Cinderella Castle at Magic Kingdom Park

Behind-the-Scenes Video: How We Created the Giant Pumpkins at the Entrance to Disneyland Park and on Main Street, U.S.A.

posted on October 27th, 2010 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

Giant Mickey Pumpkin

Have you ever looked at the giant pumpkins that tower above the gates of Disneyland park and wondered as you passed through the turnstiles: “How did they do that?” Or, have you ever taken a picture with the smiling, Mickey-shaped jack o’ lantern on Main Steet, U.S.A., and asked, “How did that get here?”

While the coy response would be, “It’s magic,” it’s sometimes even more magical to see how we make this magic happen.

Take a look at this footage, originally shot in 2006, that gives a behind-the-scenes look at how the giant pumpkins were carved, sanded, finished, painted and installed with cranes for the first Halloween blowout celebration at Disneyland park.

Check back on the Blog tomorrow for another behind-the-scenes video about pumpkins around the Resort.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Nicole on October 27th, 2010 at 1:18 pm

YAY! Hooray for Mickey Pumpkins! We are going in 2 days and the family is sooo excited! I hope it doesn’t rain :( then again maybe it will keep crowds away…*fingers crossed* My favorite pumpkins in DL are the ones on the Mansion stuck through the spikes :)

Adne on October 27th, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I so badly want to work as an Disney Imageneer too, but what kind of scoolarchip do I need to have? and what kinds of jobs are there for me to do? is there a phone number I can call?

Alpha from CA on October 27th, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Love these behind the scenes blogs. Boy did these pumpkins over the entry stations need a refresher paint job this year………it was a bit sad to those of us that have seen them since the first year!

Devyn on October 27th, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Love this video! What material are they made out of? It looks almost clay like, but lighter.

Sarah on October 27th, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Thank you for posting this video, Heather! It’s fun seeing how the Imagineers created these amazing pumpkins. We were at Disneyland for Mickey’s Halloween Party on Oct. 19th and spent an additional (wonderful, magical) three days there afterward. One of the main things on my “to-do list” was having our family’s picture taken in front of the giant Mickey pumpkin on Main St. It’s a fantastic photo-op!

Fred from CA on October 27th, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Great video.

Connie from CA on October 27th, 2010 at 2:44 pm

VERY cool!

Mary on October 27th, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Mary from Santa Barbara, CA

It is so amazing what Imagineering does to prep for the up coming Holiday. Even though I am a former Cast Member I am still in “Ah” when I get threw the gates of Disneyland. I feel like I am a small child walking in to the parks for first time. Disney thanks for sharing the behind the scense, I really enjoy watching it…..

Elise from VA on October 27th, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I miss Disneyland so much. My son and I used to go every week with our annual passes. Missing out on so much. I want to take him back to visit Disneyland and California adventure when I have enough money to get us there again. The Disney creations are just amazing. Growing up on Disney was fantastic.

Catherine on October 27th, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Thanks for the informative video. I love all the creative work and care Disneyland puts into Halloween. The displays in Frointerland are wonderful to especially the Dia de los Muetros.

Michelle on October 27th, 2010 at 6:32 pm

I never really thought about the fact that these things have to be carved by hand. Amazing! Thanks for sharing! :)

Jill from CA on October 27th, 2010 at 10:17 pm

That is so cool! I had my pic taken in front of the Mickey’s Halloween Pumpkin at the party on the 15th.

Brian from CA on October 27th, 2010 at 11:16 pm

I love the pumkins at DL, I love seeing the giant one on main street and the different land characters in by the partners statcue!

Douglas from MD on October 28th, 2010 at 7:57 am

Amazing, Great video!

Francisco on October 28th, 2010 at 1:15 pm

WOW! Very talented artists! Love these videos, keep them coming!

matt on October 29th, 2010 at 9:25 am

Awesome! I loved the Donald Duck one the most.

Dana on November 2nd, 2010 at 2:23 pm

My 12 year old just loves this pumpkin so for Halloween my husband re created it in a smaller version(of course) my daughter dressed up as Alice and was very proud of her Mickey pumpkin!