Via Napoli Restaurant, Italy Pavilion at Epcot

Starting the Disney Dream Engines

posted on July 30th, 2010 by Christi Erwin Donnan, Manager of Public Affairs, Disney Cruise Line

Starting the Engines on the Disney Dream
A major milestone was achieved for the Disney Dream this week when testing began on the ship’s five engines at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Germany. Several months ago, the engines were installed on the ship, and this week the team at the yard started the engines for the first time!

Talk about powerful … The five engines combined have a total output of 103,000 horsepower, which will give the ship a top speed of 23.5 knots.
Starting the Engines on the Disney Dream
At 128,000-tons and 14-decks tall, the magnificent Disney Dream continues to take shape. This initial test begins several months of engine testing, which will continue through the ship’s sea trials. With just 180 days until the maiden voyage on January 26, 2011, the excitement of each milestone continues to build as we approach the Disney Dream becoming a reality.

Filed: Disney Cruise Line

33 Comments 1 Reply

Paul from ON on July 30th, 2010 at 10:18 am

Hard to believe from what it looks like now that it will be ready in 180 days. My family will be boarding on March 31st, 2011 for our first ever cruise.

Christi Erwin Donnan on July 30th, 2010 at 5:57 pm

We too are excited about the upcoming launch of the Disney Dream and cannot wait to start welcoming all of you onboard!

Renee on July 30th, 2010 at 10:31 am

July 10th 2011 can’t come soon enough!!!!

Nancy on July 30th, 2010 at 10:32 am

I am so excited I booked a cruise on this ship for my husband 60th birthday June 4, 2011!

Taryn from TX on July 30th, 2010 at 11:08 am

Seeing the ship get closer and closer to completion, makes me realize how fast approaching April really is! I can’t wait for April 10, 2010 when my husband, my parents and I go on our first ever cruise – lucky enough to have it on the Magic!!!!!!

Cristina on July 30th, 2010 at 11:09 am

Can’t wait to go on the Dream.. It will be our first cruise! Hurry Hurry June 17th, 2011, get here soon !

dreama on July 30th, 2010 at 11:16 am

We are so excited – cannot wait for the April 3rd voyage!! Not only celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary bur our first cruise ever as well and on the Disney Dream!! It will be us our kids and my sister and Brother-in-law!! I cannot wait :)

Wayne on July 30th, 2010 at 11:25 am

Yahoo!! My wife, parents and I will all be doing a back to back cruise on the DREAM May 15-22 and cannot be more excited!

Mary from VA on July 30th, 2010 at 11:34 am

Yea!! We’ll be on the maiden voyage, January 26!!

James from NC on July 30th, 2010 at 11:42 am

We are booked on the Inaugural cruise in January!! I CAN”T WAIT!!! 8;-)

Ricky on July 30th, 2010 at 11:48 am

This ship appears 2B so cool… Still trying to convince my wife that we don’t need kids to cruise the dream (R kids aren’t kids anymore :)

Anne from IL on July 30th, 2010 at 11:50 am

Mary, we’re on the maiden voyage too! Love getting all these updates. Can’t wait!

Liam on July 30th, 2010 at 11:59 am

These are VERY old pictures of the ship, when the engines were only first going in.

The current construction of the ship can seen directly from the shipyards weekly updates.

Looking forward to going ourselves in a year from now! : )

Mia on July 30th, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Yes!! so excited too- can’t wait for spring break’s cruise on apr. 7!! just booked it yesterday, first ever cruise too! now i have 2 disney trips booked to look forward to (food & wine festival in october & the cruise in april!) 8:o)

Susan from IN on July 30th, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Can’t wait for January 26th!!! It will be our 12th Disney cruise! Can’t wait to see the new ship!

Jennifer from FL on July 30th, 2010 at 2:43 pm

SO EXCITED!!!! Can’t wait for February 17, 2011. Can’t wait to see and experience this BEAUTIFUL new ship!

Joan from IN on July 30th, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Can’t wait for the maiden voyage. We are so excited to be on the maiden voyage of the Disney Dream. What a dream come true!

Virginia from ON on July 30th, 2010 at 2:48 pm

We are so very excited to be going on our first cruise on May 5th aboard the Disney Dream. Booked it yesterday. I cannot wait!!!

judith from IN on July 30th, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Taking our kids and grandkids (13 plus us) on their 3rd Disney Cruise June 12th for 5 nights. Can hardly wait to see the new ship.

Carmen from TX on July 30th, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Can’t wait to go on the Dream or Fantasy. Just waiting for the 7+ day itineraries. However, we are taking the Wonder from Florida to California on the Panama Canal Cruise departing Jan. 6. So excited!!!

Ramona on July 30th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

This will be our second Disney Cruise and I can’t even hardly wait!! I am so excited. My husband, children, and I will be going on the cruise in September!!!

Lori on July 30th, 2010 at 3:50 pm

We will be on the maiden voyage….and I KNOW I’m more excited than any of the kids!! Can’t wait!!

Lori from OH on July 30th, 2010 at 4:01 pm

We will be there in February!! We taking the 4G’s cruise – - grandmother, mom, me and my daughter! Four girls – four generations!! Can’t wait!!

Peggy from WY on July 30th, 2010 at 4:06 pm

We board Disney Dream March 6!!! This will be our second disney cruise and am soooo… excited to sail again. Disney knows how to treat their guests to an awesome time.

Rena on July 30th, 2010 at 8:20 pm

I love watching the Dream take shape. We’re booked for the April 17th cruise. Can’t wait to ride the Aquaduck!!! This will be our second Disney Cruise. The first was on the Wonder, which was our first cruise ever, and Disney NEVER disappoints. I am soooooooo excited!!! Probably more than my 7 year old son & nephew!!!!

Bonnie from FL on July 30th, 2010 at 8:31 pm

We’ll be on the Dream on February 3! My first Disney cruise-very excited!

Sheri on July 31st, 2010 at 2:55 pm

We will be sailing with a bunch of families from church on September 4th, This will be my second Disney Cruise and we will be bringing our Grand daughter she will be five.

Wendy from PA on August 1st, 2010 at 10:42 am

We will be taking our twelth and thirteen cruise with disney doing back to back cruises on the disney dream leaving May 19th can’t wait to see the new ship it sounds so exciting. disney does know how to do it best.

Graig on August 1st, 2010 at 12:22 pm

This is great news I can’t wait! MouseWorldVacations.com has already booked lots of passengers on the Dream. They can book you too!

Leroy on August 1st, 2010 at 3:38 pm

My family cant wait for maiden Cruise we will be the first to sleep in a dream!

Arvella from NY on August 1st, 2010 at 11:52 pm

does anyone have any information on Diseny Land and Sea options? I see it’s not available on their webpage any longer? I want to stay at their resort a couple of days prior to my cruise on the Dream…

JAMES on August 3rd, 2010 at 3:15 am

What type of engines are they?

Angela from South Australia on August 5th, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Oh My Gosh!!! Mother and Daughter are coming from Down Under… South Australia!! First time ever in America and boarding the Dream on Feb 6 after an 8 day stay at Disney World…..I’m just BURSTING..can’t wait. See you soon Mickey xx

Kimberly from NY on August 6th, 2010 at 1:47 am

I’m getting married on the Dream in May!