Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion Stretch Painting

Via Napoli Opens Next Month at Epcot

posted on July 8th, 2010 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

Pizzeria at Epcot’s Italy Pavilion
Pastas, wood-fired pizzas, scoops of sweet gelato – here’s a first look at the menu for the new Via Napoli Ristorante e Pizzeria at the Epcot Italy Pavilion. Opening next month the 300-seat restaurant expands dining choices (our favorite Tutto Italia stays). Created by the Patina Restaurant Group’s CEO Nick Valenti, the menu is based on his travels in Southern Italy and his time developing and overseeing the successful Naples 45 Ristorante e Pizzeria in New York. Valenti spent time in Naples studying the art of dough, crust, sauce and oven temperatures at the famous pizzerias Da Michele and Trianon. A feature at Via Napoli is its wood-burning ovens, cleverly named after the three active volcanoes in Italy – Mount Etna, Mount Vesuvius and Stromboli.

Appetizers: Sicilian eggplant with olives and raisins; salad of lettuce, fagiolini (string beans), fennel and tomatoes; arancini (fried saffron risotto balls) with meat ragù, mozzarella and pomodoro sauce; corn-crusted fried calamari; and minestrone with basil pesto. Or share a plate of arancini, mozzarella, calamari, portobella mushrooms, asparagus, zucchini and carciofi (artichokes).

Main course salads: Manzo (filet of beef) with greens, red onion, gorgonzola, apple and cucumber with a red wine-mustard vinaigrette; chopped salad with lemon chicken, greens, cantaloupe, cucumber, red pepper, green beans, onions, almonds and pasta crisps with honey-citrus vinaigrette; calamari with arugula, carrots and fennel with orange vinaigrette.

Pastas: candele (long, tube-shaped pasta) with sausage ragù; linguine with seafood; malfadine (ribbon pasta) with guanciale (unsmoked Italian bacon) and pomodoro sauce; lasagna verde.

Piatti alla Parmigiana: (dishes topped with Parmesan and mozzarella gratinée): veal, chicken and eggplant.

Wood-fired pizzas: made with caputo flour imported from Southern Italy, San Marzano tomatoes, handmade mozzarella and water from a local spring just like in Italy’s Campania region – 10-inch, 20-inch or 1/2 meter to share: a dozen choices, from a simple pizza Margherita with tomato, mozzarella and basil to carciofi with artichoke, potato, pecorino cheese, prosciutto and cantaloupe.

Sweets: tiramisù, zeppole di ricotta (ricotta cheese-fried dough, whipped cream and chocolate sauce); apple cake with almond sorbetti; gelatie; and vanilla gelato with almond cookies and amarena cherries.

Filed: Disney Dining, Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Spenser on July 8th, 2010 at 10:08 am

Will it be opened by the August 23rd?

Lou from FL on July 8th, 2010 at 10:12 am

As a recent New Jersey transplant looking for authentic Italian food in Florida, this menu sounds exciting and offers an interesting variety of items that remind me of things I enjoyed at my family’s dinner table.

Seeing rice balls and zeppole on the menu sealed the deal. When can I start lining up to get in? :)

Lou M
WDWRadio

Yamilee from FL on July 8th, 2010 at 10:17 am

Official Opening Date?

olivia on July 8th, 2010 at 10:19 am

Yummy! Will Via Napoli be on the Disney Dining Plan?

Pam Brandon on July 8th, 2010 at 11:14 am

Still finalizing details.

gregg from MA on July 8th, 2010 at 10:21 am

When in August? Will be there from the 6th to the 15th.

Sammi on July 8th, 2010 at 10:22 am

When will it begin accepting reservations?

Devin from FL on July 8th, 2010 at 10:24 am

when will they start accepting reservations? I just did a search for them on the ADR website and they are not coming up.

Pam Brandon on July 8th, 2010 at 10:36 am

August opening date not yet confirmed.

Devin from FL on July 8th, 2010 at 10:48 am

Thanks for the quick reply Pam. So once there is a firm opening date they’ll start taking reservations I assume.

Definitely looking forward to this. We loved the pizza and meal we had over at Naples Ristorante at Disneyland this past December…it’ll be great to have something similar here at WDW!

Pam Brandon on July 8th, 2010 at 11:15 am

Yes, once dates are firmed up, the rest will fall into place.

Bill on July 8th, 2010 at 11:12 am

I wonder if the pizza menu summary above means to say 10 inch, 12 inch and 1/2 meter rather than 10″, 20″ and 1/2m? A 20 inch pizza would by even larger than a half meter and mighty large! Then again, sounds good so maybe I’ll go for the large :-)

Hollis from MD on July 8th, 2010 at 11:30 am

I can’t wait to try this in December.

I hope that we will be able to make advanced ADRs for it. And knowing when we can start booking it is very important.

Nicholas from IN on July 8th, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Yes. I will be keeping my eye on this! Pam, will you be updating this post with the opening date? or will a new post be made to let us know? I will be making reservations for my honeymoon in Nov!

John from NJ on July 8th, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Will there be a soft opening? We are there until July 29th.

Sally from FL on July 8th, 2010 at 1:17 pm

“zeppole di ricotta (ricotta cheese-fried dough)”
St. Joseph’s Day, everyday at Via Napoli in Epcot!

Robert on July 8th, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Woot! I’m all for pizza at Epcot – now if you build a ride in World Showcase I pledge to eat more pizza.

Jenny on July 8th, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I thought there would also be a quick-service option that offered pizza here. Is it table-service only?

Katrina from NC on July 8th, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Will this restaurant to sit down service, quick service or both? The quick service pizza would be great!

James on July 8th, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Will they accept the Dining Plan? When will it be open to make reservations?

Wendy on July 8th, 2010 at 5:20 pm

DROOL!!!

david from IL on July 8th, 2010 at 5:22 pm

also hoping for a soft opening late July- would hate to miss this

Mary Beth from NJ on July 8th, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Miss Alfredo’s. Hate Tutto Italia. Maybe Disney will get this one right.

Baird on July 8th, 2010 at 5:47 pm

What kind of pricing are we looking at? I am really hoping for some affordable pizza options and not just expensive sit down service.

Richard from OH on July 8th, 2010 at 7:20 pm

The last I heard it was to be CS for lunch and TS for dinner. Is that still true?

Eric on July 8th, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I am bummed too, I thought it was going to be CS. Good, affordable pizza was soemthing we were really looking forward to.

Jessica from FL on July 8th, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I can’t wait

Philomena on July 8th, 2010 at 11:26 pm

My family used to have fetuccini alfredo at the Italian restaurant in Epcot. This dish has been missing for the past few years. We’re hoping Via Napoli can include this delicious dish again. What about spaghetti with meatball? I bet many of us would like to see it on the menu too.

James on July 9th, 2010 at 9:13 am

Here’s hoping for the return of a good Italian restaurant in Epcot. The lasagna from Alfredo’s would bring tears to my eyes it was so good. Tutto’s food is just not up to Disney par.

Kimberly on July 9th, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Will you put the opening date up on facebook when it is firm? We are travelling there in October and would like to make reservations.

Mary from MN on July 9th, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I’ve never been a fan of the attempts at Italian at Disney. I figured I could have regular Italian at restaurants at home.

After reading the menu, I’m salivating. Rice balls? Yum! Holy-smokes-large pizzas? Yum! It all sounds fabulous.

Mary
Mary’s Pop-Ins

Stephanie on July 9th, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I am still waiting for one of the Italian restaurants at Disney to offer Tartuffo as a dessert. I had it in Italy and it is the best thing in the world. A choclate covered ball of ice cream around a cherry and almond slivers (some places it is a maraschino cherry and some places it is brandied). I still dream of this dessert and have yet to find any place stateside that serves it.

Nancy on July 9th, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Guanciale, seafood linguine, and real Neapolitan-style pizza!?! We will be there for sure on our next WDW trip. The restaurants in the World Showcase need to continue to improve their menu to reflect more authentic flavors and dishes that truly represent each country rather than Americanized versions. Via Napoli sounds like another step in the right direction. Kudos! By the way, please serve proper tiramisu with the liqueur inside, not a “kid-friendly” version.

Darren from OH on July 10th, 2010 at 12:29 am

Will this restaurant serve lunch and dinner? Or just offer dinner?

Theresa on July 10th, 2010 at 5:41 am

I have eaten in Alfreado’s many times and this seems like a good change. Alfreado’s seem to be getting a little old. This looks to be a new twist on some old dishes. Nice .I wish them well .I wish it were open now as we are going on July 17th – 25th oh well there is always next time .

Eric on July 10th, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Is the lasagna verde vegetarian? Or is pizza our only option?

theresa on July 10th, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Did anyone find out if and when they are accepting reservations?

Mindy on July 10th, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I’m going to be down Aug. 11th to the 19th… I wonder if they’ll be open by then?

diane on July 11th, 2010 at 12:44 am

I must agree with a few of you, Tutto is not one of my favorites… I miss Alfredo’s!!! but, this sounds wonderful, can’t wait for our Oct. trip! the Zeppole sounds amazing… YUMMMMMM!!! there goes the diet! lol

Melissa on July 11th, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I am looking forward to trying out this new restaraunt! The menu looks very creative and interesting, not to mention authentic! As a gluten free diner, the salads on the menu sound like a wonderful option. I am glad to see some more gluten free options at Disney World!! It is hard to find gluten free food that is more gourmet and leans towards a ‘foodies’ palate.

–Missy S

Darlene from GA on July 11th, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Sounds so good. Italian is my favorite. I do miss Alfredo’s so very much as it was our family’s favorite. It will be great to get some good pizza at WDW. Hopefully, we will be visiting at the end of 2010.

Caroline on July 11th, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I have to make my reservations for February next month. Can you tell us will it be only a table service or will it also be a counter service. If it is only table service I will have to spend some time to rearrange to get this restaurant in my list. Thanks!

Michael on July 12th, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Sounds delish! I love the Epcot Italy pavilion!

Vince on July 12th, 2010 at 6:09 pm

I’ve only been to DW twice – Alfredo’s was our favorite restaurant. I’ll be back to DW the first week of October for my wife’s 50th birthday. Does anyone know when they will accept reservations?

gordon on July 13th, 2010 at 11:09 am

Do you know when they will start taking reservations?

rita on July 14th, 2010 at 9:52 am

ok most important italian dinner Christmas Eve 7 seafoods will u have it when I have been to WDW for xmas I have missed this family tradition would be awesome if we could get it we have ordered abunch of differant things in the past trying to get it but not quite right maybe now?

Raquel from NJ on July 14th, 2010 at 11:04 am

I am soooooooooo excited about this. I’ll be there in October and just can’t wait. Being a child of “Napolitans” I say “Forza Campania!” and I’m glad that region of Italy gets some recognition for their culinary contribution to the World. HOORAY! Ma, Pass me a Zeppoli!

Kris from IL on July 14th, 2010 at 11:21 am

Can’t wait to go back so we can try this place!! Looks wonderful!! Oh, 2012….why are you so far away????

Carianne on July 14th, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Will you be able to use Tables of Wonderland here?

Marnie from WA on July 14th, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Since Ratatouille makes an appearance inside the French restaurant there in EPCOT…
Any chance they could add *something* about Lady & the Tramp to this pizzaria? It’s one of our favorite movies and Tony’s at Town Square just isn’t enough theming… sigh… :-)

Mysti on July 15th, 2010 at 2:02 pm

YUM if its anything like Naples here in Southern Cali at Downtown Disney I’m gonna love it. Hopefully it will be open by August 21st. And I’m sure it will be on the Dining plan. I already have a rumbly in my tumbly LOL!

Diane from CT on July 15th, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Pam: on what date can we start making reservations for this restaurant? I just called Disney Dining for a trip late this year and they said they have no information on this restaurant. Thanks!

Gene on July 18th, 2010 at 10:36 pm

The people at WDW dine are not even aware that this restaurant is coming to EPCOT. I am not surprised.