Disneyland Paris, Phantom Manor

‘Captain EO’ Returns to Walt Disney World

posted on July 2nd, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Jaymes Gabourel (left) and Andrea Smith (right) attend one of the first showings July 2, 2010 of the “Captain EO” 3-D film at Epcot

It’s here — the classic 3-D film experience “Captain EO” has officially returned to the Walt Disney World Resort and you can already hear people humming the tunes around Epcot. Jaymes Gabourel and Andrea Smith, (pictured, above) were part of a group of early risers who got to see the first shows at the park this morning.

“Captain EO” will be now presented multiple times a day at the Imagination Pavilion at Epcot. So, who’s coming to see it?

Filed: Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Tricia on July 2nd, 2010 at 5:55 pm

We’ll be there in 10 days and can’t wait to see EO!

Greg on July 2nd, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Can’t wait to see this show. I wanted to go to Disneyland but didn;t make t.

Taylor from GA on July 2nd, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I’m soooo exited to see captain EO! im a HUGE Michael Jackson fan so i’ve been wanting to see this for a long time. :D

Debra on July 2nd, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I can’t wait to see Captain EO again after all these years. Be there in 34 days.

Erin from FL on July 2nd, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I hope it’s still there in November! We’ll be there if it is! Yay! So excited!

Cindy on July 2nd, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Me, I’ll be there in 71 days!!!!

Michael from PA on July 2nd, 2010 at 7:42 pm

How long will this attraction be running for? Is it back just for a limited time appearance?

Neula on July 2nd, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I remember when it first came out when I was a kid. I never would have thought then that I would be going to see it at Disney so many years later! :)

Amy from NJ on July 2nd, 2010 at 8:21 pm

My friends and I will be there in November and can’t wait to see it!

Donna from VA on July 2nd, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Loved it when it was a DL and can’t wait to see it this summer. Have seen some of it on You Tube. It was great.

Janis on July 2nd, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Please tell me that this will be at Epcot thru next summer! I saw this when it originally opened and many times during its run. I want to be able to see it again.

Samuele from FL on July 2nd, 2010 at 10:51 pm

I’ve seen the movie 4 times on July 1st for the Annual Passholders’ preview!!!

Debra from FL on July 2nd, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Saw it yesterday, July 1… with my granddaughter! I remember seeing it with my Grandmother!
Love it.. saw it 2 more times today!
Love Michael and Captain EO.
It was fun to see how many people had NO idea what the show was, but came out smiling and singing!
Will be going back soon!
“We’re Sendin’ Out
A Major Love
And This Is Our
Message To You”……

barbara on July 2nd, 2010 at 10:52 pm

My girls and I were lucky enough to see Captain EO on Thurs. Even better than we remembered it. It was as if everyone in the audience had a special connection to one another. I only wish my late husband was there to enjoy it with us. It was his favorite Disney creation.

David from NY on July 2nd, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Looking forward to seeing Captain EO again and being able to share it with our kids for the first time … trip just days away!

Allyson from MD on July 2nd, 2010 at 11:28 pm

I’ll be there on Sunday!!! So excited!!!!!!

Mark on July 3rd, 2010 at 12:20 am

I am coming tomorrow! I’m so excited!

Taryn from TX on July 3rd, 2010 at 2:52 am

We will be there in April and we CANNOT WAIT to see Captain EO! It one of my absolute favorite attractions as a kid and I was totally bummed when it was removed from the Disney line-up. My husband has never seen it and I can’t wait to share the experience with him! Thank you SO much for bringing Captain EO back!!! Michael would be so proud!

Jane from Cornwall on July 3rd, 2010 at 3:55 am

I am so thrilled that Captain E.O is finally back where it belongs, bringing joy to all that see it! I have such fond memories of watching it when I was young (it was the very 1st 3D film I’d ever seen!) & now I get to take my own children along to enjoy Michael Jackson as Captain E.O! Fantastic!!

Rebecca from OH on July 3rd, 2010 at 8:36 am

I haven’t seen how long this will be here. We are dying to see it and want to make sure our next vacation will be before it closes. Anyone know if this is temporary or has a set end-date?

Philip on July 3rd, 2010 at 10:19 am

Welcome back, Captain EO!

Robert on July 3rd, 2010 at 4:52 pm

One half of the yucky Imagination Institute gone – now can you please put back the old Imagination ride? With Figment and Dreamfinder?

Maria from Barcelona on July 3rd, 2010 at 6:02 pm

How long will this attraction be running for? I’ve been at Orlando Disney World about 20 times (being from Spain is not common but Disney is my place on the world, and I’ve been mum this year, so I’ll come back soon with my son), but the last on my honeymoon trip the Capitan EO wasn’t running, I would like to see it again!!!!

Justin on July 3rd, 2010 at 10:07 pm

I notice it’s just “Captain EO”, not “Captain EO Tribute.” Any differences?

Ted on July 4th, 2010 at 9:55 am

I saw Captain EO at Epcot yesterday… Quick review: I was very impressed with the video and audio quality given the age of the film. Someone in engineering went way overboard with the motion floor! Also, the ending seemed a bit anticlimactic without the lasers, as did the spaceship crash without the smoke and intro without the 3d star field effect. All in all, it was a good experience and certainly much better than no return at all! Thanks to the Disney folks for making this happen.

Sara on July 5th, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I will see it at Disneyland in exactly a month!!!

Jennifer from NY on July 5th, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I absolutely loved Captain EO. I was impressed with the quality of the show and the effects, and I’m so glad it was shown in its original form. I think a show of such quality like that should be there year-round! I actually prefer this show 100x more than Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

PATRICIA from NOTTS on July 6th, 2010 at 4:30 am

Already booked for September 2011, never saw Captain EO when it was on originally so and sooooo……. looking forward to seeing it next year, on the assumption that its still on!!! Oh please God.

Larisa on July 6th, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I remember seeing it at WDW when I was 8 years old!! JUst saw it aain at DL in May. I hope I can make it to WDW this year. :)

Laurie on July 6th, 2010 at 1:58 pm

We’ll be seeing it in December! Can’t wait!

Jackie from Hampshire on July 7th, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Yes, I am going at the end of August and I am 13 so am excited to see what it will be like, not a Michael Jackson fan though really and will miss seeing Honey I Shrunk The Audience when I go but I am not disagreeing with Captain EO at this stage, I don’t really know what to expect though…

Julie on July 7th, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Saw it when I was a kid, and now thanks to Disney bringing it back I got to share it with my children on the 27th of June, I loved it when I was a kid and they loved it so much we had to watch it again! Thanks for bringing it back!!!!

Philip on July 10th, 2010 at 8:38 am

I also must say that with the return of Captain EO, the summer overlay to the Tower of Terror, the Electrical Parade’s comeback and new fireworks at Magic Kingdom, I hope that this is an indication of WDW becoming more willing to do seasonal overlays to their classic attractions.

If these can be taken as good signs that WDW will finally bring back the Country Bear Xmas and Vacation shows, add things like It’s a Small World Holiday (which I hope will be installed during the ride’s rehab this fall) and Haunted Mansion Holiday and bring back previously cut-back Xmas season offerings (the Country Bear Xmas show, Lights of Winter, Mickey’s Tree-Lighting Treat, etc.), a lot of us would be EXTREMELY happy.

Please don’t let us down, WDW…

Barbara on July 21st, 2010 at 5:06 pm

It’s really thrilling to see so many people are excited about the return of Captain EO!!!
I’m an annual passholder for Disneyland Park in California and I do not leave the park without seeing Captain EO!! I usually visit at least once every other month!!
I had heard comments from viewers that appeared to be in the age range of 16-22 who expressed this 3-D film does not compare to what they are use to seeing today and even with that they like this attraction and hope it stays around for a long time to come!
A friend who is visiting family right now in Alabama are planning to visit Disney World Florida this weekend just to see Captain EO!! Thanks Disney for keeping this treasure alive in our hearts and minds!!!

Yoly on July 21st, 2010 at 7:21 pm

When will we have it shown in the HK Disney Park?

Jackie on July 25th, 2010 at 6:44 pm

My family is planning to go to Disneyworld this winter, and I hope Captain EO is still there. I remember seeing it as a kid, but I think I’d enjoy it much better now that I’m older, and have an appreciation for rock music.