Disney's Electrical Parade

Update: Watch ‘Let the Memories Begin’ Announcement

posted on September 23rd, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Update: September 23: Did you miss today’s live coverage of the “Let the Memories Begin” announcement in New York City? We’re sharing it again – click the video player below to see it.

It’s time – we’re ready to raise the curtain on some exciting plans at Disney Parks and it’s something you’ll certainly want to check out. Our live stream of the special announcement begins right here on the Disney Parks Blog today at 12:45 p.m. EST.

We’re also providing live updates from the New York City announcement on our main @DisneyParks Twitter account and the Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Facebook pages.

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Margaret from GA on September 23rd, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I am very excited to have the opportunity to watch this today. I am hoping that my Florida parks get a little pixie dust in today’s announcement.

Daniel from FL on September 23rd, 2010 at 12:25 pm

hope it’s the return of the Dreamfinder

Rindy on September 23rd, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I can’t wait to hear the big news!!!!

Charlotte from WV on September 23rd, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Waiting!

Pam from NJ on September 23rd, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I’m so excited – can’t wait!

Thomas on September 23rd, 2010 at 12:33 pm

EXCITED TO SEE WHAT IS HAPPENING !!! MY WIFE AND ARE 2 KIDS WERE THERE IN MARCH OF THIS YEAR FOR A WEEK AND WE ARE PLANNING TO GO FEB 28 2011 TO MARCH 9 2011 FOR 10 DAYS !!! OUR SON WILL BE 2 AND OUR DAUGHTER WILL BE 3 THIS TIME AND THIS TIME WE ARE ALSO BRINGING MY MOTHER IN LAW !!! HOPING IT IS SOMETHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH THE PARKS IN FLORIDA !!!!

diane on September 23rd, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Does any one know when small world is opening again????

Paul from MI on September 23rd, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Has it started yet?

Jason on September 23rd, 2010 at 12:54 pm

well this is embarrassing…or am I the only one who can’t get the video, or the page to load 6 times out of 7?

Michele from NJ on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I hope I can view it….seems to be systems problems.

Ian on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Come on the return of The Adventurers Club and all of Pleasure Island as a night life district (Clubs, Not Shops and restaurants!)

barbie from FL on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Its 12:53, does anyone else have a off air message?

Teresa from PA on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I really hope you have this available later for viewing since I am unable to watch via blog site, facebook, uStream, or any other way! Darn, I wanted to see this

Michelle from NC on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I still can’t get the big announcement. I’ve had off air messages & blank pages along with database errors. Really disappointing

Deborah on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Is this going to replace the classic song “it’s a small world” when you ride it?

Tim on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Let The Webcast, er Memories, Begin! :)

Chris on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:44 pm

If you missed the webcast, it is summed up in Thomas Smith’s latest blog entry. The announcement was simply to unveil the “Let the Memories Begin” campaign. No big announcements beyond that.

Travis from NH on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I think I know what my worst Disney Memory is now. The press event could’ve been so much better.

Albert on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Wow, that was disappointing. I was looking forward to some news about new attractions, or expansions at the parks.

Andre on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Well that was rather underwhelming. I love the slogan “Let the Memories Begin”, but the rest was completely forgetable.

The big finish being that you’re going to project vacation snaps onto the Castle?! I’m sorry but in general it’s better to have the public watching, rather than being watched. As TV tends to prove these days.

Thor from CA on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I think Disney Parks Blog had some technical difficulties this morning, or maybe server overload, as it was totally down during this presentation for me and apparently everyone else.

I was able to visit a 3rd party Disney fan website and view the Ustream video live from that other website. Nice to hear the rumored Memories campaign was confirmed. But other than that, this was an opportunity for Disney to look at their webcasting techniques.

Dan on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Small World re-opens on October 23rd.

Jim on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Have to agree that the press conference was somewhat of a disappointment; while I thought that the theme of the new campaign was a good one (and I enjoyed the family home video clips that were sprinkled in there), I was hoping to see some new things at Walt Disney World that would make people forget all about the Wizardign World of Harry Potter. Instead, we got a commercial for a series of commercials.

Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:55 pm

It was only mildly amusing and sorry but not as exciting as I imagined it was going to be. Hardly worth a formal press announcement with live coverage. I found a link to the expansion of the Paris park to be more exciting.

Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Disappointing.

Scott from IL on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Wow, all that for an annoucement of a slideshow on the castle? FAIL!

Chris on September 23rd, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Has everyone forgotten that next year is WDW’s 40th? I was thinking there would be some announcements about that.

Michael on September 23rd, 2010 at 2:02 pm

It was great to be included in a live event, but yeah, that was underwhelming. Hey Disney folks! You might want to set a teeny bit of expectations next time. “Come join us as we reveal our newest Disney Parks theme for next year! See the song debut, check out the commercials, and see special celebrity guests!” Some people thought they were seeing a new theme park or new rides that had not yet made it to the press. We love social media, we really do. But I’m not sure if I’m excited to know my photo’s going to be seen on the castle unless I know I’ll be there to see it or be able to snag a photo of it for my family.

Shaun from IN on September 23rd, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I have to admit that the Press Conference was bleh….. This coming from a huge Disney fan and a Marketing Consultant… I would have thought that the Press conference would have been more magical and exciting coming from the the leader in media and magic.

It sounded as if there were 4 people in the audience and they were being forced to clap….. Love Disney but dissapointed with this…. Get em next time?

Steven on September 23rd, 2010 at 2:05 pm

It was fitting that the event was hosted by Tom Bergeron. The whole thing was a joke. If you want to make an announcement via a live stream and build buzz about it, have something exciting to announce. And talk to Steve Jobs about how to do presentations that can make even mundane announcements seem magical.

All that said, I am excited about this new presentation because just like the fireworks and parades, it will suck people out of the rides so that the lines are shorter and those of us who like the rides can do more of them in a shorter period of time.

Mike from FL on September 23rd, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I’ve gotta agree that this event was a little oversold. I think the campaign itself is a great idea, and I’m really glad to see Disney embracing social media and trying to create really personal experiences.

However, there was just too much hype behind this event (even with it just being announced yesterday) and not much was delivered. Apart from the campaign, the only things discussed were minor updates regarding attractions and expansions we’ve known about for months.

Disney’s never made a big public to-do about their new marketing campaigns. Even with the more personal nature of this campaign, I don’t see the need to change the announcement format. I think it just set people up for disappointment.

Perhaps next time you should be a little more revealing when you first mention this kind of thing. If we had known yesterday that today’s announcement was going to be revealing a new promotional campaign, I don’t think anybody would have been disappointed. Not knowing anything about it, all us imaginative Disney fans filled our heads with lofty possibilities and cool new E-Ticket attractions. When we didn’t get that, we were disappointed.

It’s marketing 101, and something that Disney is really great at usually: under-promise & over-deliver. This event was the opposite.

Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 at 2:07 pm

What an absolute letdown that was!!

Chris on September 23rd, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I had high hopes. I’m not only disappointed because it’s just a marketing event, I’m disappointed that I wasted my precious time watching a big commercial about commercials.

Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I expected so much more. Still love the place! But really that’s all?

Albert on September 23rd, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Jim… I agree. I like the idea of the new campaign, but if Disney is going to put out all this hype and roll out all the bells and whistels, I want something more. I kept waiting for an Apple style “oh and one more thing”

william on September 23rd, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Yep….gotta agree this was disappointing. When this was announced on the blog, I was calling all my disney fan friends and telling them something big was coming. If there had been an announcement of at least ONE new ride I wouldve been happy. This was just pathetic. I do like the new theme and those commercials are going to make me cry. BUT why not just do a press release and suprise us with the commercials?? Meh!

Lucia from FL on September 23rd, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I expected more too :(

Shane from Suffolk on September 23rd, 2010 at 2:47 pm

What looks like a screensaver on the castle versus the most amazing themed ride experience down the road starring a certain wizard. Disney really need to get back on top again!

Shaun on September 23rd, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Wow, that was a letdown. No mention of New Fantasyland, Dwarfs ride or anything else fun.

Chris on September 23rd, 2010 at 2:59 pm

LOL! We should all be excited! Hasn’t everyone always dreamt of seeing a slideshow on Cinderlla’s Castle? :-) And how ingenious – Disney had a press conference to tell us that we are doing the campaign for them.

bernadette from CA on September 23rd, 2010 at 3:20 pm

If you see what Disney and the “idea’ is all about, you would appreciate it!! WHEN will this be starting??? I have sooo Many wonderful different memories at Disney…. It is “interactive”
and now I see why they may of done the World of Color Road Shows!! Good “test” Disney!!!

Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Thank you Disney!! The years spent with you have been so SPECIAL to me and my family!!! HI HO!!!!

Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Hi, Ajesh here. I love it!

Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Boring!

Paul on September 23rd, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I like the concept of webcasting, but was hoping for more content in this Special Announcement. If you read the many other comments, your Fans want more information on projects etc.

Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 at 5:24 pm

this is AWESOME!

Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I say in Orlando you must reopen alll the clubs at PI(Pleasure Island).we the people of the people alll love it out there and by closeing alll the clubs you toook away are place to play..

Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 at 6:59 pm

YAWN…

Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 at 7:05 pm

the host is annoying!!

Nancy on September 23rd, 2010 at 7:40 pm

I love the song “Let the Memories Begin” i hope that song is played during the song. Disney finally getting back to those feel good songs