Grizzly River Run

Disney’s Old Key West Resort Renovations Underway

posted on July 13th, 2010 by Michelle Baumann, Walt Disney World Public Relations

Disney’s Old Key West Resort
One of my favorite DVC Resorts (and the very first one on Disney property) Disney’s Old Key West Resort is getting a facelift. A major room refurbishment is underway that will make them feel fresh, more high tech and modern. I am psyched about the new flat–panel TVs, gorgeous granite countertops and the addition of a sleeper chair in the one and two bedroom villas. The rooms will feel brand new with comfy bedding and pillows, drapes, rugs, chairs, carpeting, lamps and furniture. It will take place building by building and I will get photos soon.

Filed: Disney Vacation Club, Hotels & Resorts, Walt Disney World Resort

Ed from AL on July 13th, 2010 at 10:50 am

As a dad of 3, I love the sleeper chairs in the Animal Kingdom Villas and Bay Lake Tower. 2 of my kids “fight” over who gets to sleep on the chair because it is so comfortable! I’m very glad that they are being included at Old Key West.

Michael from NY on July 13th, 2010 at 11:05 am

AllEars.net has photos of a refurbished 2 bdr at OKW

Daniel from NJ on July 13th, 2010 at 11:27 am

Let’s hope the aging rooms at the BoardWalk aren’t far behind.

Michael from AL on July 13th, 2010 at 11:31 am

I hope they don’t change the colors and look of OKW too much. I bought there because I LIKE the colors and the ambiance. High TECH is the Contemporary not OKW. Flat-panel TV’s are good, sleepeer chair is OK, I don’t really care about granite counter tops. The colors and design should still reflect Key West. I’ve seen some pictures on another web site, and I hope it looks better in person.

Phil on July 13th, 2010 at 11:33 am

I love Old Key West! It’s what my family and I call home. We always make a trip to the Gurgling Suitcase for a Pina Colada, that’s how we know we’re on vacation :)

Will the refurbishments occur to all the rooms at Old Key West or just the one and two bedroom villas?

Joseph from IL on July 13th, 2010 at 11:34 am

As a DVC Member, I’m so impressed by how well cared for the DVC resorts are. I’ll be interested to see pictures of the newly refurbished OKW rooms.

Ed from NH on July 13th, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Looks good, My wife and I liked our stay there very much we just hope they are redoing the bathrooms to make them a little more Handicap friendly as they did when they renovated the Polynesian.

Rebecca from MA on July 13th, 2010 at 12:33 pm

That is so exciting! We will be down in September and I hope that most of the renovations will be done by then so that we don’t miss out.

Patricia from LA on July 13th, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Member since 1995. OKW is our home resort and we love it. Can wait to see the new pics.

C Michael from PA on July 13th, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I hope they take out one of the queen beds in the Studio units & replace it with a queen sleeper sofa like in the Studios at all of the other DVC resorts. That’s the one thing I dislike about OKW Studios & OKW is my home resort.

david from IL on July 13th, 2010 at 12:44 pm

have they already started ? I will be there in a few weeks and could really use that extra sleeper chair

Nancy from FL on July 13th, 2010 at 12:48 pm

OKW is our “home” resort; looking forward to the upgrades and refurbished rooms; keep the Key West ambiance, though, please!

Amber from PA on July 13th, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I just received photos from my sister, who checked in this morning, of the new look. Is there any way to post them so you guys can see the OKW facelift?

Patricia from NJ on July 13th, 2010 at 12:49 pm

We are going to OKW in Novemebr for the first time!
We hare getting a 2 bedroom.
Gonna definatly go to get a pina colada thanks for the tip!

Haley from NB on July 13th, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Any idea when the refurb will be completed?

Deidre on July 13th, 2010 at 1:04 pm

We love Old Key West. It needed an upgrade. We will be going in September and hope we get one of the rooms. So happy when they got a pool lift finally this year.

lisa on July 13th, 2010 at 1:06 pm

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at OKW and it was incredible! We still talk about the shrimp and conch eggs benedict at Olivia’s :)

susan on July 13th, 2010 at 1:23 pm

We love old key west and have gone there for the last 3 years. it feels more like a home from home than the other resorts we stayed in. It’ll be nice to see it getting a face lift as we’re going again in October. :)

Michele on July 13th, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I have seen some of the pictures and I’m not too happy. While I am sure that the laminate floor will be easier to maintain, it is going to create a lot more noise. Also the dark woods that have been used on the new kitchen tables, headboards and mirrors are not in keeping with the Key West feel of the place or the other furniture. I won’t get to see it in person til next summer :(

Carole from NJ on July 13th, 2010 at 1:28 pm

That is great! I wish they would add a small “food court” to OKW like the one at Saratoga Springs.

Dave on July 13th, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Any chance of adding some elevators for us old folks with bad knees? I realize it would be pretty hard to hide elevators in the current structures, but it sure would be nice.

Sara on July 13th, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Yey! Excited about the renovations – I think they’re kind of over due. We were there in May and not much had changed in about 8 years! Though we still love it there.

Corinne on July 13th, 2010 at 2:05 pm

We’re going to be at OKW (with Patricia from NJ evidently lol) in November. I called OKW and they are renovating the studios for those who may want to know. I did peruse the the picture of the new two-bedroom and I also feel that the changes aren’t as nice as before. I don’t like the dark wood in the bedroom, nor the furniture painted black and white. These really take away from the relaxing island feel. Personally, I’m a little bummed, but I’m hardly going to let it detract from my vacation or stay at OKW.

Susan from FL on July 13th, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I agree with some of the other posters-the dark woods in the rooms now do not fit with an Old Key West feel-I’ve been to Key West and it’s light and airy. The dark wood used here now remind me more of a country feel or maybe even a Spanish influence. All very nice but not Key West. I do love the blue and sandy tones, though. We loved staying at OKW and hope to go there again someday. The sleeper chair is a great idea. And I’m certainly glad to see the new carpet.

Kimberly on July 13th, 2010 at 3:06 pm

W were just there over the 4th of July and no renovations had started yet in the 5600′s. Had a blast and the resort was so welcoming. Guess we’ll have to go back next year..:)

Cynthia from ME on July 13th, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Love OKW…Brought my sister there on her first trip to Disney…Hopefully the updates won’t make it too popular..I love the atmosphere there..more adult and less hectic…

Linda from NJ on July 13th, 2010 at 3:15 pm

OKW Is also our home—we bought in 1995. We stayed there our 1st two visits, but my family prefers the Boardwalk (although I agree that the rooms need a facelift!) We like the location of the Boardwalk, the restaurants, and all the excitement that it has to offer. Last year, we stopped by OKW for a drink, and yes, the Pina Coladas are awesome!!!!

Kristen on July 13th, 2010 at 4:02 pm

We have stayed @ OKW one time and loved it!!! I hope the updates don’t take away from the tropical feel of OKW. They need to update the counter food options there!!! I agree the Pina’s are great!!! We are looking at staying there again soon. My kids love AKV my husband loves BCV (our home resort)

Brian from KS on July 13th, 2010 at 4:43 pm

This is great news! Hopefully my fiancée and I will get one of the renovated one bedroom villas when we stay at OKW for our wedding in December. :)

Nicole from WI on July 13th, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I like the new look of the OKW villas. I didn’t care for the look before. But that is what is great about DVC, there are different themed resorts, so choose a different one.

Oh and for those complaining about BWV’s needing renovation, they were renovated last year. I was there during part of the renovation.

Gary from NY on July 13th, 2010 at 7:54 pm

It is about time. It really was overdo. What about the bathrooms were they done as well. They could sure use it

Michele from NJ on July 13th, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I love Old Key West – I hope they don’t make the rooms smaller – they are palatial compared to the Boardwalk and some other newer DVC resorts.

Mark on July 13th, 2010 at 10:32 pm

My family of four (two teen boys) just spent a week at Old Key West DVC. Our first time there. We loved it! We had a great 2-bedroom on a second floor overlooking a green of the LBV golf course. We were amazed at the spaciousness and layout of the kitchen. The size of the balcony/patio was fantastic with more than enough room for us to have dinner outside. While you could tell the resort needed updating, it will only improve it. I would HIGHLY recommend this resort to anyone.

Linda from NSW on July 14th, 2010 at 8:15 am

OKW is our home resort. We are staying in September/October. This will be our first trip to the resort on our membership so we are looking forward to it. Will the refurbishments be finished by September?

Will there still be two queen/double beds in the second room of the 2 bedroom units?

we will certainly be looking forward to the comfy beds after 30 hours flying.

Christopher on July 14th, 2010 at 10:25 am

Do you know when the renovations will start? My wife and I are visiting OKW in mid-October.

Adam on July 14th, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Very exciting! We will be there in a few months. I would love to see more pics and a timeline.

Michelle on July 14th, 2010 at 4:47 pm

My family and I love Old Key West! We have stayed there in a 2 bedroom multiple times and have always loved the sizes of the villas and the beautiful bright and cheery decor. The only small disappointments have been the dated sofas and living room tv. We have loved everything else and hope that with the renovations that Disney keeps the light decor and the Old Key West feel. It truly is one wonderful resort that my family likes to call home!

Laura from NY on July 14th, 2010 at 6:23 pm

We love OKW though we aren’t DVC members. If we ever bought into DVC, it would be at OKW. The rooms are bigger, the studios have queen beds, and it’s such a great escape from the hustle and bustle of the parks while still maintaining the Disney vibe. I really hope they don’t “downgrade” the studios to double beds; having the larger beds you can’t find in most (or any) of the other WDW resorts with two beds has always been a plus for us.

Paul on July 16th, 2010 at 9:34 pm

What renovations are they making to the Studios? We have been members at OKW since 1995 and love the 1 BR’s, but since it is usually just my DW and me now, we almost always stay at a studio. It would be great for us if they would replace the second queen bed with a sleeper sofa as they have at VB DVC.

Daniel on July 19th, 2010 at 2:47 pm

We’ve been going to OKW for many years. Our first purchase was in February 1992 and we love it there. I have two questions.

Does the addition of a sleeper chair in the one-bedroom mean it can now sleep five guests instead of four?

Flat screen TV doesn’t necessarily mean a better picture. The quality of the picture will only improve if the cable input has a digital component added so you can see it in HD. Will the cable include HDTV?

Paul on July 19th, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Are the OKW studios being renovated as well? When are the renovations scheduled to be completed?

Donald from OH on July 28th, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Our family has stayed at OKW several times since becoming members in 2003. We celebrated Christmas there in 2007 and it was perfect!

I, too, am a little worried about the laminate flooring throughout the great room. It certainly wouldn’t have been as friendly for the family opening gifts…however my son would have loved rolling matchbox cars across it. :-)

It has been a wonderful place to stay even though we Beach Club Villas is our home. We will be back!

elaine from shropshire on July 31st, 2010 at 7:26 pm

hi will the studios be complete for september 11th

Holly on August 10th, 2010 at 4:28 am

Hi, i go to Dsney on the 26th and we still dont know which rooms have been finished. we are staying in a one bedroom villa on OKW i was just wondering does anyone know where is done or when certain places will be done? this will be a great help, thanks!