Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Happy Holidays at Disneyland Park

New Character Experience, ‘it’s a small world’ Update at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on July 30th, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Before we dive into the weekend, there are a few quick updates to share out of Magic Kingdom Park to end the week. First is a new character experience — a “play and greet” with characters Rapunzel and Flynn Rider at the park’s Fairytale Garden. Beginning Friday, October 15, you’ll be able to interact with both of the stars from the upcoming Disney film “Tangled.”

The Rapunzel and Flynn Rider experience will replace the current show, “Storytime with Belle” at Fairytale Garden. The final “Storytime with Belle” show will be September 12.

And some of you may have already heard about some downtime scheduled for “it’s a small world.” The attraction will be closed for refurbishment this Sunday, August 1 through Friday, October 22.

We’ll post more details on both of these updates in the future. And now, let’s start the weekend.

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Sandra on August 2nd, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I’m sad that my girls won’t get to do Storytime with Belle on our upcomg trip, but many people felt this was coming b/c of the Fantasyland expansion. The plans for the expansion do include the following “join Belle in an enchanting story performance in the Beast’s castle library” -so most people speculated the current storytime offering wasn’t long for this world. I guess we’ll all just be waiting until 2013 for the new Belle story feature. Now I’m really glad I booked both Akershus and Cinderella’s Royal Table- since Belle is definitely a must see character.

Eva from NY on August 2nd, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I am coming to Disneyworld in October and bringing my children and grandchildren. It will be the first visit for my grandchildren and I am so dissapointed that Its a small world will be closed. We have been talking about going on it since we started planning our trip.

Caitlin on August 3rd, 2010 at 9:00 am

I know that so far they’re not suppose to add Disney characters to Small World, but is there any chance? I’ve watched different videos online, and it was so well done in California. I don’t think it took away from the ride at all. Besides, change is good :)

Emily on August 3rd, 2010 at 9:22 am

What a bummer for me! I missed “It’s a Small World” on the very day that it closed for renovations!

Sharon on August 4th, 2010 at 12:47 pm

PLEASE reconsider the closing of StoryTime with Belle! She is my daughter’s fav princess and the setting was great–so initimate. I realize that there is a new movie to promote but must we lose all the old favorites? Two years ago it was Pocahontas, now this! Put Raponzul over in the Studios in place of Narnia–that movie has run its course.

Leslei on August 6th, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Is there anything being planned to have the “Tangled” characters in Disneyland? Maybe with some dates? We will be down there in late October and would LOVE to meet Rapunzel! :)

Susan on August 8th, 2010 at 10:23 am

So sad that we won’t get to see IASW. This is our first trip with our kids and we’ve been telling them all about that ride. Bummer! Personally I think adding Disney characters will take away from some of the ride’s magic. You were truly taken to some magical place, and stream of consciousness, during that ride that the sight of familiar characters will interrupt! :)

alexa from christ church on August 11th, 2010 at 4:33 am

Oh no, oh no, oh no….. this is very bad news, we will be coming with our 4 children all under the age of 7 next week and one of the main attractions that my girls are looking forward to is “It’s a small world”…………….. My oldest daughter sang the song for her school recital and will be heart broken now!!!
I wish that I could say that we’ll get to see it another time, but that’s probably not gonna happen anytime soon!!

SUSAN from VT on August 15th, 2010 at 7:09 pm

What?? How long is the Small World going to be closed…My granddaughter is so looking forward to seeing it. We will be at the WDW park October 20. Please tell me is will be open by then