Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

A Perfect Pizza at Epcot in Two Minutes?

posted on September 22nd, 2010 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

We can’t get enough of the classic Margherita pizza at the new Via Napoli at the Italy pavilion in Epcot World Showcase. (Did you know that the name came from Queen Margherita who was served a pizza resembling the colors of the Italian flag during a visit to Naples in 1889: red tomatoes, white mozzarella and green basil?)

Take a look at this video with Via Napoli Chef Charlie Restivo, pizza man extraordinaire. He shares the restaurant’s secrets – the water; imported flour, tomatoes and cheese; and hand-stretching the dough. And his pizza is crisp in two minutes – with the ovens cranked up over 700°F, that’s still surprisingly quick.

Do you have a favorite pizza at Via Napoli?

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Disney Dining, Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Sherri from MA on September 22nd, 2010 at 10:26 am

I love the Margherita, but the Piccante is good too (a little strong on the broccoli rabe, though).

Kimberly from MA on September 22nd, 2010 at 10:39 am

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!! My mouth is watering!!! They were just building this restaurant during my trip in May. I need to plan another trip soon!!

Barbara from Minas Gerais on September 22nd, 2010 at 10:58 am

So now Italy pavillion has 2 restaurants?
Is Tutto Italia only open for dinner?
Are they similar, which one do you recommend?

Pam Brandon on September 22nd, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Yes, 2 restaurants — Tutto Italia and Via Napoli, both open for lunch and dinner, both serving delicious, authentic Italian cuisine — but you have to go to Via Napoli if you want pizza!

Kevin on September 22nd, 2010 at 11:21 am

We were just there last week. Let me just say I think we are ruined forever for the taste of pizza. The Ingredients and quality were amazing. I had the Carciofi and my wife had the Quattro Stagioni. Mouth is watering thinking about. Coming back down again the end of November. We will be sure to be making reservations here again.

Mario on September 22nd, 2010 at 11:29 am

We are so there in June. Looks mouth watering!

Missy from PA on September 22nd, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I live in Western Pennsylvania. So I’d ~really~ like to know where they’re getting the water from in our part of our state!?!?!

Debbie from ME on September 22nd, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I can’t wait to try the pizza. I will be there is late November.

Steve on September 22nd, 2010 at 12:57 pm

My favorite is the Margherita and coming in second is the Quattro Formaggi. I love dining here!

~Steve
D-CoT

Giacomo on September 22nd, 2010 at 2:38 pm

it looks really good.. like a real italian pizza.
The funny part is that “PORTOFOLIO” doesn’t mean wallet xD
but it’s true…we eat it folded like that :P

Pam Brandon on September 22nd, 2010 at 2:55 pm

The Italian word for wallet is “portafoglio,” which sounds like “portfolio” :-)

Sharon from SC on September 22nd, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Have reservation here on Oct. 28, and after seeing this video I am even more excited about it! Nothing better than a delicious authentic pizza, a bottle of wine, and great friends!

Gayle Natasha on September 22nd, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I will be there Oct 4th. Can’t wait! Hope it’s as good as what I had in Roma last year. Great video!

Becky from GA on September 22nd, 2010 at 10:48 pm

We booked a dinner at Via Napoli on the day Disney made reservations available online in August and were very excited about going there. Our dinner was last week during our family vacation and we were rather disappointed by our experience. The wood firing sounds romantic, but it imparts a bitter taste where it chars the dough. I had the Margherita, just like in the video. It looked great, but didn’t have the flavor I was expecting. Maybe I’m a pizza snob, I’m used to making them myself and I know what I like. The restaurant was also under-staffed. They were trying very hard to accommodate but there just weren’t enough of them. I also saw waiters deliver the wrong meals to two tables near me. Language issues, I think. I love Disney restaurants but I won’t be back to this one anytime soon.