Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Walt Disney Stands in Front of a Christmas Tree in his Studio Office

Haunted Mansion Inspires New Movie by The Walt Disney Studios and Guillermo del Toro

posted on July 22nd, 2010 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

Have you heard the news? One of your top five favorite Disneyland park attractions is the focus of a new film from The Walt Disney Studios.

The original Disneyland park attraction, the Haunted Mansion, that debuted in August of 1969 has now inspired a new film for The Walt Disney Studios by well-known filmmaker Guillermo del Toro. A new piece of artwork was also unveiled by the Studios and is featured below.
Haunted Mansion Logo
Announced at Comic-Con today, del Toro surprised thousands of fans with the news. In speaking about the new project, del Toro said, “I couldn’t be more excited to be a part of my own adaptation of the original theme park attraction Walt envisioned and that remains- for me- the most desirable piece of real estate in the whole world!”

Rich Ross, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, remarked “Millions of people from around the world visit The Haunted Mansion each year, but no one has ever had a tour guide like Guillermo del Toro. Guillermo is one of the most gifted and innovative filmmakers working today and he is going to take audiences on a visually-thrilling journey like they’ve never experienced before.”

What do you think of this exciting news?

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Matthew on July 22nd, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I am excited to hear the news but at the same time don’t want to get my hopes up.

Lizz on July 22nd, 2010 at 7:58 pm

I am really really hoping it’s better than the Other Haunted Mansion movie. Del Toro is good. So we’ll see.

Cory from AB on July 22nd, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Haunted Mansion always struck me as the kind of thing that would be good in stop-motion produced by Tim Burton. Or in traditional animation, once it popped up here and there in Princess and the Frog and in House of Mouse. I’m a little guarded about this (once bitten, twice shy) but remain hopeful!

Cory
Voyage Extraordinaires: Scientific Romances in a Bygone Age

Tim on July 22nd, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I have had the previlege to have had a “walk” tour of the entire attraction when I was a cast member at Disneyland. Of all the attractions that I had a “walk” through after hours, the Haunted Mansion was the most fascinating. Many people do not know the backstory of the attraction. The house was owned by the murderous sea Captain Gore, better known as Captain Blood. (That’s why there is a ship on the weather-vane atop the house.) His bride to be found out about who he truly was on their wedding day, and refused to marry him and was set to leave. Captain Gore killed her with a hatchet, then out of guilt, hung himself in the attic. The bride, although wouldn’t marry him, still loved him, and that’s why there used to be a bride in the attic scene with a still beating heart…beating for the love of her groom. There is a portrait of the groom in the “hall of knocking doors” at the attraction in Disneyland. It is an oval-shaped frame with a full body painting of a goul with a bloody-hatchet in one hand and a noose around his neck. That is Captain Gore. Hopefully, Del Toro will follow this storyline. We all know it will be much creepier than the Eddie Murphy fiasco!

Josh on July 22nd, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I would love to see a film based on the darker story of the Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris . . . it focuses more on the bride and her would-be husband!

Linda on July 22nd, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Hope this one is better than the last one. I love Eddie Murphy and the special effects were good, but the story line was just lacking. Perhaps it was because it came out after the awesomeness of the Pirates of the Caribbean and couldn’t match up to it. Still excited and hope it’s a good one!

Matt on July 22nd, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I cannot wait for this movie! While I have to agree, the original movie was a letdown, it had the potential to be great. I’m really hoping since Guillermo del Toro is a big fan of the original ride, we might get a film that ties the stories of all the haunted mansions together. They truly some great things that can be woven together, bride w/ broken heart, hat box ghost, The “Ghost Host” himself. I’m hoping this movie will be as immersive as the attraction, and I’m hoping that it’ll be dark… with no fake looking zombies, or sequels…please!

Linda on July 22nd, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Just a suggestion…base the story on the serial bride in the attic! My son wouldn’t sit on the side of the bride for the longest time and even though he was 22 the last time we were there together 3 years ago, he still wouldn’t sit there, I think just out of habit. This has to be one of the scariest elements of the ride. I don’t know how you would make it “kid friendly” though. :)

Annette on July 22nd, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I have been looking forward to this (concept) ever since the last Haunted Mansion movie came out. While I love Eddie Murphy, I was not looking for a comedy about the Mansion. I really wanted it to be true to the Mansion – creepy, haunting, ghoulish. I’m hopeful and excited to see how the story will be interpreted this time! Please, make it worthy of the attraction that we all know and love!!

Todd from CA on July 22nd, 2010 at 9:59 pm

The Haunted Mansion is my favorite attraction at the park along with the Matterhorn Bobsleds. If they can do this story justice and actually scare it up a little I will be a very happy camper!!! Bring on the Hatbox Ghost, Constance the attic bride and the Gracey family saga. This story begs to be told!! Go Disney!!

Michelle from NJ on July 22nd, 2010 at 10:23 pm

OMG!!!!! I am just in awe & can not wait!!!! HM is my all time favorite ride & I’m sure this will be GREAT!!!!

Todd from OH on July 22nd, 2010 at 10:40 pm

We have been waiting for the right interpretation seemingly forever – stories can be re-told and ‘corrected’ – THANK YOU!!- if done correctly, you could tell any number of ‘tales of the’ Haunted Mansion! It happened with Pirates, now let the next big thing come from the Mansion!!

Antonia from AK on July 22nd, 2010 at 10:59 pm

really hope this time around the movie will be a GREAT one. While I enjoyed the Eddie Murphy one well enough I thought it was cheap tricks and really didn’t follow the story of the ride or pay tribute to the ride. Just happened to share teh same name.

Thanks for the info! Will look forward to reading about the progression of this film!

Karen from MA on July 22nd, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Awesome news – can’t wait to see this movie! Disney & Guillermo del Toro is a great partnership for a Haunted Mansion movie.

Shannon from NV on July 23rd, 2010 at 12:22 am

Please, please, please leave the rides as is. The new Pirates is tolerable, but I would be devastated if anything changed in the HM.

Scarlett on July 23rd, 2010 at 12:33 am

I am stoked!!!

Tim from CA on July 23rd, 2010 at 1:10 am

I love the Haunted Mansion. It’s the same age as I am! LOVE the Ghost Host spiel! Just hope it doesn’t go “overboard” with stuff that doesn’t relate to the ride’s storyline.

Matt from WA on July 23rd, 2010 at 1:24 am

This is exciting. I really like the previous movie, watch it at least every Halloween. But another one will be great. And if another director wants to take a stab at it (pun intended) a few years later, that’s fine with me as well.

John on July 23rd, 2010 at 1:45 am

Fantastic news! Finally homage will be paid to the best dark ride in the world. Eddie Murphy version had its moments but Del Toro’s imagination combined w/ Disney’s will make this awesome!

Aleesah on July 23rd, 2010 at 2:04 am

I am very excited for this to be released! But after reading the article and people’s comments, I’m a bit confused. Is this going to be a fictional movie kind of like the previous one or is it to be more of a documentary of sorts on the ride? Either way I’m sure it’s going to be great!

Steven from FL on July 23rd, 2010 at 3:22 am

I have mixed feelings on it to be honest. But if De Toro can get it right then I’ll be happy.

Keep us updated.

Fernando from no on July 23rd, 2010 at 3:49 am

In a way reminds me of the Hulk movies issue… the first one apparently was really bad and public was not happy with it and then , they made a second one much more appealing… seems with Hunted Mansion new movie they will repeat the same and who knows if they will launch a new franchaise of the Hunted Mansion with Guillermo del Toro’s involvement. Let’s don’t forget there are few ” Huntede Houses ” across the globe, few in Asia, one in Europe, two in the US…

patrick on July 23rd, 2010 at 6:07 am

Wooooooowwww!!! This is the most exciting news i heard in a long time! Bring it on!!!! :W

Kevin on July 23rd, 2010 at 7:47 am

This is very exciting — I always thought the Haunted Mansion movie should have a little “edge” to it; it should be cool! :)

Jeni Lynn on July 23rd, 2010 at 8:42 am

This news is really thrilling. I have long thought that the Haunted Mansion ride movie needed a do-over (as does The Tower of Tower). While my kids and I were entertained some by the Eddie Murphy version, it really didn’t capture the feel of the attraction at all. For example, Madam Leota being set up as a comical character was a gross mistake. When you are in the seance room of the attraction, Leota is not a wise-cracking personality. These things make the Eddie Murphy film feel completely disconnected from the loved attraction. I look forward to seeing a film that captures the essence of the attraction (which is a creepiness without gore).

Jerry Bruckheimer and his story writers not only did justice to the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, they enhanced it. I actually enjoy the attraction more as a result of the plot that I now associate with the ride. I do hope that this new venture with Haunted Mansion will do this as well.

JL
The Disney Driven Life

Andrea from AL on July 23rd, 2010 at 9:26 am

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS TO COME OUT OF COMICON SO FAR! I am so excited that we’ll finally get to put that horrible film with Eddie Murphey behind us! : D

Debra on July 23rd, 2010 at 12:05 pm

As a fan of del Toro and how he realized the Hellboy universe, not mention Pan’s Labyrinth, I’m confident he will work his own magic on the Haunted Mansion. And as a fan of the Haunted Mansion, I cannot wait to see him work with the blend of the fantastical, the fun, and the slightly scary that is one of Disney’s best attractions. (Oh, and let’s not forget about his interest in the Hatbox Ghost!)

Debra
Disney Travel Examiner

Tisa on July 23rd, 2010 at 12:42 pm

The Haunted Mansions is by far my fav attraction, in the world. When the first movie came out, it looked so campy, I refused to watch it. That still holds true to this day. I am SO freakin excited del Toro is heading up this new project, he did such an amazing job with Pans Labyrinth. It was flawless.

Sarah from ON on July 23rd, 2010 at 1:23 pm

As a huge fan of the Haunted Mansion (top priority ride when I am at Magic Kingdom) this is so exciting! This is probably going to be the only movie that I purchase my tickets before hand.

I can not wait, and know that this movie will be (to me) a Disney Masterpiece. Keep them coming! :)

Hopefully, a future Disney employee.

David on July 23rd, 2010 at 1:24 pm

It would be nice to see a tribute to Thurl Ravenscroft, who is both a head and a voice in the Haunted Mansion. Here is a guy that did so much for Disney and people would recognize his voice but not the face.

alexandra from FL on July 23rd, 2010 at 1:32 pm

i thought they already made a haunted mansion movie with Eddie Murphy in 2003? why are they making another one? is it like a sequel or something?

Kimberly on July 23rd, 2010 at 1:56 pm

My favorite ride deserves a fitting tribute movie. The last effort was a bit lack-luster so I have my fingers crossed. Awesome!

Sara on July 23rd, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I loved the first movie, I thought it was very creative! I can’t wait for the new one especially since its going to be the story of the ride!!!

Terry on July 23rd, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I am very excited for the news. I was so disappointed that the Haunted Mansion did not receive the respect that Pirates did when developing the attraction to film. While some of the elements were fun, not an extreme amount of the attraction was incorporated and, while Jennifer Tilly did her best, Madame Leota deserved a much more somber tone and unfortunately was played for laughs. Also, Guillermo has brought us many amazing films and I am definitely intrigued.

Diane from PA on July 23rd, 2010 at 6:21 pm

We liked the movie with Eddy Murphy. I am anxious to see what Guillermo del Toro does with it but hope he doesn’t make it too dark.

Jeffrey from NY on July 23rd, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I am a huge HM fan…but c’mon. Disney already blew their opportunity to make a decent movie out of it. What’s next? A Country Bears remake???

anne on July 23rd, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Ive got goose bumps! Really excited about this!

Nicole on July 23rd, 2010 at 9:09 pm

I am so excited about the movie too. I didn’t see the Eddie Murphy version, but haven’t heard great things. I am hoping this one will be a little darker
This is one of my favourite rides at Disneyland!!!!

Lisa from NC on July 24th, 2010 at 12:14 am

Yes!!!! I have been waiting for this! the one with eddie murphy was mediocre at best, The haunted Mansion has been my favorite ride since day one of my very first visit in 1990. I would live there if i could lol. I even have the haunted mansion sound track on recored. I could do a happy dance over this I hope its awesome

Mitchell on July 24th, 2010 at 1:18 am

This is FANTASTIC news! As a lifelong “Disney Kid” my favorite ride has always been the Mansion and as the years past, my appreciation of the attraction has only continued to grow. Del Toro is the Best choice of directors for this new movie. I knew Disney could do so much better than the first one!

Ken from TN on July 24th, 2010 at 11:57 am

I’m super excited to hear about the new film! As far as the Magic Kingdom goes the Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite rides! The Eddie Murphy movie was ok but I belive with Guillermo del Toro at the healm of this one its going to be even better! I’ve been a huge Disney fan ever since I was a kid and seeing the attractions come to life on the big screen is so awesome! Thank you Disney Studios for agreeing to do a new film! I will be there opening night! And just remember: BEWARE OF HITCH HIKING GHOSTS!!!! haha

Janet on July 24th, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I agree wasnt this already DONE?? and VERY TERRIBLY TO BOOT? unless they actually are going to go the ACTUAL PLOT of the haunted mansion i believe the wife killed herself when she found out her husband was a pirate and then he hung himself when he discovered her dead…not totally sure…but can someone clear this up for me?

Elizabeth from VA on July 26th, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Can anyone tell me why there isn’t more HM-related merchandise? They could do SO much with a gift shop at WDW, instead they only have that dinky cart. Weren’t there plans at some point to house a gift shop in the HM? I forget if they have an actual gift shop in Disneyland…

Katherine on July 26th, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Its funny that some people say don’t change the ride – it has many changes, from Floating Madame Leotards, to The Bride, to Haunted Mansion Holiday. Here is a chance to return one of the original element of the Hatbox Ghost! I recently went to WDW and saw the fantastic changes o the mansion there. DLR’s mansion might consider the endless staircase in the loading area where the strange soul abyss sits as a misunderstood area of seemingly empty space.

Victor on July 27th, 2010 at 7:03 am

As everyone may know, at the D23 Expo last year, Disney announced that del Toro would be producing a series of movies based on a new concept called “Disney Double Dare You”. What better way to begin this series of spooky, but family friendly films than Haunted Mansion. As Ms.Toombs states, “Do not forget to bring your death certificate!”

Jeffrey from UT on July 27th, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I am glad they are redoing it. The Mansion in the movie should look like the origional Disneyland version. The ghosts should be living there since that is what Walt built it for. There should be a tribute to Walt in the movie since it was the last project that he had a small hand in. I do know he was alive when the facade, stretching room, changing portraits and ball room were designed. Hooray for the hat box ghost. And yes I hope this movie makes it big enough so that disneyland will attempt to put him back in. I know back in 69 that it looked cheesy but with it beeing 2010 and the imagineers being so brilliant they could use current technology or create something new to make it look awesome.

Jeffrey from UT on July 27th, 2010 at 10:43 pm

If your a true fan of the disneyland version of the ride you would want a redo of this movie.

Maggie from OH on July 28th, 2010 at 12:34 pm

My first thought, like others, was that there was already a Haunted Mansion movie, but it sounds like this might be different. I enjoyed the first movie, it was a cute family flick, but I would be thrilled to see a more serious film based on one of my very favorite rides. I am excited by this news & hope we won’t be waiting for years to see it.

Emily on July 29th, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I actually loved the original movie too (please don’t be mad at me…though it was pretty much entirely the singing busts and Madame Leota that I liked, not the main characters!), but I have a feeling this new one is going to kick some serious behind. :D

Monica on August 5th, 2010 at 11:55 pm