Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion

Luxury Pet Resort Opens at Walt Disney World Resort

posted on September 1st, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Luxury Pet Resort Doggy Storytime
You better believe there are some pooches being pampered tonight at Walt Disney World Resort. Our new luxury pet resort officially opened its doors today and the first guests are already enjoying the VIP suites and special extras like story time with staff. Earlier this summer, we told you about the one-of-a-kind Best Friends Pet Care facility located across from Disney’s Port Orleans Resort -Riverside. Now, we have a first look around:

There’s a 1,300-square-foot “canines only” splash-and-play water feature and areas where you can sit, relax and watch your dog play. The entire park is secure from outsiders and is available for use after dark.
Luxury Pet Resort Doggy Water Fountain
A la carte activities for pets range from one-on-one playtimes and social playgroup with other dogs to cuddle time and bedtime stories with staff. Other amenities and upgrades include ice cream treats, bottled water and premium orthopedic bedding.

The pet resort can accommodate as many as 300 pets for both daytime and overnight boarding. For more information or to make a reservation, check out www.bestfriendspetcare.com or call 877-4-WDW-PETS.

Filed: Vacation Planning, Walt Disney World Resort

Richard from CA on September 1st, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Any plans to bring this to Disneyland Resort? I know there’s space limitations, but I’d love to be able to board my dog nearby when I visit the resort.

Ann from FL on September 1st, 2010 at 7:31 pm

I can’t wait for my dogs to enjoy these facilities; wer’e there next month! I told them all about it tonight; They are really excited!

Donna from GA on September 1st, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Dear Thomas: I wish I could share this on Facebook. :)

Gustavo on September 1st, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Am I the only one that thinks movies and reading time for dogs is silly?

Erin on September 1st, 2010 at 7:43 pm

This is so spectacular!! If we weren’t so far away, our dog would stay for sure :-)

Allison on September 1st, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Going in November. I found a nice pet resort near where I live, but I’m going to call this place tomorrow. No reason our pup shouldn’t get to have as much fun as we do!

connie from KY on September 1st, 2010 at 8:03 pm

ONLY DISNEY!:):):) Can’t wait to take my “sugar” to Disney!!!!!

Laura from CT on September 1st, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Just to let you know, there are best friends pet care facilities all over the country. Go to their official website to see if there is one in your area. Also, reading to the dogs is part of a premium package and not for every animal that stays there. Our dog does the day camp once a week and loves it!

george from FL on September 1st, 2010 at 8:31 pm

WHAT IS THE COST?

Kristin from IN on September 1st, 2010 at 8:41 pm

My dog likely won’t sit for a story or a movie UNLESS treats were involved the WHOLE time

Nicole on September 1st, 2010 at 9:31 pm

About Time!!!! My pets are part of my family and I love to take them on vacation with me. When I have to leave them behind with friends, family, or a kennel, I worry about them. This way you can visit your pet daily and help ease your and their anxiety. Hats off to Disney, again!!!!!

Juani from FL on September 1st, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I may have missed it in the video but I didn;t see any special treat for cats.

Sandra on September 2nd, 2010 at 1:08 am

Gustavo—I’m with you on those two. Having the facility is a good thing though.

Vivian from PA on September 2nd, 2010 at 1:33 am

Any chance this will be a daytime place for pets and then at night pets can stay in the room with their owners overnight … Maybe then I could stay at a Disney Resort Hotel….

David from FL on September 2nd, 2010 at 8:22 am

How is this better for day guests? If someone is visiting, say Animal Kingdom, they have to FIRST drive all the way over past Port Orleans to the new Pet Resort and then go to the Animal Kingdom. Also, prices went up for overnight stays for resort guests. Really, this is not a win for guests at all.

Mary Ellen from PA on September 2nd, 2010 at 9:18 am

This is a great idea for pampering your pooch while you visit. We don’t travel with our dog, but especially if I were camping at Fort Wilderness I would try to take advantage of this. (oh, yeah I would have to double my income first though!)

Christine from OH on September 2nd, 2010 at 10:41 am

Wow, LOVE this and can’t wait to take our pup. I suggest you have a photographer take special shots of the pets too (maybe with Pluto, or Donald) As a pet owner, I would purchase photographs of my pup on vacation, and as a photographer – I could use a job. :) People love their pets as much as their kids… in some cases more. Way to go Disney!

EVELYN on September 2nd, 2010 at 10:53 am

I can’t wait to get there. Leaving in 2 weeks. My Labrador “Gunnie” has a reservation for the deluxe VIP suite….My husband just laughs, he said next time instead of staying at the Grand Floridian Resort. We should just make a reservation for the kennel…(my dog would be less spoiled at the Grand Floridian Resort….lol). The prices are perfect. I live in South Florida and when we left Gunnie for 2 nites, it cost $79 a nite. plus $5 extra for every walk. I have already talked to “gunnie” and told him about it… I have been leaving Gunnie there since he was 8 weeks old. And they take 100% perfect care of him. They treat him just like I would. Everytime we go he is very happy..I would recommed this kennel to EVERYONE…The staff is an “A” in our book. (oh and don’t forget they get a report card at the end of the stay)….SPOIL YOUR POOCH……

Donna from NH on September 2nd, 2010 at 11:56 am

I think this looks like a great facility. We were at FW until 8/29 and saw them working on it. I do wish, however, that they would keep the one in FW open. How are those that have their dogs with them in their camper, but don’t have a car, going to get their dogs to this new facility? It didn’t look like the parking lot would be able to take campers and many of us that stay at FW take our dogs, but sometimes would like to board them when we are going to be gone a long time.

Doreen on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I think this is absolutely a wonderful idea, I do wish Disney would at least have one hotel that the dogs could stay in the rooms with us, then we could still have them with us at night and they could play all day!

Mary from PA on September 3rd, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I agree, pictures of your pets with the characters is a cute idea. I think they would sell for sure. And I think it’s only a matter of time until Disney gives in to the demand for a pet friendly hotel. I hope they’re working on it.

Sinea from NY on September 3rd, 2010 at 3:15 pm

This dog resort looks great! Must be fun to work there, too.