Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Happy Holidays at Disneyland Park

Boo! Hard to Believe, but it’s Almost Halloween Time at Disneyland Resort

posted on September 2nd, 2010 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

Concept art for Ghost Galaxy outside Space Mountain attraction

As summer winds down and kids head back to school, it won’t be long before they start thinking about trick-or-treating, Halloween parties and costumes. The Halloween Time celebration kicks off at Disneyland Resort September 17, with more tricks, treats and family fun.

If you’re not quite sure how to celebrate this year, there are two great ways to join in the fun.

Halloween Time: The spooky fun runs from September 17 to October 31. Lots of fun surprises and extras await you and your family with a regularly priced theme park ticket. Highlights include Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Meet-and-Greet opportunities with Characters and Disney Villains, a Halloween Roundup and lots of Halloween décor throughout the Resort. Check Disneyland.com for details and ticket prices.

Mickey’s Halloween Party: Big news this year! The trick-or-treat party at Disney California Adventure park has moved to Disneyland park and is now called Mickey’s Halloween Party. Along with the move comes some big advantages. This special-ticket soiree, Tuesdays and Fridays in October, as well as Halloween night (Sunday, October 31), brings to life all of the tricks and treats of the season. As with every special-ticket event, Mickey’s Halloween Party offers exclusive opportunities for ghouls and goblins of every age. Highlights include exclusive access to the Halloween Screams fireworks show, access to nearly all the attractions at Disneyland park, more tricks and treats, and early access to Disneyland park.

• Exclusive Access to Halloween Screams – If you loved this fireworks spectacular last year, the show will be exclusive to guests who purchase tickets to Mickey’s Halloween Party. Last year, guests told us Main Street, U.S.A. was so filled with fans that they couldn’t fully experience the after-dark party in the sky. So, this year, you can catch every snap, crackle and pop of Halloween Screams with more wiggle room during Mickey’s Halloween Party! Check out video of Halloween Screams below.
  • More Tricks and Treats – Jump into your costume and head to the greatest Halloween neighborhood on Earth. Disneyland plays host to Mickey’s Halloween Party and offers more treats, more fun and more excitement, Tuesdays, Fridays and Halloween night during Halloween Time at Disneyland Resort.
  • Early Access to Disneyland Park – If exclusive viewing of Halloween Screams and more treats aren’t enough, how about another bonus to add to your revelry? Mickey’s Halloween Party officially kicks off at 6 p.m. on Tuesdays, and 7 p.m. on Fridays and Halloween night. If you’re going to the party, you’ll get early access to Disneyland. Tuesday night party-goers can enter the park at 3 p.m., while Friday and Halloween night guests will be greeted at the gate starting at 4 p.m.

Tickets for Mickey’s Halloween Party are now available and can be purchased at Disneyland.com. Here’s an insider’s tip: if you purchase tickets in advance, you’ll get a great discount.

In the coming weeks, we’ll share some behind-the-scenes Halloween video and give you a first look at a new cavalcade and new dance parties planned for Mickey’s Halloween Party at Disneyland park.

What are you most looking forward to this Halloween season? Is there anything in particular you want to see in our Halloween coverage on the Disney Parks Blog?

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort, Special Events

Luke from CA on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I hope I’m reading this incorrectly, but it sounds like I would have to buy a special ticket to be able to see the Halloween Screams firework show. If me and my wife are premium annual passholders, I don’t understand why we’d be expected to get a special ticket to be able to partake in this celebration. Please help clear up exactly who has access to this show.

Heather Hust Rivera on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Halloween Screams is exclusive to Mickey’s Halloween Party guests

Loretta from CA on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I’ve already purchased by tickets for October 1. Can you tell me which rides will be open?

Robbie on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:11 pm

i have the same question that Luke has con you please let us know …

Brandi from CA on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Hi Luke. We too have premium passes. They decided to move the Halloween party from DCA to Disneyland this year. We have been going every year and it is a blast. It seems though they will only be doing the Halloween fireworks during Mickey’s Halloween Treat (the ticketed event). At least that is what we have heard so far. I think they are only doing the fireworks the nights of the Mickey’s Halloween party (Tues and Fri).

Andrea on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:13 pm

By the sounds of it Luke, Heather said that last year Main Street was so packed that many guests complained.

I too am an annual passholder and even we have to pay for the tickets. We get two discounts for the tickets, one for buying early and one for being a passholder. It’s (I think) a $10 discount compared to buying at the gate.

But hey, if this means less people will be in the park that evening, its fine by me.

Donald on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:14 pm

From what they’ve been saying since a number of months ago,Halloween screams will only occur on nights of the halloween party,and thus,only people who have tickets to the halloween party event will be able to view them inside the park

Cymblynne from CA on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I too am wondereing about the fireworks show. Last year it was GREAT and we purchased annual passports again this year so we can come see it. Now we have to purchase seperate tickets? What about the nights that there is no Halloween Party….will the fireworks still take place? Please clarify.

Heather Hust Rivera on September 2nd, 2010 at 6:28 pm

“Remember…Dreams Come True” will be shown on the weekends.

Paul from NV on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I am also a Premium APer and could not be happier that they have closed the fireworks off to the public. It is going to allow for a much easier time in finding the perfect spot. It also means we can enjoy the party longer before having to stand for the fireworks. I got my tickets the day they went on sale and can not wait. With the parties being at Disneyland this year it makes it more than worth it. A lot of APers need to realize that the world is not theirs just because they have a “Premium” pass. It clearly says in the terms not valid for all events. Again THANK YOU so much Disneyland for doing this. My family can not wait to return to the Grand Californian and enjoy the party with Mickey and the rest of the gang!

Suzanne from CA on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:20 pm

If everybody with a pass could come to the Halloween Party, then how would that make it special? As a pass holder, I gladly pay extra to go to the Halloween party because it helps to contain the crowds and make it a more enjoyable event. I ordered my tickets last night and at least saved a few bucks being an annual pass holder. I can’t wait to see how much different it’s going to be at Disneyland this year rather than at California Adventure! :D

Fred from CA on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I am really looking forward to Haunted Mansion Holiday and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy!

I have to say that while I am a little disappointed that Halloween Screams will only be available to those attending the Halloween party, I’m glad that the park is addressing the crowd issues.

jesus on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:26 pm

yeah love it im going the day of my birthday yeah yeah im ready to have fun

Shari from AB on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I just received our tickets in the mail for Halloween night and we are all so excited to be attending the Halloween Party. My kids are counting down the days and are really looking forward to arriving in California just in time for Halloween. It sounds like it is going to be such a fun time and I am sure it will be a Halloween my children will always remember.

Heather Hust Rivera on September 2nd, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Have fun!

Diane from BC on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I have our tickets and can’t wait to be there….we only have 37 more sleeps….

Josh on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Premium AP here who will not be paying more to see the fireworks. Saw them twice last year when they were shown every night during Halloween Time. Most people who experienced Halloween Screams last year and want to see them again probably do not read this blog or other fan sites. How else is it being publicized that Halloween Screams will not be shown every night? I have a feeling there will be a lot more complaints about the fireworks not being shown every night, then there were about Main Street being crowded last year. That being said, there are plenty of people willing to fork out the extra cash, so I doubt things will change in the future.

Shannon on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Halloween Screams will only show on Halloween party nights. On Saturday and Sunday during the Halloween season they will show the Remember Dreams Come True… fireworks. If you have an annual pass you can buy Halloween party tickets at a discount for the first party (Oct 1), and the Tuesday parties.

nicole on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:46 pm

weird i commented earlier it was there now its gone.. but anyhow i’ll re ask again in a shorter manner.. i don’t car about the days of the party.. what about the other 5 days of the week. Are they still having fireworks the rest of the weekend?

Heather Hust Rivera on September 2nd, 2010 at 6:23 pm

We will have weekend fireworks, and that’s typical during the fall season. It will be the “Remember…Dreams Come True” fireworks show.

Janine on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:47 pm

since i’m one of those who was complaining last year, i’m glad they’ve blocked it off for the halloween party only. being less than tall makes it difficult for me to see over people who are taller than me and often…they dont care. i can’t even tell you how many times i was stepped on. we’ve bought our tickets and are ready to make with the happy halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janine on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:49 pm

oh…and i’m an annual passholder also. been an AP holder for going on 10 years now. even with the fact that i’m unemployed and scraping money together to get my AP for this year…i’ll still renew my AP because Disneyland is the only place that makes me happy

Jay on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I have my tickets for October 1 already! Really looking forward to it. I’m not sure how getting in early works, though…

How are you going to kick everyone else out of the park but know that I get to stay inside? Does the park close to the public at 4pm? How is everyone else going to be kicked out of the park by 7:00PM?

David on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Can passholders still see halloween screams? my older sister and I want to see it! but isn’t the trick or treat party moving to Dland?

Chris on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:53 pm

The crowds last year were HORRIBLE! Looking forward to enjoying the show this year.

Linda from NV on September 2nd, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Are the fireworks shown every Tuesday and Friday night at Mickey’s Halloween party? We just received annual passes as gifts and have not used them yet…with being an annual pass holder is there a discount towards the purchase of the ticket to Mickey’s Halloween party?

Heather Hust Rivera on September 2nd, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Yes, there’s a discount for annual passholders. Enter in your AP information at this link: https://secure-disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/ap/index?name=AnnualPassholderQuickLoginPage&appRedirect=http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/ap/gated/detail?name=AP_MickeysHalloweenParty_SpecialOfferPage

Thomas from CA on September 2nd, 2010 at 4:19 pm

How will Disney close Disneyland the day of the Mickey Halloween party and allow people with tickets from the event to stay in the park?

Heather Hust Rivera on September 3rd, 2010 at 12:51 pm

We will exit guests from the park after closing like we do for any special event, and guests who do not have a wristband and a ticket to Mickey’s Halloween Party will not be able to stay in Disneyland park.

Russ on September 2nd, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I have the same general question as Jay. If you buy the special tickets for Halloween party, do only those people have access to the park? Do they kick everyone else out at 4, and let all the halloween party ticket holders in at 7? That’s pretty cool if they do, does that mean the park is pretty empty, and you can go on rides quickly and easily?

Michaelyn from CA on September 2nd, 2010 at 4:23 pm

We will be in town on September 17th-22nd and are excited for the halloween decor and fun, but we were hoping to see some fireworks. Will there be any fireworks at all at that time? Since Mickeys trick or treat party won’t be running at that time, I am hoping that maybe the regular fireworks will still be going.

Brittney from CA on September 2nd, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I know adults are allowed to wear costumes to the Halloween party but if we get early admission to the park will we still be allowed in early to the park in costume with the regular guests?

Heather Hust Rivera on September 2nd, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Guests with tickets to Mickey’s Halloween Party can we wear costumes and can enter the Park in their costumes at 3 p.m. on Tuesday nights and 4 p.m. on Friday nights.

Teresa on September 2nd, 2010 at 4:32 pm

How is Disney going to “clear out” the park? How will I be assured that other (non-ticket holders) will be gone. That is a lot of money for my family to add to our vacation only to find out that not everyone was honest and purchased a ticket.

Lisa on September 2nd, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Basically the same question as Jay. Could you clarify the early entrance times? I have tickets for a Friday night. Does that mean that we will be let in at 4pm to ride and eat, but the actual party with shows and trick or treating won’t begin till 7pm?

Heather Hust Rivera on September 2nd, 2010 at 5:57 pm

That’s right. If you purchased tickets to Mickey’s Halloween Party on a Friday night or Halloween night, you can experience Disneyland park as a regular guest at 4 p.m., and then the trick-or-treating and other special events associated with Mickey’s Halloween Party will begin at 7 p.m. (Event entry and start time are one hour earlier on Tuesday nights).

Danielle on September 2nd, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Can anyone who has been to the Halloween Party nights before tell me if it is substantially less crowded? I would gladly buy tickets if it were. Thanks!

Jordy on September 2nd, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I really want to go on Ghost Galaxy! It looks really cool!

Monterey from CA on September 2nd, 2010 at 5:41 pm

This is my FAVORITE time of year at Disneyland! I can’t wait, I can’t wait, I can’t wait!!!!!!

Lisa on September 2nd, 2010 at 5:43 pm

“How will Disney clear out the park?”: I called Disney and was told that ticket holders will get wrist bands. In order to board the rides, you will have to show your wrist band. Apparently, people without wristbands will not be able to participate in anything and will be weeded out that way.

Mya on September 2nd, 2010 at 6:08 pm

So excited to go on October 15th. This will be our first year attending the Halloween party! I didn’t realize they had moved it to the Disneyland park. How fun!

TRACY from CA on September 2nd, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I was really hoping Disneyland would adopt the Floria Halloween parade. I have always wanted to see the headless horseman ride on Main St. Please conside this. Even if no parade. It would be awesome to have a mini show or introduction where he would appear! and maybe some sort of castle thing with the villians taking over the castle

Michelle on September 2nd, 2010 at 7:02 pm

I won’t be going to the Halloween party, but I just LOVE the decorations and food this time of year! I’d love to see a post about all the different pumpkins everywhere.

Gabriella on September 2nd, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Hey Im going to the Walt Disney World resort in florida this year, could ya give any details on whats happening there as well as Calafornia?

Fred from CA on September 2nd, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I would love for Disneyland to have a Halloween parade. But not a copy of what Florida has. I’m sure Disneyland could come up with something original and cool.

So please consider creating an original Disneyland Halloween parade for next year and beyond! :)

Sarah on September 2nd, 2010 at 7:44 pm

From what I’ve heard from Disneyland cast members, the park will close at 5:00 on Tuesdays and 6:00 on Fridays for the general admission guests. The people who enter at either 3:00 or 4:00 with the trick or treat tickets will be given a wrist band to stay in the park. The people without wristbands will be cleared out of the park. I’m not sure how quickly this will happen. I’ve been to the trick or treat party when it was at CA and it was a lot of fun and was not very crowed at all. Well worth the additional ticket price. However, at that time that park actually closed for everyone and would remain closed for a couple of hours for them to set up. So, it will be interesting this year to see how they get the other guests our of the park and set up.

Bernadette on September 2nd, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I bought my tickets the day they went on sale! My family is so excited we can’t wait to go!!!!!!!!!

susan from CA on September 2nd, 2010 at 8:38 pm

We have our tickets for the party, got them the day they went on sale. We are premimium annual passholders and happy to pay the extra cost. We have gone every year they have had it in California, and love it. Not sure what the crowds are going to be like at Disneyland, but we have always been happy with the lack of crowd at California Adventure. My real question is about Christmas, we have been to Disneyworld several times at Christmas time and went to special ticket event at the Magic Kingdom, it was a Christmas party that was very nice. Will Disneyland do anything like this anytime soon? We stay at a Disney resort every Christmas and I would love a special event like this.

Amy from CA on September 2nd, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Will DCA have Candy Corn Acres this year? What Halloween touches will DCA have?

Tony on September 2nd, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Will there be any new elements in Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy?

Jamie on September 3rd, 2010 at 12:08 am

If adult party guests are wearing costumes, are they allowed the early afternoon admission (3:00 or 4:00)into the park, or do they need to wait until the official opening time of 6:00 or 7:00? We have our tickets and we can’t wait!

Heather Hust Rivera on September 3rd, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Jamie, guests attending Mickey’s Halloween Party can enter the Park in their costumes at 3 p.m. on Tuesdays and 4 p.m. on Fridays and Halloween night.

Jennifer on September 3rd, 2010 at 12:33 am

I plan on doing the ticket thing at least once, and I’m very excited, but my friends and I will be going several more times not on the party days. Will the rides still be the same? Or will they only be Halloween themed for the party days?

Heather Hust Rivera on September 3rd, 2010 at 12:52 pm

The attractions will be themed every day.

Jonan on September 3rd, 2010 at 12:42 am

I am always so sad that whenever I go to Disneyland at Halloween time – everything in the whole park is so wonderfully decorated forHalloween – except my favorite feature – the Haunted Mansion – is all decked out for CHRISTMAS!!! The ride that most personifies Halloween isn’t even haunted for Halloween. It seems to me (of course I’ve never worked there) that it would be just as easy to close the Huanted Mansion for its holiday make-over AFTER Hallowen instead of at Labor Day. Please consider this – especially now that the Halloween Party is in Disneyland instead of C.A.

debbie on September 3rd, 2010 at 1:36 am

my husband & i are huge nightmare fans and love the haunted mansion holiday. what i would like to see on this blog would be pictures of all the gingerbread centerpieces from inside the mansion, and from french market back in the day. the baker artisans are fabulous!

Heather Hust Rivera on September 3rd, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Thanks for letting us know what you’d like to see on the Blog. I’ll see what I can do. ;)

lisa from CA on September 3rd, 2010 at 10:02 am

So,years back I did attend the Halloween Party at DCA. From what I remember, there were only 5,000 tickets available for each night. How many tickets will be available now that the party has moved to Disneyland?

Kayla from NV on September 3rd, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Thank you Sarah (on 9/2) for clarifying how the transition will occur. I am also interested to see how this goeas as we have tickets for the 10/1 party and I’ve only been to it when it was at DCA and they closed the whole park before re-opening. This will be interesting!

Fred from CA on September 3rd, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Jonan–Well, Haunted Mansion Holiday is about the characters from “Nightmare Before Christmas” doing Christmas their twisted Halloween way, So it sort of works for both Halloween and Christmas. Besides the Christmas motif, there are plenty of jack-o-lanterns and creepy things like a man-eating wreath, and scary-looking toys.

Natalie from CA on September 3rd, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I think it is really unfortunate that the fireworks are only for the party nights. We are making this trip for my daughter’s 16th birthday and her grandpa’s 60th. Unfortunately, because we are traveling hundreds of miles and she will be missing some school, we couldn’t make any of the party nights work for us. (She can’t miss more than 2 days of school) We have come many years for my birthday in December, and although Main Street was packed for the fireworks and the snow, nothing was ever closed off to the rest of the people. Now there is an amazing firework display-we have seen the other one- and we can’t see it because of the days that we are traveling? The 50 year celebration at Christmas time was a zoo, but it is what you have to expect when coming to Disneyland. The fireworks show should be opened to everyone at least on Saturdays. Very disappointing, especially because this trip is to celebrate 2 very special occasions.