Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion Stretch Painting

Boo! Hard to Believe, but it’s Almost Halloween Time at Disneyland Resort

posted on September 2nd, 2010 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

Concept art for Ghost Galaxy outside Space Mountain attraction

As summer winds down and kids head back to school, it won’t be long before they start thinking about trick-or-treating, Halloween parties and costumes. The Halloween Time celebration kicks off at Disneyland Resort September 17, with more tricks, treats and family fun.

If you’re not quite sure how to celebrate this year, there are two great ways to join in the fun.

Halloween Time: The spooky fun runs from September 17 to October 31. Lots of fun surprises and extras await you and your family with a regularly priced theme park ticket. Highlights include Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Meet-and-Greet opportunities with Characters and Disney Villains, a Halloween Roundup and lots of Halloween décor throughout the Resort. Check Disneyland.com for details and ticket prices.

Mickey’s Halloween Party: Big news this year! The trick-or-treat party at Disney California Adventure park has moved to Disneyland park and is now called Mickey’s Halloween Party. Along with the move comes some big advantages. This special-ticket soiree, Tuesdays and Fridays in October, as well as Halloween night (Sunday, October 31), brings to life all of the tricks and treats of the season. As with every special-ticket event, Mickey’s Halloween Party offers exclusive opportunities for ghouls and goblins of every age. Highlights include exclusive access to the Halloween Screams fireworks show, access to nearly all the attractions at Disneyland park, more tricks and treats, and early access to Disneyland park.

• Exclusive Access to Halloween Screams – If you loved this fireworks spectacular last year, the show will be exclusive to guests who purchase tickets to Mickey’s Halloween Party. Last year, guests told us Main Street, U.S.A. was so filled with fans that they couldn’t fully experience the after-dark party in the sky. So, this year, you can catch every snap, crackle and pop of Halloween Screams with more wiggle room during Mickey’s Halloween Party! Check out video of Halloween Screams below.
  • More Tricks and Treats – Jump into your costume and head to the greatest Halloween neighborhood on Earth. Disneyland plays host to Mickey’s Halloween Party and offers more treats, more fun and more excitement, Tuesdays, Fridays and Halloween night during Halloween Time at Disneyland Resort.
  • Early Access to Disneyland Park – If exclusive viewing of Halloween Screams and more treats aren’t enough, how about another bonus to add to your revelry? Mickey’s Halloween Party officially kicks off at 6 p.m. on Tuesdays, and 7 p.m. on Fridays and Halloween night. If you’re going to the party, you’ll get early access to Disneyland. Tuesday night party-goers can enter the park at 3 p.m., while Friday and Halloween night guests will be greeted at the gate starting at 4 p.m.

Tickets for Mickey’s Halloween Party are now available and can be purchased at Disneyland.com. Here’s an insider’s tip: if you purchase tickets in advance, you’ll get a great discount.

In the coming weeks, we’ll share some behind-the-scenes Halloween video and give you a first look at a new cavalcade and new dance parties planned for Mickey’s Halloween Party at Disneyland park.

What are you most looking forward to this Halloween season? Is there anything in particular you want to see in our Halloween coverage on the Disney Parks Blog?

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort, Special Events

Janelle from CA on September 3rd, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I realllllllllllllllllllllly wish Disneyland could just be Disneyland all year round… Enough with the changing. Disneyland is my happy place and I’ll go no matter what but I go to Disneyland every year on my birthday (Sept 13th) and my favorite ride is Haunted Mansion… I haven’t been able to ride it in the past 9 years since they started changing it for the ‘Holidays’… Just once I’d like to have that experience back.

Amanda on September 3rd, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Big thanks to those that complained about the crowding on main street because I thought the fireworks show was amazing and you get the same view from small world plaza without the crowd so now when I go for my birthday I don’t get to see Halloween screams!

susan from CA on September 3rd, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Heather I didn’t see if you were able to answer the question I had yesterday. Do you think they will ever have a special ticket event like the Christmas party at the Magic Kingdom in DisneyWorld? I love the the special ticket events and we stay on property in California every year for both Halloween and Christmas unless we can make it to Florida. I would love to have a Christmas party at Disneyland.

Tim on September 3rd, 2010 at 11:59 pm

I’m going October 1st…dressed as Marvel’s Captain America. (Ahead of the trend I might ad, since the Captain America movie comes out in 2011!) I spot a potential missed opportunity by the retail shops at the resort if they don’t sell Marvel Superhero costumes!

Amy from CA on September 4th, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Will DCA have Candy Corn Acres this year? What Halloween touches will DCA have?

Michelle on September 4th, 2010 at 5:43 pm

I, too, would like to know what Halloween decorations/touches will be at California Adventure. I understand with WOC things have changed, but will there be anything Halloweenish there, or only at DL?

Sherry from CA on September 4th, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Heather – Count me in as another person who would like to know what we will see in California Adventure in the way of Halloween decor. For the last few years, California Adventure has been included in the Halloween Time celebration by way of Candy Corn Acres and the Trick or Treat Party. This year the party has moved to Disneyland – but has Candy Corn Acres disappeared altogether? Will there be any decorations in California Adventure at all or is this year going to be a more scaled-down version of Halloween Time?

Bonnie from CA on September 5th, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I really hope Disney can clear all the non-ticket holders out. I’m buying tickets for myself and my 4 year old in hopes that we will be able to see the fireworks without all the crazy crowds.

Shannon from AB on September 5th, 2010 at 7:45 pm

my family got there tickets as soon as they went on sale. Can’t wait. My 4 yr old thinks the fireworks clip is scary I hope we can convince him to watch them.

Susan from CA on September 5th, 2010 at 8:07 pm

We have our tickets for Oct 15th and we are SO excited. We missed the party last year and are looking forward to Disneyland taking on the challenge of the Trick or Treat party. What we really need to know where to look for the decorations. We have annual passes but Grandma (it is her first time for Halloween) does not. We need to know ASAP, please. What can we expect while we are in California Adventure as far as decorations? Or with all of the remodeling, World of Color and possibly the TRON decorations there isn’t room for much more?

Lyn from CA on September 6th, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Hubby and I will be there Oct 27 – Nov 1 and were wondering if you need to dress up and can the “party” fireworks be seen from just outside the park? I’m not even sure what the whole party entails … if its actually trick or treating, then not sure its worth it:/
Any help would be great :)

jessica from CA on September 6th, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Heather, just curious as to what kind of “treats” Disneyland will be giving out to trick-or-treaters? Are the treats only for children?

jessica from CA on September 6th, 2010 at 11:31 pm

just to be clear, by treats I mean candy. I heard that you don’t give out any chocolate-type candies. Is it true for this year as well?

Valarie from OK on September 7th, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Question?

Long story short……Our trip to Walt Disney World was scheduled for Halloween 2010. Was instructed to purchase our tickets for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party early, as they sell out fast. We were so excited to be there during Halloween! But due to unforeseen circumstances; our trip has now been postponed until Spring Break 2011. Is there no way at all to exchange these tickets for another event along that timeline? Anything??? I can’t believe there is no other solution other than just losing $500. If anyone has any suggestions or answers, I welcome them!

Kate from CA on September 8th, 2010 at 6:55 pm

This is in response to Valerie from OK:

You can try to sell your tickets on Ebay or Craigslist.. or on a Disney discussion board. What night are they for? You may have to sell them for quite a bit under what you paid, but at least you could get something back =/ Good luck!

Joanna on September 8th, 2010 at 7:22 pm

My family will be coming Oct 12-17 from Washington state and have purchased park hopper passes. It seems unreasonable to have to pay an extra $250 dollars to attend the Halloween party for our family when we have already paid close to a thousand for our park hopper tickets. It is a shame that DL will not allow those with park hopper tickets into the party. I REALLY was looking forward to seeing the fireworks.

Holly from CA on September 9th, 2010 at 2:00 pm

In response to Joanna from Washington, you can still hang out in California Adventure while the trick or treat party is going on. But, I however am disappointed that Halloween Screams will not be shown on saturday nights for the rest of us who cannot afford to attend Mickey’s Halloween Party. It was one of my favorite parts of Halloween in the park last year & it’s sad we won’t be able to see it again this year during our visit. Given it’s popularity last year, it’s a shame they are denying it to the rest of their paying guests.

Valarie from OK on September 9th, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Thanks for your response Kate from CA! Appreciated!

I thought the tickets were non-refundable or non-transferable? I was only hoping for WDW to have something in trade/exchange for possible for when I am actually going to be there. I would most definintly take a lower price for them, if I am able to seel them, if it ment I could at least get something back.

MARISSA from TX on September 9th, 2010 at 9:53 pm

This will be my first time at Disneyland for Halloween , and like Jessica from Ca I would like to know what kind of candy will be given out and if its only for children? Also do we need to bring a treat bag to hold the candy?

Alicia on September 10th, 2010 at 8:25 am

I am so excited for my yearly trip to Disneyland for Halloween time! But I am also so disappointed that the Halloween fireworks are only available to people going to the Trick or Treat party. My favorite thing last year was the AMAZING Halloween fireworks every night!!! I only hope that Disney will realize how important those are to experience the full Halloween time feel, and bring them back every night!!!

Pamela on September 13th, 2010 at 1:10 am

My friend and I are going to be in Disneyland on 10-22. I have an AP and know that I need to get a pass for the fireworks (very disappointing by the way). For ticketing purposes for my friend, will the Mickey’s pass count as a park entrance ticket? Or does she have to buy a park entrance ticket and a seperate pass to view the fireworks. Thank you.

Jillian from CA on September 13th, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I too have been an AP since I was a child and continue to purchase my own pass now that I am an adult. I remember the days when Disneyland was not nearly as crowded as it has become, yet I continue to come and enjoy my time there, trying to remember as we wait in increasingly longer wait times that the more people that are there, the more they are enjoying what I love so much.

I understand that it gets crowded on main street and it can cut down the time that people enjoy the Halloween party with Mickey and friends, but my question is: Why have the show only play 2 nights of the week? If everybody is going to be removed from Disneyland for the event, those with the tickets will already have the full access to the show. With that, any other people who purchase tickets or are APs can still enjoy the show during the rest of the week, while those who have tickets to the Halloween Party can still see it with less crowds on the night of the party.
I understand the tickets are reasonably priced, especially with being an AP, but I am a college student whose interests do not necessarily lie in a Halloween event of this nature, and I do not have children to take either.

It is just a shame that such a great show be cut down to such a small audience. Though it is a treat that “Remember” will be playing again, I’d take the holiday themed show anytime… I know that the decision has been already set for this year, but I hope that in the future everybody can have viewings of this, and all firework shows.

Jennifer on September 13th, 2010 at 8:31 pm

What a dissapointment about the fire works. And escorting the guests out for the Halloween event is a dissapointment too.
As a AP holder and former castmember, Friday nights have been extrememly crowded due to the excitement generated by the Halloween displays and rides.

Too bad that we can only enjoy it with a high cost ticket in addition to our already purchased APs or daily ticket admission.

amber from AZ on September 13th, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I too am a premium annual passholder. I love Disneyland. I must say that I am glad that the Halloween Screams fireworks are for the Halloween party guests this year. However, I do think that Disney should have also showed the Halloween fireworks on Saturday nights for those who are not attending the Halloween Party. I too went last year and HATED the crowds that came just to see the Halloween Fireworks.
I have my tickets for the Halloween Party on Oct. 1 and must say that this will be the first time that I will be going. I’ve got my costume all ready. Cannot wait.

Girlin on September 13th, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Heather,

Could you please clear this up for me. I am an APer and I’m quite confused from everyone’s comments about this.

Disneyland USED TO show the Halloween Scream Spectacular during nights of the week, but due to overcrowding it has been decided that this year it will NOT be shown during Halloween Time WITHOUT a ticket (including APers)?

If that is true, then awe … that is somewhat saddening. I have been an APer since I was a child and I thoroughly enjoy Halloween Time and Christmas Time. I hope this new tradition does not stay this way PERMANENTLY and roll over into the Christmas fireworks! Will it?

I know there are PLENTY of willing people to pay for Mickey’s Halloween Party, but not all APers have children. Some just want to experience the fireworks. I hope Disneyland keeps those suffering from the economy in mind in the future. I guess I will just have to soak in the decorations throughout the park this year :) !

Thanks for the updates, Heather. There has to be another way to get the word out to people besides Facebook!

Janine on September 13th, 2010 at 11:01 pm

A few bits of information from last year:
1) When the Trick or Treat party was at DCA, there *was* a parade. It was small, but cute, and I hope they bring it to DL.
2) Last year and in years prior, we did not need to bring a treat bag. They were provided for us.
3) In years past, carrots & apples & raisins were offered, but I found that they were forgotten in the treat bag and caused ummm “issues” when they were finally *found* later. Last year ,IIRC, they switched to fruit leathers (or whatever they’re called) which was a good choice, and I hope they offer these again.

Heather–i’m wondering which rides will be open during the trick or treat party and if there will be photo ops with the villains again this year? My friend and I plan to go as Yzma & Kronk again this year and would be extra happy to get our annual picture with Mom (the evil queen).

Thanks for all the posts! I can’t wait till the 29th!! 45 days!!!!!

Kenneth from CA on September 16th, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I emailed the DISNEYLAND® Resort Guest Communications, and Linda Trump stated costumes are only allowed at the Mickey’s Halloween Party event and not during the early entry.

I will be attending the Oct. 1st party and don’t want to show up at 4:00pm in costume and not be allowed in.

When will the Disneyland Cast Members be informed of the ability for party ticket holders to enter early in costume?

jessica from CA on September 16th, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Girlin, from what I understand the Halloween fireworks will only be shown to those who are attending the special (and completely seperate) Mickey’s Halloween Party at Disneyland. I have heard (only once so I’m not sure how true it is) that on the nights that the park does NOT close early for the Mickey Party, they will be showing the Believe! fireworks show instead. Which, although not Halloween, is still one of Disney’s BEST fireworks show yet.

I am also sad about the Halloween Screams fireworks show being canceled for us *ahem* “regular” AP holders, as well as the families who really look forward to special things like the fireworks. Not days at disneyland where you have to leave so early…oh well.

Shauna on September 17th, 2010 at 2:31 pm

We went last year for Halloween and also went to the trick or treat party at DCA. Honestly I would rather pay the extra money for less people and to be able to enjoy the fireworks. Last year it was so packed we couldnt see anything and finally gave up and went to another area of the park to do other stuff. Yeah its more money but it is going to be so much more enjoyable this year, we think it is a great idea and are all really excited about it.

chelsea on September 18th, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Why does the tickets have to be 45 dollars per person if your a annaul passholder? I didn’t purchase mine yet but that seems a little much for being a passholder in the first place, and I was wondering if the treats and goody bags are only for a specefic age group? If not I wanna get my free Mickey bag with candy lol!!!!

Lesli on September 21st, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I just bought my tickets for Halloween. This will be a new experience for me. I’ve always gone for Halloweentime but never to the party. I was wondering about the wrist bands. Since I’m having my tickets shipped to me will I get the wrist bands or have to wait till the party? I ask because my boy friend and I are still deciding whether we’re going to buy parkhoppers so we can go into CA and Disneyland before the party starts.

Jeannette from CA on September 21st, 2010 at 8:49 pm

So sad that I can’t see Halloween Screams this year because I can’t afford a separate ticket to see it. Saw it last year and it was amazing!! True, there were a crazy amount of people there but it was waaay worth it!! Oh well, maybe next year.

Girlin on September 24th, 2010 at 6:48 am

Jessica from CA – thanks so much for that information! Much thanks :)

jessica from CA on September 25th, 2010 at 2:10 am

Happy to help, Girlin! :)