cruise to Alaska or the Caribbean in 2012, but maybe we will switch gears and come see the new Aulani Resort!!!

James on July 22nd, 2010 at 9:58 pm

This place will be amazing. I’ve read some reports about Disney being unoriginal for building a Hawaiian themed hotel in Hawaii, but there really aren’t any that I can think of, so good for Disney!

Connie from AZ on July 22nd, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Are there any plans to have a cruise ship component connected with Aulani?

Milena on July 22nd, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I am very excited! I have been wondering if you knew how/who I can contact for a job opportunity at the Aulani Resort? I live on Oahu and close to Ko’Olina so it would be perfect!

Gayle from IN on July 23rd, 2010 at 9:21 am

Please tell us Disney Cruise Line will be headed to Hawaii in 2012!

Susana on July 23rd, 2010 at 10:20 am

I am looking forward to booking next year along with my parents. Hawaii has been a life long dream for them and Disney Aulani will allow for my family to celebrate their anniversary there.

Donna on July 23rd, 2010 at 11:07 am

Oh I just can’t think of a better combination than Hawaii and Disney!! Just can’t WAIT to visit!

Alyssa on July 23rd, 2010 at 11:12 am

I live in Hawaii and I crave going to Disneyland more than anything! Although the Aulani isn’t the theme park, I am so thrilled that a little Disney magic will be brought here~ Also, Manoa Valley is one of my favorite places to hike so I can’t wait to see what the Menehune adventure will be like!

John McClintock on July 23rd, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Right now, the focus is on construction of the Resort, but a few select positions are available. You can find out about current openings by visiting http://www.Disneycareers.com, keyword: Hawaii. The Web site will be updated as more positions become available. The majority of Aulani employment opportunities will begin posting early next year.

Alfred on July 25th, 2010 at 11:51 am

We’re homeowners next door at the Beach Villas and it’s been fun watching our new neighbor go up.

They were stuccoing the exterior of their building last week.

Disney has embraced Hawaii taking time to understand and become part of our local culture. They will put Ko Olina on the map. My brother and sister live in Anaheim and go to Disneyland it seems like once a week.

It will be nice to find out what amenities and activities will be available for purchase by both Kama’aina’s and guests staying at other properties.

Shaun on July 25th, 2010 at 3:43 pm

When will the DVC point charts be released for this resort?

Kathryn on July 27th, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Beautiful I am ready to go!
Kathryn

Allison from CA on July 27th, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Thank God for Disney Vacation Club…. yes we WILL be staying here in the future! :)

Kimberly from OR on July 28th, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Want to go so bad but am concerned about the price. Are there prices posted yet for the rooms? Does anyone have any idea on what a night will run?

MICHELLE on August 21st, 2010 at 9:21 am

When will the DVC point chart be avalible?