Halloween at Walt Disney World Resort

Tinker Bell’s Nighttime Flight Turns 25

posted on July 2nd, 2010 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

If you head out to Magic Kingdom Park this weekend, you’ll have the chance to witness a milestone event in the theme park’s entertainment history – the 25th anniversary of Tinker Bell’s pre-fireworks flight.

After Magic Kingdom Park opened in 1971, many guests asked when and where they could see Tinker Bell take flight. At the time, Tinker Bell had been flying over Disneyland Park in California since the summer of 1961, coasting through the skies from the top of the Matterhorn and over Sleeping Beauty Castle, preceding the park’s Fantasy in the Sky fireworks show. But, she had yet to make an appearance in Florida.

It wasn’t until 1985 that guests at the Walt Disney World Resort finally got their wish and it was announced that Tinker Bell would perform her first flight at Magic Kingdom Park. The guest response was immediate and a crowd of more than 60,000 showed up to watch the fairy’s inaugural flight July 3, 1985.

Originally planned as a seasonal and holiday spectacle for our theme park, the response was so positive that Tinker Bell’s flight turned into a nightly event that continues to this day.

Tinker Bell currently makes her nightly appearance at the end of the Summer Nightastic! Fireworks Spectacular. In the middle of the fireworks, she appears near the top of Cinderella Castle and flies a distance of 850 feet into Tomorrowland. Her trip takes less than 30 seconds.

Tagged: , , , ,

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Lucinda on July 2nd, 2010 at 9:41 am

Tinker Bell’s flight gives me chills every time. We love to stand directly under her path near the Noodle Station. We miss you Tink…see you soon, I hope!! Happy Anniversary!

emily from SC on July 2nd, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Correction: for Summer Nightastic, Tink flies near the END of the fireworks. It is part of the fireworks’ storyline that she appears near the end. :)

Now, during Wishes, she flies near the beginning.

Gary from GA on July 2nd, 2010 at 12:27 pm

One of our favorite things each night at MK. I can remember after seeing this for 10 or so times when we finally were sitting over at Tomorrowland Terrace and the kids freaking out when they realized…”that’s a real person!!!!” They had always assumed audioanimatronics apparently…hehe

Ryan from West Midlands on July 2nd, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Bring Tinker Bell’s flight to Disneyland Paris!!!

Elizabeth on July 2nd, 2010 at 12:28 pm

TINK! forever young and forever Wonderful! Happy Anniversary!

ANNA from ON on July 2nd, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I remember our first trip to Disney World and how magical Tink’s flight was for me. I not only got the goosebumps when I saw Tink take flight, but had tears in my eyes. You don’t know magical until you see Tink take flight! Happy Anniversary Tink! See you in August!

Theresa from TX on July 2nd, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I agree with Lucinda! Gives me chills! It’s such a beautiful spectacle! See you soon, Tink!

V on July 2nd, 2010 at 1:08 pm

We were just at Disney World and enjoyed Tink’s flight twice. My children loved seeing it.

V on July 2nd, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Happy Anniversary Tink, and many more.

This reminded me of the opening of the TV show Wonderful World of Disney – wonderful memories.

Amalia on July 2nd, 2010 at 2:22 pm

One time when Tinkerbell was flying over us, a pair of Mickey ears seemed to magically drop from the sky. No one came looking for them, and to this day, my 16-year-old brother swears that they were a gift from Tink. Hey! Disney is magic!

Kristen from MD on July 2nd, 2010 at 2:31 pm

It is my favorite part, it brings tears to my eyes everytime, and is the last thing we do on the last night we are there. Even my three little boys love it.

Emily on July 2nd, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Amalia- so amazing! I love stories like that :)

I almost started crying watching the video. After I graduate high school I’m want to work at Disneyland as an actor; maybe I could be TinkerBell! That would be a dream come true!!

Lisa from VA on July 2nd, 2010 at 7:32 pm

One of my favorite things to do is watch Tinker Bell fly! Happy Anniversary, Tink.

I’m not sure though about her flying @ the end of the show. Tink has always flown @ the beginning. The firework show cannot begin without Tink’s flight. But, I will withold judgement until I see the new theme next week.

Jeffery from PA on July 8th, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Nice to see that even Disney can’t get a fireworks video without a kid on someones shoulders in front of them!

sherry on July 24th, 2010 at 5:54 pm